Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Obsidian willing to pimp out Pillars of Eternity like the cheap whore it is.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm not equating them, I'm saying they're both shit. Try harder, fuckwit.

I see how you got your dumbfuck tag; you just equated them again. I'm going to equate you with the PoE setting: you are both shit.

Literally anyone, even perhaps someone as lowly as you, could create a setting on the level of PoE. Literally anyone could write its plot and characters. As someone said before, it's a hackwork on hackworks which are themselves hackworks.

Greyhawk, doubtful. The dungeons alone are unequaled masterpieces (and the setting itself stems from dungeons - how monocled can a campaign setting's origin be?). Also, 40 years of development history is difficult to replicate.

It's fucking disgusting that you would compare PoE to Greyhawk; in any way favorably. That makes you not only the dumbest fuck I have ever seen on the 'Dex, but also the most ridiculous looking edgelord, too.

Just.. stop. You have already humilated yourself more than I ever thought possible.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I'm not equating them, I'm saying they're both shit. Try harder, fuckwit.

I see how you got your dumbfuck tag; you just equated them again.

Yes, you can see that because you're a prime Kodex dumbfuck. The dimwitted in this world always call those retarded who they can recognize aren't of their kind :lol:

I've called them both shit citing a property they both share.

"Two things share one property, that means they're equal". Kodex dumbfuck logic 101.

I'm going to equate you with the PoE setting: you are both shit.

Literally anyone, even perhaps someone as lowly as you, could create a setting on the level of PoE. Literally anyone could write its plot and characters. As someone said before, it's a hackwork on hackworks which are themselves hackworks.

Greyhawk, doubtful. The dungeons alone are unequaled masterpieces (and the setting itself stems from dungeons - how monocled can a campaign setting's origin be?). Also, 40 years of development history is difficult to replicate.

It's fucking disgusting that you would compare PoE to Greyhawk; in any way favorably. That makes you not only the dumbest fuck I have ever seen on the 'Dex, but also the most ridiculous looking edgelord, too.

Just.. stop. You have already humilated yourself more than I ever thought possible.

"Literally anyone could write anything". My, you are a shining beacon of logical thinking. Might I substitute "as long as they're literate"?

Question, my dear internet tough gal. Have you ever written dialogue? Can we see some of your work? Or is it just too good for the ignorant masses, so you're keeping all of that in your nightstand next to your diary of unfulfilled aspirations and spare batteries?

"Man, DnD has been around for decades. It has to be THAT GOOD" :lol:

PoE's setting is shit because writing and then you're praising dungeons. You seem very confused. We don't need to mention you dodged my original point and the reason I've cited why I think they're both ridiculous settings, do we?

Maybe get your head out of your ass, it got stuck in there with the dragonballs and anal beads.

Quillon

Arcane
Literally anyone, even perhaps someone as lowly as you, could create a setting on the level of PoE. Literally anyone could write its plot and characters.

It ain't easy doing the shit as calling it shit, yo. Grandmaster level prestigiousness right here, even Lacrymas has a lot to learn from you :P

As someone said before, it's a hackwork on hackworks which are themselves hackworks.

And people here shitting on PoE for it not being enough of a hackwork, Obs can't win over codex no matter what, they should have kickstarted spiritual Fallout successor instead of PoE :D At least a Fallout SS would have been TB, which is half way through Codexia's heart.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Greyhawk was of real mixed quality, compare the first Castle Greyhawk mod with the Greyhawk living city mod, one shit and wacky, the other a masterpiece of world building.

Course implementation is the thing and a good GM could make or break a game or campaign.

Plus Greyhawk was a little more grounded and low level than FR, drawing a lot of inspiration from the SCA as it did. Politics, war and such had more of a hand in the Flannaes than the usual roster of cataclysms, God killing and epic crap.

If anybodies interested in the setting I'd recommend the Greyhawk City box, and the Falcon trilogy of adventures as a starting point, perhaps leading into the Greyhawk Wars stuff.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
citing a hypothetical Pillars of Eternity tactics-based game as an idea that Obsidian might not have the interest in or means to produce itself.
So Feargus is still stubbornly refusing to make a turn-based game when Deadfire is struggling (still sitting somewhere in the 100-200k range), while the likes of Darkest Dungeon and Divinity: Original Sin sell millions of copies.

Feargus will never allow anyone at Obsidian to make a turn-based game. Even if it would save them from the brink of destruction. He probably hates turn-based games.

Fergus has like 1000 hours in Xcom.

Quillon

Arcane
citing a hypothetical Pillars of Eternity tactics-based game as an idea that Obsidian might not have the interest in or means to produce itself.
So Feargus is still stubbornly refusing to make a turn-based game when Deadfire is struggling (still sitting somewhere in the 100-200k range), while the likes of Darkest Dungeon and Divinity: Original Sin sell millions of copies.

Feargus will never allow anyone at Obsidian to make a turn-based game. Even if it would save them from the brink of destruction. He probably hates turn-based games.

Fergus has like 1000 hours in Xcom.

Feargus said he'd like to make an RPG with Xcombat in Deadfire's figstarter comments.

And I've been playing WOTC for the last couple of weeks, its awesome. First I played Xcom 2, awesome weeks, then LW2 even better now WOTC even betterer :P Prolly they are making a LW mod for WOTC too, I'm sure it'll be even bettererer!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If we take this thinking to the extreme, the very creation of PnP fantasy RPGs is the equivalent of someone throwing an empty coke bottle out of a plane and a tribe of pygmies starting to worship it as a gift from the gods.

In other words - manage your expectations when you try to retroactively prove someone pursued high artistic standards when they were writing something in their basement for the amusement of friends.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well sadly the setting of POE lacks a thing a great setting must have: Charisma,Soul and original identity.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Greyhawk was of real mixed quality, compare the first Castle Greyhawk mod with the Greyhawk living city mod, one shit and wacky, the other a masterpiece of world building.
If you're thinking of WG7 Castle Greyhawk, that was written not too long after Gary Gygax was forced to leave TSR, and apparently the people who worked on that module were having fun at Gygax's expense. However, there was a later adventure module WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins, which was a serious attempt at a Castle Greyhawk megadungeon.

Anyway, Greyhawk had two campaign setting materials released --- the 50-page World of Greyhawk folio in 1980 and the 150-page World of Greyhawk box set in 1983 --- even before TSR shifted its overall focus towards campaign settings in 1987. These detailed the setting's various countries, with only passing mentions of Castle Greyhawk.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is horny teen fanfic level of bad.
OFUJ9Mn.png

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
the euphemism is what makes it bad. That and Mary Sueism, in this case a monk and priest with a tough gal act.

Neanderthal

Arcane
If you're thinking of WG7 Castle Greyhawk, that was written not too long after Gary Gygax was forced to leave TSR, and apparently the people who worked on that module were having fun at Gygax's expense. However, there was a later adventure module WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins, which was a serious attempt at a Castle Greyhawk megadungeon.

Anyway, Greyhawk had two campaign setting materials released --- the 50-page World of Greyhawk folio in 1980 and the 150-page World of Greyhawk box set in 1983 --- even before TSR shifted its overall focus towards campaign settings in 1987. These detailed the setting's various countries, with only passing mentions of Castle Greyhawk.

Yes I was referencing the first Castle Greyhawk, the second one I had no problems with.

Greyhawk had three campaign setting boxes/books made however, you're forgetting From the Ashes, which personally I found a bit more in depth and less nebulous than the previous two.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Greyhawk had three campaign setting boxes/books made however, you're forgetting From the Ashes, which personally I found a bit more in depth and less nebulous than the previous two.
I was referring to the two early ones before TSR committed to producing copious quantities of setting materials. After that point, TSR released the Greyhawk Adventures hardcover in 1988 and then the From the Ashes box set in 1992 before discontinuing Greyhawk as a product line.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is horny teen fanfic level of bad.
OFUJ9Mn.png
Only partway through the game, but I hate everything about that character so much :(
Just swap her out. I found her to be useful in combat, but as soon as I got her quest off of my check-list, to the boat she went.
When the patch hits, I will. Going to replace her with Fassina of the eternally slumped posture (wtf), specced as a druid/wiz, or a custom char.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom