Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of worthwhile DOS games

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Not sure this was posted here

list-of-worthwhile-dos-games.jpg

Ash

Arcane
I still need to play Strife.

Also, some brave soul who isn't sheltered and has standards defined by some gaming history should do a list of worthwhile modern games (any platform/format).

Lagi

Savant
so many games i dream to play as whipster. Many of them I only see in magazines. I guess its time to rape my nostalgia. I had to wake up earlier to have more time to waste on games.

Jazz was not competing with Sonic, cause blue hedgehog was in weaker league.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
btw use Dosbox ECE (enhanced community edition)

It's a version of dosbox still being worked on with MT-32 emulation so you can have glorious midi music.

It also features pixel-perfect scaling, so a resolution of 640x480 gets enlarged without noticable distortion on todays high resolutions

https://blog.yesterplay80.net/dosbox-ece-en/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for the reminder of this image, it's been kicking around for a few years (and the factual errors still haven't been fixed).

While there are many good games on that list, only a few of them are worth the effort of going through firing up and configuring DOSBox, or assembling your own DOS-based computer. By that I'm not saying that the games were crap or have aged badly (though some of them have) but that many of them have received remakes, sourceports or some other upgrade since then to make the task easier. So look around online for an ease-of-use solution to your DOS game itch first.

Also, some brave soul who isn't sheltered and has standards defined by some gaming history should do a list of worthwhile modern games (any platform/format).

I'm gonna give you a light-hearted "Fuck no" on that one. The reason is very simple: Volume.

The Spectrum line of computers had a lifespan of a decade, and the most accurate (though not conclusive) number of titles available for those computers is 25.000.

The PC has been around and kicking since 1981, and while I cannot find any sensible numbers for how many titles are available on it, I can tell you this: 7.672 games were released on Steam last year. In 2016 it was a little under 5.000 titles, and somewhere around 3.000 titles in 2015. That's around 15.000 titles in three years. The Spectrum had 10 years to rack up 25.000, even if you split up the PC games into distinct eras you're still gonna end with several buttloads of games for people to go through. You need an army for that.

Ash

Arcane
A shitton of indie shovelware.

It's true though, there is an influx of games being made, especially since the indie boom, but nobody said this list has to be definitive. Main purpose of it would be to share some actually good modern games with others from a trusted opinion, as they are hard to find. Good modern games and trusted opinions both.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well I sure hope this isn't meant as an exhaustive list of worthwhile DOS games, so a similar list of modern games wouldn't need to be either.

Oh look, beaten to it ^

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Taking a look at the list, there's certainly a lot to criticize, but one thing really puzzles me. You have the entire catalogue of DOS RPGs to choose from, including ports of games developed for other systems, and in a list with fewer than 10 RPGs in total, Albion makes the cut? No mention of Gold Box, Wizardry, Might and Magic, only a single Ultima, but the furry game gets the nod. Really?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Playing Dungeon Keeper and it's still so good, the controls aged better than I remember, and the graphics are still nice, probably best rts/god hybrid ever made. in-game press alt+r to bump up the resolution.

PorkBarrellGuy

>Tyrian, Raptor, Darklands, NetHack and Wasteland

Acceptable

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Duke Nukem 3d is ofcourse also a classic.

I can't decide which is the better one, Duke Nukem or Jedi Knight

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom