Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are you favourite shitty/mediocre videogames?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The point is to post and comment those games that we like but that got rejected by the journos and the popular opinion for some reason. Gonna post two of them:

turok-20070501055823587.jpg

Turok 2008. It wasn't so good like the original trilogy. The level design was simple and straightfoward, and had generic modern popamole shooting mechanics. But the dinosaurs and the world catched me for some reason. Also, the multiplayer was very original. Two teams that fight each other while the dinosaurs attacked everybody without discimination. The same was in the deathmatch mode. Also, had cooperative multiplayer missions with a wide variety of objectives. Sadly, multiplayer is no longer available.

resident-evil-outbreak-ps2-D_NQ_NP_881648-MLM26925616559_022018-F.jpg

Resident evil: Outbreak (Both files). The main problem with this game is that it was online multiplayer game released in an era when console multiplayer was far from being established. The companion AI wasn't a proper substitute for that, and the experience playing solo it just not the intended. But in the rest, the games delivers. Decent scenarios, variety of characters with unique gadgets, and challenging difficulty. Also, the game looks pretty impresive being fully in 3D, far ahead from Code veronica visuals.

Ebonsword

Arcane
...the game looks pretty impresive being fully in 3D, far ahead from Code veronica visuals.

What? Maybe if you're talking about Code Veronica on the PS2, but Code Veronica on the Dreamcast over VGA looked way better than Outbreak on the PS2.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
...the game looks pretty impresive being fully in 3D, far ahead from Code veronica visuals.

What? Maybe if you're talking about Code Veronica on the PS2, but Code Veronica on the Dreamcast over VGA looked way better than Outbreak on the PS2.

I'm talking about both games in general in terms of character models, scenarios and animations. Outbreak is superior in those regards to Code veronica.

84702c51e41ff63cb79bd2a62f65ce94o.png

f4cb44fb60519b6d5ebfd40968facd5ao.png

a843f6192815d5d33571d710b3ea770ao.png

Vs this

1500984f9389446c0d883860a10a5c09o.png

297d4133d6a79aa4a1c3007743b4b271o.png

35b9880981496145b770dbcd69907217o.png

A comparison between animations and stuff

Overall Outbreak looks better than Code veronica, and it's not surprising since it is a game posterior game (A low budget one). Resident evil: Code veronica is probably the most bland RE game in terms of visuals, they just should have stayed on prerendered backgrounds after the great results on RE3. Thankfully they realised and went with prerendered backgrounds again amd fully detailed character models in REmake and Zero.

frajaq

Erudite
I liked Vampyr recently, think they got the atmosphere pretty decent and it had a few good ideas

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought the Game of Thrones CRPG was okish - it obviously wasn't great but was fun enough for me to complete and had some nice moments.

Ash

Arcane
1. VTM:B. Self-explanatory as this is one of the Codex's favorite games.

2. Alien Trilogy. Is this actually a mediocre game? Well, not really. It got averaging to ok reviews though.
What is it? A Doom clone in an official Alien™ skin. A console shooter (later ported to PC). The level design is decent. Some great levels, some decent, a couple meh. The gameplay adequate. The atmosphere is thick. The challenge relatively tough but fair. The art direction sufficiently Alien. And boy, the soundtrack is god tier.

So what brings this game down? Not much really. Mainly core combat. You only get 6 weapons (pistol, shotgun, flamethrower, pulse rifle, smart gun, satchel charges). The pistol is crap and the flamethrower rinses through its fuel in seconds, plus isn't as effective as you may hope. The enemy types and AI also lacks variety, though mainly dictated by the setting, and the three bosses of the game are recycled alien queens and not particularly good as they're beyond easy. The controls are also pre-mouselook and analog stick control, but if you're used to old old shooters of the Doom clone family this shouldn't be much an issue.

There's many "mediocre" games I like along these lines: derided despite offering a solid experience, and adequately good gameplay. Though sometimes the criticism was fair, for example Alien Trilogy didn't bring much new to the FPS table, though the rock solid atmosphere and believable levels and art was fresh for 1996, as was some minor gameplay details. And frankly I don't value innovation as much as I do a game simply being well designed and executed, though it is important.

Anyhow, checking out the reviews, many of the low-scoring ones were clearly written by people that sucked or didn't get it.

Last edited:

Enrymion

Novice
Birthdays the Beginning is one of my favorite games despite steam reviews being mostly neutral and most positive ones being quite lukewarm.
It's an awesome game where you change the world in order to cause life to evolve from tiny bacteria to dinosaurs and then humans.
Only real complaint I have of it is that it's based too much on reality so there are no fictional evolutions for say situation where earth had kept getting hotter for a longer time and such.
Some reviews mention something about controls being weird but the fact that you can remap them and even use arbitrary button combinations like z+w make them a ton better than most games.
Jpu8IiB.png
iWauSCz.png
uXmGKCW.png

PorkBarrellGuy

Postal 2 got fucking SHAT ON by the gaming press (I think it was Computer Gaming World that gave it a 0, could be wrong, might have been EGM instead?) and I think P2 is a fucking blast. Of course, the reason they gave it low scores was because it offended them, not because it was a bad game, so I don't know if that counts.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit I forgot about that Turok game. I guess it's not for sale anywhere, so I should... find a copy and play it. I don't think I ever did. In a similar vein I'll mention Wolfenstein 2009, which ain't super amazing or anything but is a solid shooter from Raven. Same for Singularity. Shame they were pretty much dismantled after that and turned into the Call of Duty patch team.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series, they get little love from journalists but to me they are fun mindless games.

Momock

Augur
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is the best bad game ever made.

I also like the barely playable (bosses who stunlocks or one shot you out of nowhere, companion AI with catastrophic pathfinding skills) Age of Barbarian, just for the lulz.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Two Worlds
Plays alright, no level scaled enemies, much more interesting to explore than any Elder Scrolls game after Morrowind. The cheesy voice acting and dialog just makes it better—reminds me of playing D&D as a kid and everyone trying very seriously to stay in character. YE GODS!!

mogwaimon

Magister
For me I am also a big fan of Dynasty/Samurai Warriors.

50 Cent Blood on the Sand is a pretty mediocre shooter that I find myself wanting to go back and play again because of some good times in split-screen co-op, it's not a quality game but it's fun.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Holy shit I forgot about that Turok game. I guess it's not for sale anywhere, so I should... find a copy and play it. I don't think I ever did. In a similar vein I'll mention Wolfenstein 2009, which ain't super amazing or anything but is a solid shooter from Raven. Same for Singularity. Shame they were pretty much dismantled after that and turned into the Call of Duty patch team.

min 13:25

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom