Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hey hey people, it's the SsethTzeentach thread

images.jpg

Got bored and left

He knows about Korwin, he knows about Żywiec, and he knows about Polish Death Camps™. The Potato is strong in this one.

Heinrich

Scholar

why does everyone but codexers agree that Gothic games have a poor combat system?

Gothic combat systems are entirely functional and competent, but somewhat non-intuitive, especially for a modern audience. Add to that, that Piranha games are always at their best when you cheese them to some extent, and the average person that isn't already familiar with them/committed to getting into them, will feel slightly frustrated.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Apparently there is a Mod/Adm that likes bunnycuck. Instead of doing the right thing and renaming the thread he decided to move all of the glorious sseth reviews in separate thread. Real decline...

sullynathan

Arcane

why does everyone but codexers agree that Gothic games have a poor combat system?

Gothic combat systems are entirely functional and competent, but somewhat non-intuitive, especially for a modern audience. Add to that, that Piranha games are always at their best when you cheese them to some extent, and the average person that isn't already familiar with them/committed to getting into them, will feel slightly frustrated.

So what you're saying is that gothic combat sucks

Mark Richard

Arcane
Many Youtube critics snatch the low-hanging fruit of terrible games for entertainment, and while there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, I much prefer the review/retrospective channels that manage to be both enthusiastic and entertaining (Ross's Game Dungeon, LGR, etc). In his own distinct way Sseth is very positive about the games he shows, celebrating greatness instead of denouncing mediocrity. We could all use a little more of that in our lives.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Many Youtube critics snatch the low-hanging fruit of terrible games for entertainment, and while there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, I much prefer the review/retrospective channels that manage to be both enthusiastic and entertaining (Ross's Game Dungeon, LGR, etc). In his own distinct way Sseth is very positive about the games he shows, celebrating greatness instead of denouncing mediocrity. We could all use a little more of that in our lives.
I see that you have similar taste :).

Murk

Arcane

Mandalore is similar in that way too.

There's quite a few bizarre ones worth checking out, if only to see what type of things existed -- like Vangers or Limbo of the Lost, but instead I'll link one that actually made me seek out and play the game in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQEhl6GXvM

You are right though, what makes me want to watch these channels is that they are either humorous or they actually show the kind of fun a person can have when playing the game. They give you a good feel for what it might be, much better than many longer videos, and often enough they are presented in a way that isn't gushing praise or overwhelming criticism, but relatively balanced.

Sseth's videos are the most humorous and least likely to give you a proper explanation, but even then he still touches on aspects of what make the game great, and shows off some whacky stuff you can do. His Dark Messiah video was probably one of the most informative ones. Either way, it's always a good time with your friendly neighborhood warlord.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom