Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I didn't have any performance issues at all on my old Intel Q9550 and GTX 480. Weird you're having some on a modern setup. Might be a compatibility issue of some kind, new drivers or Win10 or whatever. I could maybe test it out at some point, I have a 1060 too now.

Barbalos

Savant
I didn't have any performance issues at all on my old Intel Q9550 and GTX 480. Weird you're having some on a modern setup. Might be a compatibility issue of some kind, new drivers or Win10 or whatever. I could maybe test it out at some point, I have a 1060 too now.

I had forgotten, but now that you mention it, your driver comment fits with what I read on the Ubisoft forums (which have a lot of posts about MMX lag/performance); reverting your drivers back to an older version did apparently fix the lag for some people. It's too bad that those posts are generally from 2014-15, so those drivers would be ancient by now.

Curratum

MnM X has shit performance no matter what hardware you run it on, it's just Unity being Unity in the hands of shitty devs. I can almost smell how Underworld Ascendant will too run at a silky smooth 20 fps.

Curratum

My 4-year-old kid caught me playing MnM 8 and wanted me to explain what's going on. I told him part of the plot and how we're a band of heroes and now he's having a blast walking around maps I've cleared of enemies, casting flight and zooming around, visiting random houses, town portalling around the map and looking at the minotaurs that are for some reason particularly fun.

He also likes to visit Ironsand and talk to the troll peasants and warriors there, while telling me they're really pretty and not ugly at all...

Ah, the perks of parenthood!

newtmonkey

Arcane
Might & Magic Book 1

Not sure how I feel about this one, after playing Wizardry.

It starts out pretty amazing, where you feel like you have so many options as to what to do next. However, once you explore Sorpigal, the dungeon underneath Sorpigal, and the Sorpigal wilderness, you'll probably be around level 3-5 (depending on what kind of encounters you've lucked into, whether you've grinded levels, etc.).

My problem here is, once you reach this point, pretty much every area you have access to is extremely dangerous for a level 3-5 party. Exploring the wilderness seems to be the safest bet, but the encounters seem totally random- sometimes you'll get stuff you encountered back in the halls of Sorpigal, then suddenly you'll run into some super group of enemies that all have ranged/area attacks doing 5-15 damage to each character, each attack. There doesn't seem to be any clever way to get around any of this, and spells are pretty much useless at this point (1-5 damage against a single enemy??? lolz).

I spent a good 20 minutes rerolling, and I thought I had decent stats (15 or above in recommended stats for each class)... but my knight and paladin probably miss 75% of the time in combat. Pretty frustrating.

I figured you are just supposed to level up a bit by fighting fixed encounters, but 99% of the time I am encountering animals/undead which leave no gold when you defeat them, so I am sitting here earning experience and that's about it.

Someone had recommended to run through the fixed encounters in the Sorpigal jail to accumulate gold and magic items, but I am just encountering animals/slimes/undead constantly. Dunno what's going on.

[Edit] Forgot the other annoying thing. The only way to get gold or magic items at all is to open chests/bags, and even if you are using your Robber, there's a very high chance you'll trip the trap—which also has a high chance of poisoning you, which is 25 gold per character to cure. When you are struggling to earn even 100 FUCKING GOLD PIECES (?!?!??!!) that is like 5-10 minutes of encounters down the drain.

[Edit 2] Okay, I just spent 15 mins running easy fixed encounters in Sorpigal to get enough gold to get half my party to level 5. The other half are the "advanced" classes that require more experience, so I'll probably get them up to level 5 tomorrow, and then see from there if I can actually go anywhere without immediately getting wiped.

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
Best to stay inside at your level where there are less dragons. Try going down rather than up. Most of the time, a wall is a wall. Most of the time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Like MM2 MM1 is partly level scaled, so in the wilderness monsters will level with you, but some areas have a higher minimum level than others. And Sorpigal of course have a very low max level.

In the beginning, before you can cast Cure Poison and money is still scarce, my advice is to avoid locked doors, and instead return to them at a later stage to avoid spending your loot on curing poison.
Also, IIRC the prices for temple services and training vary between the towns.

MM 1 and 2 are definitely much harder than Wiz 1-3 in the beginning.

EDIT: Sceptic, "NO" what?
There is definitely level scaling, but more subtle than in MM2 and harder to notice.

Last edited:
The default M&M1 party is actually very OP in terms of stat rolls. Compare them to your party and see what the gap is, most likely you're actually underpowered no matter how much you've rolled. Same goes for M&M2-5, though past 2 it doesn't really matter since stats go up way easier and the overall difficulty is far lower.

There's at least one semi-exploitable repeatable quest that can be done to power level your party very quickly. Involves warping back and forth between the towns.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Some of the towns (not Portsmith) and their dungeons are probably the safest bet. The outdoor areas around Sorpigal too, but there are some nasty fixed encounters.
Most of the castles are pretty safe too, but beware of raising the alarm since it will increased the level range of the monsters on the map.
Make sure you cast Levitate to avoid traps.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My 4-year-old kid caught me playing MnM 8 and wanted me to explain what's going on. I told him part of the plot and how we're a band of heroes and now he's having a blast walking around maps I've cleared of enemies, casting flight and zooming around, visiting random houses, town portalling around the map and looking at the minotaurs that are for some reason particularly fun.

He also likes to visit Ironsand and talk to the troll peasants and warriors there, while telling me they're really pretty and not ugly at all...

Ah, the perks of parenthood!

Be careful with your parenting, you're following a dark path, starting this young, he'll probably beat his first M&M when he turns 8 and wipe the whole serie twice by 12.
And then, he'll be left with no more decent RPG to play for the rest of his life.

Curratum

MnMs are just that, the same as chocolate M&Ms, they taste good but are nothing exceptional. I'm waiting for him to learn enough English so I can throw some Infinity Engine games at him.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Well, I got everyone up to level 5, because I realized that the hallway of fixed encounters in the dungeon below Sorpigal are 100% fixed (the same encounter every time), and that the final encounter (against fire ants) is easily won with the Produce Frost spell and guarantees a treasure chest drop.

Getting to level 5 for my Sorcerer finally got me access to level 3 spells i.e. AoE damage. This made things a lot easier, but the game is still balanced like shit—in fact, it's not balanced whatsoever, making the game pretty much mindless. I mean, when you step into a square in any area other than Sorpigal, you could get a group of skeletons that are barely a threat to a level 1 party, or a group of 10 barbarians that do 12-18 damage per hit and are completely unbeatable for a level 5 party.

How do you prepare for something like this, other than throwing yourself over and over and over at an area until you luck out and get an encounter that you can possibly handle? It's not like there are any tactics you can use.

I mean, compare this with Wizardry 1, where every time I reached a new dungeon level, it felt like I was at just the right level of difficulty... where I would feel just a bit out of my depth, but knew that I could use some clever spellcasting to get through any sudden tough encounters. And then, by the time I got halfway through exploring the level, things would ease up and I could go longer and longer between explorations.

With M&M, it's like, get party wiped, restart, map 3 squares, party wipe, restart, etc etc etc...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There's always the Run option...

Once you get enough money, throw it away at the Temples (different prices in different towns IIRC) to get a major Blessing.
And there are buffing spells you should always have active, like Levitation, Leather Skin and all the Protection from anything but Fear (I don't think any monster has a Fear attack) spells, and later spells that protect from surprise.

Sleep and Web spells are usually effective against mammal monsters.
There are items that cast spells, so non magic users can cast healing spells, for example.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Wow, replaying (well, mostly testing for now) M&M III to V with Jeff's mods is amazing.

Also, the cartographer's puzzle/riddle in Darkside is one of my favorite quest in PC RPG history.
One of the most boring dungeon of RPG history is in Clouds (Dwarf Mines : which is basically 8 similar and never ending floors )

Now, i wish i could re-cast my vote, my favorite is definitely MM3, better character portraits (it's a pain to find 6 decent ones starting with Clouds ) and hirelings !
Why the hell did they discard those for Xeen ?

It's a conspiracy !

Anyway, Isles of Terra FIRST !

newtmonkey

Arcane
octavius
Thanks for the info!
I think the problem is with this particular point in the game. There are a lot more mobs I can handle now that I have AoE spells, but I can still get unlucky and get a wipe from a random encounter with very little I could do to prevent it. I've found that I can reliably run from trash encounters, but anything that I would actually WANT to run from, blocks me haha.

I do cast Leather Skin each day, but very rarely do I run into enemies that do elemental damage (I think anyway). I also cast Levitate in dungeons, but at this point there are very few dungeons that are survivable.

I'll give sleep another shot, I have not been able to get it stick to anything yet!

Having said that, I got sick of throwing myself against the wall, so I went to Erliquin (sp?), mapped it out, and it seems like it might be a good place to level up a bit as I can handle every mob I encountered (sadly, no fixed encounter squares from what I can tell). The dungeon beneath the town is sadly not an option, due to the zap squares/barriers. I can also explore a bit more of the overworld thanks to my Sorcerer.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Wow, replaying (well, mostly testing for now) M&M III to V with Jeff's mods is amazing.

Also, the cartographer's puzzle/riddle in Darkside is one of my favorite quest in PC RPG history.
One of the most boring dungeon of RPG history is in Clouds (Dwarf Mines : which is basically 8 similar and never ending floors )

it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a mandatory location right at the start. If you have to throw tedium at a player, don't do it right away.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a mandatory location right at the start. If you have to throw tedium at a player, don't do it right away.

That's for sure, and that annoying moron at the end putting your whole team to sleep, luckily, he's one anemic dwarf.

Well, the good thing is dungeons are quite different from one another and with different mechanism, that's refreshing, like the witch tower, the cauldrons and the talking skulls taking your gems for some crappy life advice (or some spells to teach you) and the yak temple with switches and characteristics pools that makes you sick/drunk or the one that kills you ^^

And even better, you can teleport through areas you couldn't unlock if you don't want to bother with the switches.

The false freedom to hike and watch flowers not growing you thought you had in recent 3D "RPG", you had it for real in M&M.

A selected few RPG invented some little improvements that weren't in those pioneer games (except for 3D shit, crashes and staring at loading screens for ages )

tindrli

Arcane
can anyone help me. im trying to replay MM7 after more than 10 years.
I installed GOG mm7
i applyed Mr. Greyface patch and Mouse look patch
i installed dgvodoo 2.
i put (DDraw.dll, D3DImm.dll, D3D8.dll) in main game directory.
i followed all procedure from this site
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/16658
XElRiux.png

and also direct x tab
sQ84cFJ.png

hited apply and OK .
No matter what i do like setting different resolution, starting with mm7setup.exe (with full screen or windowd or software3d or hardware accelerated, starting mm7.exe, starting mm7 laucher, starting from desktop shortcut.
no matter what i do i get this.

i7TTfaZ.jpg

its just too small to play :(
can anyone help me set it right? what am i dooing wrong?
thanx in advance

tindrli

Arcane
ok i got it right. i dont know how or what happend but i deleted everything and did all things again from scratch and it worked!!!!!!!
thanx mr. octavius for pointing me this thread and suggestions!.

just one more thing. is any mod good for replay like that

Jeff Ludwig's patch

or that Maestro MOD + Rev4mod

or something else?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I reinstalled it as well, didn't have anything to do with the voodoo thing, just type esc at the grey screen and everything's fine.

Wanted to try Jeff's mod as well (it's installed) but i didn't remember the battle system, i have to put it in manual mode every single time, seriously, is it a mod problem or is it the way it's supposed to play, i can't remember but i thought you could trigger the turn based mode automatically when a monster attacks..

I think i'll keep playing Isles of terra (and Xeen when i feel like i don't know where to go in Terra )

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Hmm, I think I'll pick up my Might and Magic full series playthrough again. Stopped at Secrets of the Inner Sanctum because I'm one lazy/busy motherfucker. Gotta see where I left off last lol. Hopefully I'll be able to remember

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, as i can't recast my vote, my new list after trying to replay M&M VII with mods (i voted VII from memory/nostalgia, silly me )

1 - Might & Magic III : Isles of Terra
2 - Might & Magic IV - V : World of Xeen (some improvements from III but some decline too which isn't allowed, it has to improve only, motherfuckers )
3 - Might & Magic X (Overall, it's so much better than VI - VIII, IX didn't happen, right ? ) still loading time and travelling are an issue in this one, a real shame because it was Might & Magic strong suit (travelling ) ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom