Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite areas in RPGs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Peragus is not bright and cheery, lol. It's lonely and big, and empty, and echoing. And some of those echoes are death wails.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
- The ghost ship in Buck Rogers : Countdown to Doomsday, great sci-fi-horror moment.

- The psychedelic network area in Wasteland, very wtf up to how it plays, very fun to play.

- The spider floor in Eye Of The Beholder, when you only have "Slow poison".

- The area where you crash in Centauri Alliance, with anti-magic and weakening fields and so on.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Adom - Dark Forge
Fallout - West Tek research facility(The Glow)
Wizards & Warriors - Boogre Caves
Deus Ex - VersaLife headquarters

Sykar

Arcane
Many of my favorites have been already mentioned but I sorely miss one of the most atmospheric games, Diablo 1.

In particular Tristram itself, I could sometimes just chill to the music while relaxing for a few minutes. For the combat areas, the Cathedral and the Crypt are my two favorite areas, they are wonderfully eerie and creepy fitting perfectly with such a hopeless setting.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Gothic 2: Xardas' hidden Tower - ...that can be seen from anywhere on the map.

Deus Ex: UNATCO HQ - Homebase, before you're captured and have to escape it's underground facility empty handed.

U7: The Fellowship Church in Britannia - Stealing from the donation box, then hacking a Chaplin in half if caught - during a sermon :lol:

VTMB - Chinatown.

Freedom Force vs The Third Reich - Any part in the 1940's with Gorilla henchman attacking your squad.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Things that have stuck with me years after I played through them is my criteria for what I consider "favorite."

Mask of the Betrayer: Standing inside the ribcage of the dead god Nergal and talking to him as he floats in the astral plane.

Star Control 2: Finding the Arilou homeworld in quasi-space, and listening to them talk about how they've been messing with human genetics for hundreds of thousands of years.

Ultima Underworld: Like, all of it.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Pool of Radiance - The Old Rope Guild, the maze around Valjevo Castle, Mendor’s Library, Valhingen Graveyard and the Magic Pyramid on the river Stojanow. These will be forever burned in my memory.

Also roaming around Moander’s body in Pools of Darkness.

Dorateen

Arcane
I would have to mention New City in Crusaders of the Dark Savant

When I played, I reached the location before finding the journey map kit outside. So it was very much a trial for the party, mapping and exploring the city for the first time. In addition, there are zones that need to be revisited and a sense of unlocking more content as you progress through the adventure. The cobblestone/brick work design, scrubs of grass cropping through the pavement, and Bradley's prose contribute greatly to the atmosphere of "some dark cloud descending upon the place, choking from it the sparkle of life".

Nas92

Augur
Deus Ex - Basically, the entirety of Paris. The streets of Paris under martial law, the MJ12 infested Catacombs, DuClare Chateau, the Cathedral, Everett's home. Hearing Icarus for the first time in the sewers is a great moment.

Kotor - Tatooine and Manaan. Nar Shadda and Onderon from Kotor 2.

Baldur's Gate 2 - Waukeen's Promenade, but the entirety of Athkatla qualifies. Also Baldur's Gate from the first game.

Fallout - Military Base and the Cathedral. Lucky 38 from New Vegas.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gothic - Old Camp
Gothic II - Mine Valley
Gothic 3 - Monastery
KotoR - Manaan, Korriban
KotoR II - Onderon, Dxun
MotB - Ashenwood
Vampire: Bloodlines - Confession, Ventrue Tower
The Witcher II - Loc Muinne
The Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine - Corvo Bianco
Several locations in Deus Ex, Deus Ex: IW, Max Payne and Max Payne 2.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Planar Prison in BG2 where you get to save Haer Dalis. I almost every time go there right when I get out from chateau Irenicus.

Sure it's tough, especially with SCS on Insane.

laclongquan

Arcane
Arcanum. It's miles and miles of bloody Tarant. Poking our nose into the neighborhood necromancer's underground base. Sneak into the disputed factory. Wandering over the ground where the witch live to buy some potions. Splurge on library's technical books for sale and heavily laden like a mule to carry it back to where you store stuffs.

Egosphere

Arcane
Arcanum. It's miles and miles of bloody Tarant. Poking our nose into the neighborhood necromancer's underground base. Sneak into the disputed factory. Wandering over the ground where the witch live to buy some potions. Splurge on library's technical books for sale and heavily laden like a mule to carry it back to where you store stuffs.

It's a pity that the buildings in Tarant all look quite same-y apart from Bates' mansion and the train station. It's a bitch to navigate on foot.

Egosphere

Arcane
That's what the signs are for dumbass.

Yeah it's still a bitch to navigate, since you're hovering over all of them to find that one building you need for the next quest. It also needed a couple more bridges to connect the central park area with Lion's head and Polton Cross to cut down the legwork if you need to travel by foot. Those steamrails devour your money when you're just starting off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom