Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I think David probably gave up on the Codex, unfortunately. You're stuck with me. ;)

Silva: we're getting wildly different (almost polar opposite) feedback at this moment. Several people have won the game on their first try and report even repeated runs were too easy.
Check the SA thread for examples: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859663
(I passed on your feedback)

Shaewaroz: no "DLC", but coming patches will contain some new content. (can't say what exactly. For sure there will be more faces for circle members and possibly some improved scene art) There may be additional events added later, but I can't promise that.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
https://www.pockettactics.com/articles/david-dunham-talks-to-us-about-six-ages-opening-weekend/

Based on current sales data, Six Ages has so far sold at 96% the rate of King of Dragon Pass when that released on the App store in 2011. It’s probably not going to top many charts (apart from in Finland, apparently, where it’s #1), but it’s enough for David to consider it a success. "If this holds up for a month,” he stated, "we will be able to start work on the next game in the Six Ages series: Lights Going Out."

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Ive played KoDP off and on, but barely know how the system actually works. Apart from heroquests, are any of the decisions for the events inherently, and always bad? (Or good for that matter?), or is there a mix of randomness, and situational difference in what makes for the best choice? I know that in some cases your choice is dependent on past choices, but I'm asking more generally. Do events exist in which one or some of the choices will always be "wrong"?

Im incredibly big on replayability, and long term unpredictability, and ive never put too much time into the game because i always feel like if i just knew the best answers, i can play an almost perfect game (which would inadvertently happen after a few restarts)

Im asking due to my interest in the new game of course, as the systems seem to be basically the same.

For the record im not putting down the system regardless of how it works. KoDP is special, even if it really is just an elaborate CYOA. Personally i just need more "game" than what im fearing the system may entail.
Your impressions are really far off imo. Events don't work on the principle of right and wrong answers but of resource managenent and risk-reward. How you answer to an event depends on what your current situation is and what your goals are. A war prone clan may respond to the same chain of events in a completely different manner than a pacifist clan. Same goes for a rich-but-hungry vs poor-but-fed, or a traditionalist vs open-minded, or one interested in gaining allies vs one interested in getting strong by itself.

The game is really a simulation of living among a complex culture where right and wrong mostly depends on perspective and interest more than anything.

Tl;dr: It's more of a rogue-like-4X hybrid in text form than a Fighting Fantasy book in electronic form, if that makes sense.

Then why are you brofisting the next post which sounds like a direct contradiction of what youre saying? At least thats what im getting from the following:
Ultimately there is only one way succeed in King of Dragon Pass, which is to come to understand what it means to be Orlanthi and, in doing so, becoming an Orlanthi.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Ive played KoDP off and on, but barely know how the system actually works. Apart from heroquests, are any of the decisions for the events inherently, and always bad? (Or good for that matter?), or is there a mix of randomness, and situational difference in what makes for the best choice? I know that in some cases your choice is dependent on past choices, but I'm asking more generally. Do events exist in which one or some of the choices will always be "wrong"?

Im incredibly big on replayability, and long term unpredictability, and ive never put too much time into the game because i always feel like if i just knew the best answers, i can play an almost perfect game (which would inadvertently happen after a few restarts)

Im asking due to my interest in the new game of course, as the systems seem to be basically the same.

For the record im not putting down the system regardless of how it works. KoDP is special, even if it really is just an elaborate CYOA. Personally i just need more "game" than what im fearing the system may entail.
Your impressions are really far off imo. Events don't work on the principle of right and wrong answers but of resource managenent and risk-reward. How you answer to an event depends on what your current situation is and what your goals are. A war prone clan may respond to the same chain of events in a completely different manner than a pacifist clan. Same goes for a rich-but-hungry vs poor-but-fed, or a traditionalist vs open-minded, or one interested in gaining allies vs one interested in getting strong by itself.

The game is really a simulation of living among a complex culture where right and wrong mostly depends on perspective and interest more than anything.

Tl;dr: It's more of a rogue-like-4X hybrid in text form than a Fighting Fantasy book in electronic form, if that makes sense.

Then why are you brofisting the next post which sounds like a direct contradiction of what youre saying? At least thats what im getting from the following:
Ultimately there is only one way succeed in King of Dragon Pass, which is to come to understand what it means to be Orlanthi and, in doing so, becoming an Orlanthi.

Nvm, I think I get what youre (both) saying

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Endemic

Arcane

In some respects the game structure is relatively fixed (after all, the endgame is pretty linear - unite the clans and marry the Horse-Spawn ruler). However you can change some traditions over time, like the specific arrangement of your clan ring becoming a new norm (eg all female or all male instead of going for the usual lightbringers setup). You could even go against what your ancestors did, at the cost of some clan magic. You could refuse to pay back a favour owed to another clan (or pay less than the customary amount), which will harm your reputation with them but benefit you in the short term. You can decide to intervene in matters not normally considered significant enough for the clan ring to abritrate. The bird omen can be interpreted in various ways. Propitiating the chaos gods first, rather than appealing to the benevolent ones. Etc etc.

Silva

Arcane
You won't until you play the game more. Believe me.

What KoDP does (and now 6A) is pretty unique in the industry. It's almost a study in ancient cultures' religion/superstition, in the way it rewards you for thinking like a man of such a context and punishing you for modern thinking. You will grok it faster if you let go your "map painting" EU/Civ instincts and just enjoy the ride (literally in 6A ).

P.S: yeah Im a fanboy. :D

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
You won't until you play the game more. Believe me.

What KoDP does (and now 6A) is pretty unique in the industry. It's almost a study in ancient cultures' religion/superstition, in the way it rewards you for thinking like a man of such a context and punishing you for modern thinking. You will grok it faster if you let go your "map painting" EU/Civ instincts and just enjoy the ride (literally in 6A ).

P.S: yeah Im a fanboy. :D

I don't really care about how unique it is. I care more about whether or not its my type of game. I don't play games in which multiple playthroughs water down the experience, or make them trivial

Silva

Arcane
I did a full sanguinary Humakti war clan once and it was completely different than anything I've tried before

Could you provide some details on that? Sounds interesting.
Can't remember many details as it was a long time, but basically I was coming from a pacifist all-women clan playthrough and decided to try the opposite by making the most violent bunch of modafucka possible, picking slavery, and war/violence choices in the questionnaire. When play began I made every ring member a macho except for Vingan females, I built the biggest possible temple for Humakt the god of death, I've learned that Maran Gor bless that gives you gold for every bloodbath drenching your lands, and I raided slayed and burned to my heart content. I'd pick the bully options in events, and prioritize kill instead of plunder during battles. I don't remember if I did many alliances and trade routes, probably just the minimum to go by, but I surely took tribute from a bunch of them. I finished the game in the Short Campaign mode though, don't know if my profile would do it for the long campaign (but by then I got tired of the long game and only did short ones). It was fun. ;)

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Because my App Store is in Czech, I can't view reviews. But I'm pretty sure someone already gave us a 1 star rating.

>why
>why god

:stunned:

David Dunham

A Sharp
Developer
Because my App Store is in Czech, I can't view reviews. But I'm pretty sure someone already gave us a 1 star rating.

Here’s a few from the US and Canada:

A major improvement on King of Dragon Pass, itself one of the most unique management simulations ever with multiple hearty dollops of interactive fiction. You are placed in charge of a clan of bronze age barbarians and tasked with ushering them through survival, to greatness. Brutally hard, but submerses you in the mindset of your clan. Unique and excellent

I was a big fan of King of Dragon Pass and love Six Ages so far! Excellent writing and emergent storytelling. If you’re like me and love history, strategy games, and good storytelling, check out this game!

I love the new artwork, and the added complexity to this game. KODP was great but it lacked depth to the mechanics. This game fixed that. The new combat system is more interactive and fun too! Love the parley system and how your allies can send you gifts even without asking for a favor. Amazing game.

Hi, I’m one of the lead developers of The Banner Saga. We were heavily inspired by KoDP, and I can safely say this is even better, bringing great quality of life improvements over its predecessor and improved combat while expanding on what made the original great. Everything about it is top notch and well worth your time and money. It is a minor miracle that this game even exists, buy it for crying out loud!

Also, you can use http://switchr.imagility.io on your iPad to view other app stores.

Richard Leaks

Educated
Are you going to port the game yourself or outsource to Herocraft again?
Game also looks great, too bad I don't own and Apple devices.

Silva

Arcane
Some Heroquests Rituals are really beautiful this time. Great mix of art and music. The one where Gamari shows up as a golden horse is amazing (I think it's the Cow Mother one?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom