Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your Best Tactical RPG (for real, the best ones )

Typical newfag makes a thread asking for the best tacticool RPGs, says didn't like JA2 because it 'looks bad'.

Why are people responding?

Go fucking play Jagged Alliance 2, you little bitch.

Also, since you mentioned you liked Fantasy General, there's a potato clone that came out some years ago that wasn't too bad called Fantasy Wars. There was even a sequel called Elven Legacy.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
To be fair, i usually don't like war games, except those in a fantasy set-up, like i hated panzer general and loved fantasy general.
I hate most robots games and squad games unless they have an in-depth character development and very good tactical battle and a story not involving WWs, something original for once (UFO ... )

Swampy_Merkin
Disgaea > i agree, tried it, wanted to love it but it eventually made me sick, those infinite items levels, do they fucking think we're going to spend 2 lifes playing that shit ?
Fire Emblem, as i said in the OP, i like it but it lacks fantasy, original characters like a flying egg and a dragon in SF, a phoenix, a werewolf, a robot, a golem in SF2 ...

I enjoyed some warhammer back in the days, now, it's too heavy on 3D and they're too light on character development anyway.
Enjoyed shadow of the horned rat, for example https://af.gog.com/game/warhammer_shadow_of_the_horned_rat?as=1649904300
And played Final liberation quite a bit, destroying my friends in hot seat mode (imperial troops are best :P )

Never tried blood bowl, how is the character development ? some mods ?

wyes gull
Believe it or not, i played that (weren't there 2 of them ?) adaptation from lukianenko's book (my spelling is probably wrong, writting it from memory) and read the trilogy, liked the games even it they weren't very well made and buggy.

silent storm : sentinels, not sure if i played this version or the original, i'll keep it in mind, for the other one, if it's a mess, i think i'll pass ;-)

As for SF3, the 3D exploration part kills me, really, it's a pain, i tried but didn't get really far.
Found a "new" version of Shining Force on GBA thought, yesterday, might try it at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
...Bacause in my memory, i could get past the terrible graphics ...
eaa8ee53a9f325a5f44a040fb5a2f1f72ad0e14f064c1a7fb5ae911dc8ae9bc3.jpg

????

Citizen

Jagged Alliance 2 [...] UI was terrible

What? I think it's one of the best UIs, really intuitive and easy to use.

UFO Extraterritorial ? not a single hit on my search engine, tried afterlight and aftershock

It's called UFO:Extraterrestrials, and it has nothing to do with After- series, it's a proper UFO:EU clone, just looks ugly. Had it on a pirate cd 10 years ago, but I think matrix games sells it now. Also the second game is in development now :bounce:, but looks like it's going to be the grimoire of UFO clones.

Open X-COM [...] Is there some mods

X-PIRATEZ

AoW checked on gog, looks like Lords of Magic but turn based

It's much better. It's a simplistic 4x with a tactical turn-based combat and RPG elements. First game is more simple and the combat is not as good as in the second one (No AP system), but it's campaign is better RPG than most 'real' RPGs. For better gameplay play AoW:Shadow Magic, or Master of Magic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ToEE, i played it long ago, in my memory, is a BG 2 clone, probably good, to me, it's a RPG, not really a T-RPG where you have dozens of units, is there some good mods for this one ?
Temple+ is the mod you need.
It would be a bad Baldurs Gate clone if the Baldurs Gates used 3e and were turn-based, in which case I would be too busy playing the shit out of them to post here.

OP try
Eternal Poison on ps2 emu.
very good tactical rpg with no grinding at all. so if u dont make balanced team from start you are screwed.

Other than that JA2, Silent Storm, Tactics Ogre, Fallout Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics etc. all mentioned earlier.

Goromorg

Savant
Try Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics. Good dungeon crawlers with many class combos.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
And the Expeditions games (Conquistador and Viking). Nice hex tb games with decent story-telling and character interactions. C&C-lite, but all around pretty good.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
OpenX-com has several mods; Piratez is one that I play regularly.

Chaos Gate: Late 90's game. Pure Space Marines vs chaos slugfest.

Low Magic Age: OGL licence. Generic openworld mode with level scaling. Still in Early Access.

Dungeon Rats: Build on Age of Decadence (without talky intrigue parts), mostly tactical combat with some exploration and crafting.

Gregz

Arcane
Gregz Zed Duke of Banville Ninjerk (your nickname fits your perfectly ninj :P ) Jagged Alliance 2 : tried this one with all my heart thinking it could fill the gap left by Ennemy unknown (way later though), is there some mods drastically enhancing this thing ? Bacause in my memory, i could get past the terrible graphics (UFO wasn't particularly beautiful either) but the UI was terrible

1.13 mod from The Bear's Pit

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jagged Alliance 2 has been my king of tactical games.

However, I have been playing some Silent Storm 2 Gold recently and after a couple of mods I am almost tempted to say I am having more fun with this. It makes excellent use of the third dimension, the destructible environment and the crunchy sound are just so much fun. I'll hold back on final judgment yet.

OpenXCom is a classic for the ages and is one of those games you should always have installed.

Templar Battleforce
as is criminally underrated. I wish there were many more objective-based tactics games. The vast sprawling class system and the fun not-40k atmosphere is the cherry on top.

Blackguards is a shit RPG in my opinion but the combat was pretty fucking good. Maybe I had the wrong attitude when I went into it.

Dungeon Rats was also one of the best tactical games I recently (or ever) played. Fails in the story department but the combat is really good and the ressource management is challenging and probably the very best in the genre.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom