Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Afaik you don't get XP for mobs if you don't the killing blow

Pretty sure you do get XP for your party kills. Also they are great for drawing aggro and letting you tag-team mobs with power attacks.

Not like you get decent XP from early mobs anyway. Go to all the towns and do every quest you can.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah it's not like I said this a few posts back. Also not like I said which ones are best for this, Carja, Arx, Falk. Even Duras.

Nasty is the best but you get her p. late in the game.

Yosharian

Arcane
I had a bad experience when I bought this game at launch, refunded it because it seemed really janky/awkward and there were some texture errors.

Should I give it another try?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's basically the only problem this game has - until you get to lvl 20 you're just sprinting away from mobs all the time. I don't like this tbh. In a proper PB game you always gotta level up first before taking on the world but in Elex that takes absurdly long, especially on higher diffs. Combat is always a great reason to play a PB game. I got muh trusty Hatchet now but mobs laugh in my face as I run from them shitting my worker pants. :negative:

If you know what you're doing, you can get reasonably competent in combat by level 6-10. Probably need to brew some Elex potions for that... aaand either be very lucky in equipment finds... or have some stuff spoiled. There are powerful Tier II weapons spread in the world, some can even be grabbed without a fight (or you can run away). Even more Tier Is, which should be reasonably usable at that level.
Of course you still need the raw stats.. but that's where the Elex potions come to play.

And yeah, get the Stamina boost skill ASAP. It's a priority for melee.

T. Reich

Arcane
Most people don't seem to get that combat encounters are rather strictly gated by the monsters' high flat damage reduction numbers.
Once your weapon's damage goes over that threshold, you will realise that most mobs don't actually have that high HP.
What the game doesn't tell you, but what is instantly noticeable upon use, is that damaging weapon "enchantments" (fire, poison, bleed, shock, radiation) actually ignore damage reduction and apply straight to HP over time.

In my experience, once you can weild a weapon that deals at least 40 damage and has any sort of such enchantment, you can reliably roam the world and deal with the weaker species of the enemy you encounter (up to 40 exp per kill, plus pretty much any humanoid using weapons).

Keep in mind that the "high DR, low HP" paradigm fully applies to you as well!
You start with 50 hp (laughably low given high monster damage), +5 hp/lvl. That's it. Putting a point into one skill that grants life gives you +10 hp and is a waste. Brewing very rare health potions will increase your life by 20 hp a pop - VERY useful and important!
Accordingly, getting any armour is YUGE. If you rush joining a faction and equip a faction armour ASAP, you will instantly notice how much tankier you've become, as opposed to wearing non-faction rags.
That's why EVERYONE in the game at the beginnig keeps telling you: "Get gud armour ASAP nigga! Join a faction!"
Playing ELEX as if you would powergame old Gothics is actually quite harmful for your overall experience because you basically super-gimp yourself by using sub-par equipment and denying yourself high-exp/high-reward story quests.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, joining a faction early seems even more beneficial than in previous PB games. I like muh powergaming tho.

Btw after seeing what a dirty dump Tavar is I've decided to join the Clerics. Sure they're brainwashed but I just love their armor too much mang. Swag uber alles.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good choice!
Armor aestatics they win by a landslide.... But actually their powers are pretty awesome for combat also. Including melee! They may not double the damage of their melee hits, but the various decoys plus that "you won't die" power are awesome and make melee combat much safer. Shockwave is cool also.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Swag uber alles.

Swag indeed

59A07D9D1151D1A584E27578EE91683C735CC2C0

Yosharian

Arcane
Well boys, it appears my scepticism was misplaced. I'm 3 hours in and having an absolute blast so far. Doing some quests in the Berserker area and it's actually quite interesting. Nothing revolutionary, but neat nevertheless.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You mean ”ELEX” help me. Some people see the light. They are not meant to play ELEX. To play ELEX, you need to ”see the ELEX”.

Jinn

Arcane
I've been getting the itch to replay ELEX lately. I purposely left most of the Cleric and Outlaw faction quests undone on my Berserker playthrough so that I could have that PB faction replay experience when I returned to it again. Glad to see people around here still getting to experience the glory of ELEX for the first time. Enjoy, brothers. Highly recommend leaving yourself some content for future replays.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I've been getting the itch to replay ELEX lately. I purposely left most of the Cleric and Outlaw faction quests undone on my Berserker playthrough so that I could have that PB faction replay experience when I returned to it again. Glad to see people around here still getting to experience the glory of ELEX for the first time. Enjoy, brothers. Highly recommend leaving yourself some content for future replays.

I soaked it all up in one go like a dirty crack addict:negative:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So after 30 hours of running from everything I needed about 6 hours to go from a 32 dmg Chainsaber to 150 dmg Redeemer (buffed with One with the Weapon). I pop my buff and everything melts. I just bitchslapped El Colosaro in like 10 seconds and utterly destroyed an army of mech Colossi during the Ulbricht's battle. This combo is batshit OP.

So um...is the game basically over for me? Am I gonna just facestomp everything that comes in my way?

Tbh later I realized I didn't have to prolong my running-away stage so much , I could've just sold all my crap I was hoarding, buy a shitton of raw Elex and get like 30 mid-Elex potions. So in my second run the curve will be much smoother.

An amazing game btw, the world is incredible, a stunning combo of G1/G2 handcrafted feel and G3 free-roam sprawl. It's the best PB game ever there I said it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah challenge is over by that point.

It's not like G games where being in faction is just mandatory to progress meaningfully in the game.

Jinn

Arcane
So after 30 hours of running from everything I needed about 6 hours to go from a 32 dmg Chainsaber to 150 dmg Redeemer (buffed with One with the Weapon). I pop my buff and everything melts. I just bitchslapped El Colosaro in like 10 seconds and utterly destroyed an army of mech Colossi during the Ulbricht's battle. This combo is batshit OP.

So um...is the game basically over for me? Am I gonna just facestomp everything that comes in my way?

Tbh later I realized I didn't have to prolong my running-away stage so much , I could've just sold all my crap I was hoarding, buy a shitton of raw Elex and get like 30 mid-Elex potions. So in my second run the curve will be much smoother.

An amazing game btw, the world is incredible, a stunning combo of G1/G2 handcrafted feel and G3 free-roam sprawl. It's the best PB game ever there I said it.

I faced many more challenges after a similar hike in power level. Even if I hadn't, the game would not have been over for me at this point. You said it yourself: one of the greatest strengths of this game is the exploration and world building. Just enjoy your power while you have it and explore the excellent world of Magalan.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A few side notes - why THE FUCK it takes 2 goddamn seconds for me to start sprinting? Been pulling my hair out for days now. There are always a few retarded design quirks like that in every fucking PB game. A partial solution is to double-tap W, make a forward roll and your dude starts sprinting right away but I've yet to automatize this.

I just wrote in the TW3 thread the game suffers a little bit coz you can teleport from anywhere. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it's just too convenient. Convenience is seductively dangerous in any RPG, it's like winning 100 million dorra, everyone thinks they want it but when they do they usually go insane and hang themselves within a year.

I thought it'd be great if you could only move between teleporters, like in TW3, but they'd be half as numerous. However all factions would have different additional powers. The Zerkers would use magic to set up teleport points just like Lloyd's Beacon from M&M, the Clerics would some sort of transport vehicle (hovercraft?) and the Outlaws a more powerful jetpack capable of fast forward-rush movement type of deal. It'd be more logical AND it'd fit the lore.

On a related note, there are WAAAAAYYY too many sleeping places and you can sleep in beds that aren't your own. Bad Pankratz!

EDIT: Oh and map notes, those would be awesome in a game like this.

Last edited:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
The game had enough challenge for me, I found a weapon early on and built around it (poisonous basement place), after ~9 hours maybe 80% of quests in the sw part except for the big dudes I could fight most mobs with baiting and kitting and by the time I found the redeemer I felt like I'd earned it, the ideal difficulty curve with 1/3 hard survivalist mode, 1/3 griping with combat and the rest being a stomping god, of course not everyone is guaranteed this experience.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game had enough challenge for me, I found a weapon early on and built around it (poisonous basement place), after ~9 hours maybe 80% of quests in the sw part except for the big dudes I could fight most mobs with baiting and kitting and by the time I found the redeemer I felt like I'd earned it, the ideal difficulty curve with 1/3 hard survivalist mode, 1/3 griping with combat and the rest being a stomping god, of course not everyone is guaranteed this experience.

Yeah, the Redeemer with the One with the Weapon ability and maxed out Ranged Weapon is an extreme (or maybe other factions have OP shit like this too, dunno). Plus it's a ranged wep and those are always OP in PB games. But they at least should've hidden the Redeemer in a more hard-to-get place, a converter is too obvious. If you're a Cleric you are prolly gonna find it there quite soon and then it's just a stopmfest.

Jinn

Arcane
I just wrote in the TW3 thread the game suffers a little bit coz you can teleport from anywhere. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it's just too convenient. Convenience is seductively dangerous in any RPG, it's like winning 100 million dorra, everyone thinks they want it but when they do they usually go insane and hang themselves within a year

While I agree this is an inherent flaw with the game, I never took advantage of it myself. I only teleported when I was at a teleporter. A simple self-imposed rule that kept transportation similar to the best PB titles.

Morkar Left

I just wrote in the TW3 thread the game suffers a little bit coz you can teleport from anywhere. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it's just too convenient. Convenience is seductively dangerous in any RPG, it's like winning 100 million dorra, everyone thinks they want it but when they do they usually go insane and hang themselves within a year

While I agree this is an inherent flaw with the game, I never took advantage of it myself. I only teleported when I was at a teleporter. A simple self-imposed rule that kept transportation similar to the best PB titles.

That's what I do as well but I wish it would be toggable in the options at least.

waterdeep

Learned
Went to the Domed City expecting it to be a heavily fortified, strong city with heavy security, but to my surprise the only guards are 2 weaklings standing in front of a hole in the wall with a fucking camp filled with Outlaws just outside. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom