Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Am i the only one left that absolutely despises cash shops?

RolePlayer

Augur
10-15+ years ago, a purchase of a game that had online multiplayer involved, there was this thing called game/competitive integrity. Every item/gear/power was earned by defeating challenges in the game.

It seems like im the only one left that remembers this. Your single purchase of the game was enough to support on goiing patches/balance/updates/etc. Companies were made filthy rich if people bought their game, got hooked on it, and told their friends about it/had their friends join them online. Word of mouth sales. And companies would invest in earning your business this way by making you want to play their games more/for longer periods of time. The incentive was the single purchase of the game.

Everybody wanted to play more/harder/smarter to earn that sweet rare item/gear/level/beat that impossible boss/etc.

Now, a lot of that is gone/tainted since most companies sell an auto-accomplish mode .. sell items that are better statistically or better looking than anything you can find in the game.

I get im kind of repeating the same point in this post and my thoughts arent articulated particularly well but it seems like the online muliplayer gaming experience has been SEVERELY cheapened and there are nowhere to go for alternatives since a few publishers/developers have merged and bought out most of the competition.

I'm thinking about the original world of warcraft (vanilla), starcraft, warcraft, dungeon seige, original diablo games, etc.

there were absolutely no cash shops in these games, every item whether cosmetic or power up had to be found/grinded/earned/crafted/worked towards in the game. And companies invested heavily in anti cheat/shutting down 3rd party shops/sites that tried to sell items and had a strict stance that any purchasing from 3rd parties was cheating and would lead to permanent banning.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't play multiplayer, but humans tend to love progression systems and unlocks/loot. It triggers chemicals in the brain.

PorkBarrellGuy

No, you're not. Fuck cash shops, especially when they're not just for cosmetics, and especially when I already paid to play the game.

Unlocks and progression are whatever, but I hate it when little faggots with Daddy's credit card can bypass them by feeding the microtransaction monster.

RolePlayer

Augur
when i talk about unlock and progression i don't mean modern systems that have artificial progression to get you hooked (some stupid level bar that has absolutely nothing to do with the genre/gameplay that gives your profile a higher level/with unlocks for the sake of it)

im talking about aRPGs (diablo 2), or MMOs like everquest and the original world of warcraft or eve online where character progression is a staple of the genre

every cool rare item, every bit of progression (playing long hours against increasingly difficult content), earning reputation, awesome gear, awesome flashy items, it was a sense of accomplishment .. or even just a sense of getting lucky with a good rng roll ..

now .. you go to a cash shop .. get a "immediate boost" to max level .. buy all sorts of conveniences/cheats/etc. if you have a credit card in almost any online game now you have some sort of advantage over other people (even if it's simply looking cooler)

i guess i just REALLY miss the idea of 1 purchase (the game) and then everybody from that point on is on 100% equal footing

TedNugent

Arcane
This jew shit has infiltrated everything.

But it gets even worse. Now games that should logically have no progression system, e.g. online only FPS games, RTS, etc now have persistent progression systems (thank you COD4). So now you can't even get your rocks off on an online banger without having to unlock the AK-47.

abija

Prophet
I wouldn't just blame the devs, unless you actually ban this kind of abuse everyone has to implement it. Having it in [insert your favorite online genre that obviously doesn't need it] is better than that genre losing majority of players to farmville.

PorkBarrellGuy

I wouldn't just blame the devs, unless you actually ban this kind of abuse everyone has to implement it. Having it in [insert your favorite online genre that obviously doesn't need it] is better than that genre losing majority of players to farmville.

If they're the kind of fucking people who would play Farmville DO YOU REALLY WANT THEM AROUND

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, you are the only one special little flower. :roll:

I never bought, gave money or played any game like that. Unless you count playing a couple of F2P (P2W) games, though I never spent a cent on those either.

You should have it clear by now that if a game has a such a business model, then it's the lowest of the lowest garbage designed for the lowest common denominator and should be avoided at all costs. If you spend money or time on such a game it's your own fault.

Ash

Arcane
Stop buying modern games. Exceptions: indies, some trustworthy companies (e.g From Software, CDPR). Play older games. Play mods. Play rom hacks. Etc.
Not only are these modern games trying to rip us off, they're also just bad quality games in most cases anyway. Stop. Even buying the game and ignoring the cash shop/microtransations is still legitimising this practice.

abija

Prophet
If they're the kind of fucking people who would play Farmville DO YOU REALLY WANT THEM AROUND

Whenever I spend 10+ mins in queue or forced to play online with bots I am extremely grateful those devs suck at getting people hooked. Like a superior human being I'd much rather not play than finding out sheeple that played farmville (or whatever BR is most played atm) could enjoy the same game I do.

funkadelik

Arcane
OP, give us some examples of your least favorite cash shops from games you've played.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
some trustworthy companies.

Bethesda is not so bad also compared to others, fallout 76 will have dedicated servers, the game is only b2p without a monthly fee, and in-game only skins will be purchasable and all dlc/expansions will be free so everyone has everything so the userbase is not split up.

PorkBarrellGuy

some trustworthy companies.

Bethesda is not so bad also compared to others, fallout 76 will have dedicated servers, the game is only b2p without a monthly fee, and in-game only skins will be purchasable and all dlc/expansions will be free so everyone has everything so the userbase is not split up.
Whatever Todd's paying you, it's not enough, you're a real trooper I gotta say

J1M

Arcane
I also hate cosmetic cash shops. It leads to an attention whore arms race that quickly destroys any sense of aethetic a game may of had.

I could accept a compromise of sorts. Sell retards cosmetic-only items for mad dollars, but add a setting that hides everyone else's cosmetic purchases. You could still dress up like a clown if you wanted to and the game would be readable.

Gregz

Arcane
''Am I the only one left''

Yes you are the only one in the world with this opinion.

Yeah, don't think you're the only one.

Nothing in history has done more harm to gaming than P2W.

EA? The AAA budget bloat? Not to say P2W isn't fucking awful, but how do you figure it's the worst of the worst?

I've been into gaming since the early 80s, on various platforms, and imo nothing has been more destructive to the spirit of gaming. The heart of what the hobby is all about. Nothing I've seen in those almost 40 years is even close.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I actually love it because it allows me to jump into whatever game is popular at the moment and with the power that my hefty visa endows me, dress up in the most annoying manner, get the most OP weapons, and without any skill or dedication put into the game, start owning all the idiots that've been grinding for countless days to get some shitty weapon.
By the time I'm done, what once was their sole medium of escaping the shitty reality they live in has become another reminder that they will forever remain slaves to the rich and powerful, condemned to repeat menial tasks no person with the slightest sense of self-worth would ever consider doing.

:troll:
jk, MP is for faggots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom