Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Superb mega mod for MM7

nomask7

Arcane
Or so I've heard, from people who ought to know. Someone said it made MM7 his favorite game of the three (MM6, MM7, MM8), MM6 of course being the previous favorite.

Can be found here:

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... sc&start=0

I read the comments elsewhere, and that description looks a bit outdated. The mod used to change only the light path, now everything. It says three months of work, but that should be three months and one year.

There's also a Might & Magic X in the works, almost completed in fact:

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... php?t=9117

nomask7

Arcane
There's a small separate mod for that purpose, which works along with the big mod.

nomask7

Arcane
Description of the MOK patch for MM6 :)

- Fixes from patches 1.1 and 1.2 are included.
- Small updates to Miles Sound System (4.0b to 4.0g) and Smacker (3.1n to 3.1s)
- Fixed broken doors in Shadow Guild and Kriegspire Castle.
- Fixed shield and armor recovery (Thanks to Mike Kienenberger for the fix).
- Caps Lock key will toggle running/walking
- Fixed CD Audio initialization. Music will play even if CD2 isn't in the first CD-ROM drive in your system.
- Buggy harddrive free space check removed.
- Added a few configuration options to mm6.ini file located in the games directory:

[Settings]
AlwaysRun=1
FlipOnExit=0
LoudMusic=0

> AlwaysRun enables running. If you press Shift you'll walk. Default is 1 (enabled). Always disabled before the patch.
> FlipOnExit turns your party when you exit a building. Default is 0 (disabled). Always enabled before the patch.
> LoudMusic sets the maxium volume of in-game CD Music to maximum of your normal Windows CD Audio Volume Slider. Normally the game sets it to half the volume which is too quiet for some setups. Default is 0 (disabled). Always disabled before the patch.

Luzur

Good Sir
been keeping an eye on those remakes and mods, and i must say they got far ahead of Might & Magic Tribute, which seems to have collapsed into a coma lately.

but my favourite games in the M&M series is still Might & Magic III - V.

Korgan

Arbiter
Can you foil a plot by greedy gnomes to fake a genocide against them so everyone would give them money?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Luzur said:
Absolutely.

Freelook and freemoving have no place in a Might And Magic game, IMO.

aleph

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:

qft.

MM7 is still quite enjoyable, though.

nomask7

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Luzur said:
Absolutely.

They may be better as slide shows, but are they better as games?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well, here is a thing about the Might And Magic games III, IV, and V.

They were strictly turn-based games. Unlike Might And Magic VI which had a default real-time mode, and required you to *switch* to a turn-based mode, and then limit your movement in turn-based so you would have to go back to real-time.

That is so awfully stilted. One feels more relaxed playing those three early MM games. Besides, the tile-based right-angle turn style is just more suited to the turn-based combat. Because then in battles, all decisions you take resemble precise chesslike moves.

Everything you do is coordinated with your position on a particular tile. Supposing there is a creature two steps away that can tear you apart in meelee, but can be taken down with spells. You use your teleportation spell to teleport four tiles ahead of him, so you can turn back, cast a spell again, and keep it in a disadvantage.

Besides, having tiles means that each step consumes a definite amount of time based on your Speed attribute, so it's very advantageous in determining who will act first after a movement. Sometimes, a creature is so fast that it can move and cast spells within its own turn before you do. So it is better you engage it meelee immediately before being battered by its spells.

Most of all with the tile-based world, often crossing lava pits and unbeatable monsters would require you to teleport ahead of them. It required you to use the Wizard's Eye spell, with which you got a top down view of the area, and you could calculate which tile to teleport to at a time without being affected by any environmental or living hazard. It allowed you to see which corridors were there beyond the walls, so you could teleport into those corridors and and conveniently calculate your movement.

jorgamesh

Novice
nomask7 said:
Or so I've heard, from people who ought to know. Someone said it made MM7 his favorite game of the three (MM6, MM7, MM8), MM6 of course being the previous favorite.

Can be found here:

I read the comments elsewhere, and that description looks a bit outdated. The mod used to change only the light path, now everything. It says three months of work, but that should be three months and one year.

This is out of date. Maestro mod is the way to go. It already incorporates above mentioned mod. :wink:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9617

nomask7

Arcane
jorgamesh said:
nomask7 said:

Can be found here:

This is out of date. Maestro mod is the way to go. It already incorporates above mentioned mod. :wink:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9617
Damn those things are difficult to find. Isn't there any site that has everything up-to-date and easy to find (or something even remotly close to that)? What does this mod do, in general terms, that the previous one doesn't? I found some info on a planned version of it in another forum, and the planned changes seem rather insignificant (changing armor types, changing sprites to more realistic-looking ones, changing sound effects) as well as questionable (ditto).

nomask7

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Well, here is a thing about the Might And Magic games III, IV, and V.

They were strictly turn-based games. Unlike Might And Magic VI which had a default real-time mode, and required you to *switch* to a turn-based mode, and then limit your movement in turn-based so you would have to go back to real-time.

That is so awfully stilted. One feels more relaxed playing those three early MM games. Besides, the tile-based right-angle turn style is just more suited to the turn-based combat. Because then in battles, all decisions you take resemble precise chesslike moves.

Everything you do is coordinated with your position on a particular tile. Supposing there is a creature two steps away that can tear you apart in meelee, but can be taken down with spells. You use your teleportation spell to teleport four tiles ahead of him, so you can turn back, cast a spell again, and keep it in a disadvantage.

Besides, having tiles means that each step consumes a definite amount of time based on your Speed attribute, so it's very advantageous in determining who will act first after a movement. Sometimes, a creature is so fast that it can move and cast spells within its own turn before you do. So it is better you engage it meelee immediately before being battered by its spells.

Most of all with the tile-based world, often crossing lava pits and unbeatable monsters would require you to teleport ahead of them. It required you to use the Wizard's Eye spell, with which you got a top down view of the area, and you could calculate which tile to teleport to at a time without being affected by any environmental or living hazard. It allowed you to see which corridors were there beyond the walls, so you could teleport into those corridors and and conveniently calculate your movement.
Thanks.

tindrli

Arcane
i want to start MM7 after more than 10 years. apart from Mr. Grayface patch are there any worthwhile mods/patches

thanx

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Use dgVoodo for best graphics on a modern computer.
Check the main M&M thread (recent postings) for details.

tindrli

Arcane
Use dgVoodo for best graphics on a modern computer.
Check the main M&M thread (recent postings) for details.

cant make dgvoodoo work. seems im getting stupid. i configured everything as suggested in forum and still when i run it as suggested in mm7setup i get 4:3 small screen in the middle and its just too small to play.. hitting F4 several time as suggested in dgvoodoo forum is not working in my case. do you know what am i dooing wrong?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You need to put the DLL files in the same directory as MM7.EXE.
Also the dgVoodoo.conf needs to be copied to that directory or changes you make will not take.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Try starting MM7.exe directly from within the directory, or make a new shortcut to the desktop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom