Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Best Video Game

• Thread starter Farewell into the night
  • Start date

Farewell into the night

Dear Codexer,

which video game do you consider to be THE BEST in the world and WHY?

The rule is: you can choose only ONE game, so think hard.
I'll post my choice soon™

jaydee2k

Savant
5.jpg

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I dont have a favorite game (not even close to one), so the following is just the one that probably destroyed my soul the most when i was a very young console fag: Secret of Mana

Dodo1610

Arcane

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Mount & Blade: Warband
- In its purest form it is absolutely, hands down, the best sword-fighting game ever made. This alone would make it one of the best games ever.
- Add humongous battles, and deep layers of strategy in an open, sandbox world, then you have something god-tier.
- Add prestigious multiplayer with tons of variety, plus an enormous number of mods which include everything from minor tweaks to complete overhauls.

G.G.O.A.T.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
C'mon brah. I love Warband too, but it's no Dark Messiah of Kickin' Dem Orcs

I can't believe I've never even heard of that game before. It looks great and now it's on my list (I would brofist you, but I'm a newfag).

When I say Warband is the greatest sword-fighting game of all time, I'm talking about pvp duels.

deltamind

Literate
I may be a gamer of the newer generation but I really like Battlefield 3 and 4, I didn't have bugs/server issues at all and the graphics of the game are really good as well, even when I had an older PC then too it was working very smooth.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is Football 2005. FIFA and PES don't have shit on the TIF franchise. One of the buttons on the controller had you do this insane kamikaze tackle, like so:
article-2542381-1ACE8F8300000578-787_634x358.jpg

It would invariably result in a red card if you connected with it. The immersion levels were off the charts.:mixedemotions:

Edit: I almost forgot, there was also a diving button! Truly ahead of its time, that game.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
I'll go with Thief:the Dark Project. Stellar level design & soundtrack; superb execution of very unique game mechanics that have little to no competition in the 20 year long game catalog that follow; great artistic decision ( like replacing cutscenes with hand-painted 2d animations ); probably the greatest integration of a tutorial level into the main game ("the keepers were training me to be one of them, but I found other uses for those skills..")

I played it for the first time 2 years ago, so my decision is entirely nostalgia-free.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I'm with Egosphere. I'd also add that the sound propagation system is still unmatched 20 years later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom