Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of War 1 + 2

Dayyālu

Arcane
Wait until Tau stronghold.

It's hilariously broken.

Zibniyat

Arcane
hello friend

Pieces of stone I find "soft" enough to shape:

8VbpDQd.jpg

h0INdus.jpg

BopNeCN.jpg

FnuIP5Y.jpg

CBCkvpQ.jpg

An example of quartz (requires diamond-grade tools to shape):

Tu1AGLU.jpg

Zibniyat

Arcane
Finished Dark Crusade campaign. Played as Necrons.

After a disappointment that was the Winter Assault campaign, this one came as a lot better and actually enjoyable, albeit still quite repetitive and inferior to the original DOW campaign. The original is still better in almost every way, with the only notable exception being difficulty, where Dark Crusade is better. Of the 6 enemy bases, 3 fell way too easily after achieving only the primary goal or the primary and some secondary goals (Orks after killing their leader, Chaos Space Marines after destroying their gate, Space Marines after destroying their HQ with prior way too easy destruction of 2 secondary objectives), whilst Eldar, Tau and the Imperial Guard actually offered some serious resistance and felt like playing a real campaign.

The skirmish is still good, despite HP bloat.

~~~

I distinctly remember disliking Soulstorm in skirmish, so I'm not gonna bother with it. I did play through the campaign once years ago, and it was similar to Dark Crusade's one. Several bad things stand out in Soulstorm that I'm writing it off as a trash it is:

- ugly new faction, just played around a bit with the Dark Eldar, and whilst faggottry would be tolerable if it was tasteful, in this case the units and the overall design of the whole faction was just plain ugly. Pass.
- Sisters of Battle. Laughable. An attempt at bringing The Strong Female Faction (as if Eldar weren't enough), which is boring.
- even more HP bloat.
- flashy graphical effects that you sometimes just cannot see what's going on anymore. Never had this issue with the original DOW skirmish, and had small issues with Dark Crusade in cases of truly large battles. In Soulstorm however, it's all way too pointless and ugly.

So that's it. Bought DOW III and I'm already disappointed in there not being proper camera zoom and rotation system, the excuse about "performance" is laughable considering the Current Year and powerful multi-core CPUs and advanced GPUs. Relic, it's time you just die.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Several bad things stand out in Soulstorm that I'm writing it off as a trash it is:

- ugly new faction, just played around a bit with the Dark Eldar, and whilst faggottry would be tolerable if it was tasteful, in this case the units and the overall design of the whole faction was just plain ugly. Pass.
- Sisters of Battle. Laughable. An attempt at bringing The Strong Female Faction (as if Eldar weren't enough), which is boring.
They're a lot more interesting table-top. Well, in fact the Sisters of Battle are the militant wing of the Ecclesiarchy, the state church of the Imperium. Consider that the Emperor was completely anti-religion (to the point where he pissed off his sons/Primarchs), and Space Marines are literally fueled only by biology and technology. IIRC Sisters of Battle are not genetically enhanced, so their "mini Space Marine Power Armour" does give them some strength improvement, but not in the same way as the uber-humans who directly interface with their armor using a biological implant. Instead, they get more Psyker-y powers of the "Inquisition kind" (fire and brimstone lol).

Typically the Sisters of Battle work with the Inquisition with rooting out heresy, and so Witch Hunters usually accompany them. In fact, in previous editions of 40k, the Sisters of Battle were units within the "Witch Hunters" army codex. They're really just known for mass burnintation, from flamers and heavy flamers to APCs with dual heavy flamers. A little bit one-dimensional. Even the new "Sisters of Battle" army rules have several non-Sister units, and powerful ones. I haven't read it, but I'm sure there's at least one male Inquisitor as a hero.

---

TLDR Sisters of Battle was a terrible translation to vidya games.

And don't go past Dark Crusade :lol:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Well, in fact the Sisters of Battle are the militant wing of the Ecclesiarchy, the state church of the Imperium.

Typically the Sisters of Battle work with the Inquisition with rooting out heresy, and so Witch Hunters usually accompany them.

:prosper:

Having a "female faction" within the Imperium of Man ought to be an heresy in itself. :imperialscum:
They're not a faction, they're soldiers of the state church, the (corrupt) Ecclesiarchy, and not the only ones. On the other hand the Witch Hunters are a (sub)faction, as "Witchhunters" is just colloquial for one of the three big divisions of the Inquisition, specifically the "Ordo Hereticus," which hunts down.. heresy. Which is why they work with the Sisters of Battle often. And the "Ecclesiarchy state church" is miniscule in power compared to the Inquisition, for (besides the fact that the Ordo Hereticus was founded to watch over the Ecclesiarchy) the two are intended for different reasons. The Ecclesiarchy maintains the "Imperial cult" religion through the Imperium, with seeking out heresy only one of its departments. Whereas the Inquisition is there *only* to root out (1) Chaos Daemons - Ordo Malleus, (2) Xenos - Ordo... Xenos, and (3) Heresy/chaos in ordinary mankind - Ordo Hereticus. Typically it's the Ordo Hereticus that calls on them when they want, not the other way around. It's more like the Sisters of Battle are a squad type within an Witch Hunter/Ordo Hereticus army.

Of course, typically people mass Immolators and only Immolators because they just want to burninate everything, and the Salamanders aren't extreme enough.

The "Imperium of Man" by the 41st millennium is, you might say, post-apocalyptic. The apocalypse about a 10 millennia before. The Emprah is a corpse on life-support (<- feeding him thousands of psyker souls), all his main generals are missing, dead, corrupted, or girlymen. A decadent, typical corrupt government administers the Imperium since the Emprah can't. Enough knowledge and technology has been lost that mankind had de-progressed, and still is. Engineers and mechanics are known as Techpriests, who believe that a "Machine Spirit" - a servant of the "Machine God" - lives in every piece of technology. Part of that is because there used to be A.I., but it was too intelligent and so Chaos warped and corrupted them lol. Religion is antithetical to the Imperium of Man because the Emprah hated hated hated religion, including punishing those that considered him a God-Emperor with divine powers. The truth of the matter is that, in the 40k setting, he's right. The only "spiritual" thing that exists is the Warp, where Chaos lives. In other words, there is only Hell, no Heaven, and the Corpse Emperor is only a god in that he protects the Imperium against the Warp/Hell. But that is all he is limited to do in his current state, which means huge growth in psyker, mutant, heretic populations.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Having a "female faction" within the Imperium of Man ought to be an heresy in itself.

their existence comes from a legal loophole

the ecclesiarchy was not allowed to have any 'men at arms', so they went with womyn at arms instead lol

TLDR Sisters of Battle was a terrible translation to vidya games.

sisters are a cool faction in soulstorm, stop the lies

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Sisters of Battle, like rl wmbyn, are an enigma to me. Must learn moar.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Having a "female faction" within the Imperium of Man ought to be an heresy in itself.

their existence comes from a legal loophole

the ecclesiarchy was not allowed to have any 'men at arms', so they went with womyn at arms instead lol
Well the loophole was bigger.

The law of banning "men at arms" came after Vandire, the Master of the Administratium, took over the Ecclesiarchy via proxy. And triggered the Age of Apostasy lol (research that your self). Back then the militant wing of the Ecclesiarchy were men, the "Frateris Templar." Before Vandire, the Ecclesiarchy had already gained in power, though in terms of Imperium-wide cultural influence. With Vandire, the religious Ecclesiarchy's Fraters Templar, were essentially led by a non-religious High Lord of Terra. So basically they got corrupt/got sent to do corrupt shit, enough so that they banned the Frateris Templar by saying the Ecclesiarch could hold "any men under arms."

It's almost like the Sisters of Battle are like clones of Joan-of-Arc or Eowyn.

Edit: Oh, and conveniently it was the rebellious "Daughters (or Brides) of the Empire cult" that, simplistically, killed Vandire.

Well, either way, I like the fluff so whatever.

I mean, if you're looking for SJW to hate, the Sisters of Battle are not to turn to. The Tau are.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Sisters of Battle, like rl wmbyn, are an enigma to me. Must learn moar.
Sure. There's lore and fluff, but the one big fact is that, in real life tabletop rules, Sisters of Battle are the flamer faction (including heavy flamers on their armored personnel carriers). So in terms of playing tabletop, the enigma isn't an enigma - People play Sisters of Battle because they want to fucking burn shit.

In terms of 40k lore and fluff, the best place to find it is 1d4chan.

Space Marine Guideline 1: Thou shalt not refer to the Adepta Sororitas as "Bolter Bitches," nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of their "Red Rage," lest thou wish to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.
(4chanified joke)
Sisters are moderately powerful but they are "female equivalents" but not "female equals." In other words, they are females that perform the same roles as a regular Space Marine squad, with very similar equipment (except for an armory only filled with flamers). But instead of being biologically and technologically uberhumen like Space Marines, they are regular (physically trained) humans with a degree of psyker powers (not too much, I think).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, this is all pointless. Because the SJW-ness of the Tau out-do anything like the Sisters of Battle or Howling Banshees or whatever.

So, like, anyone wanna complain about the Tau?

Also, I'm down for Last Stand.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Tau are the disgusting communist

As a communist, I find this insulting

being abhorrent Xenos their government is a bug-like oppression based on the Ethereals' mind control, clearly not comparable to any superior form of government born from the Great Mind of Man

TauSympathizer.png

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently playing through Dawn of War: Dark Crusade with the Titanium mod. https://www.moddb.com/mods/titanium-wars-mod
Its actually one of the most enjoyable and polished mods I've ever played - it works in single player, the modder has added a bucketload of units that seamlessly mix with the game, wargear works with the new hero units (it equips on them as you upgrade your main unit) and it has titans.

It has titans.

On a side note: I can't find the Dawn of War 3 thread - I haven't bought it yet and wanted to see how shit the Codex thought it was. Has the game been deemed too much of a heresy and the whole thread expunged?.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On a side note: I can't find the Dawn of War 3 thread - I haven't bought it yet and wanted to see how shit the Codex thought it was. Has the game been deemed too much of a heresy and the whole thread expunged?.
Nah, it is just so obviously bad and not even played by two hundred people any more that the thread died on its own. You can probably find it somewhere a few pages back in the thread list.
It is a very good example of a failed game in almost every regard, many lessons (in how NOT to develop and design a game) can be learned from it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Nah, it is just so obviously bad and not even played by two hundred people any more that the thread died on its own. You can probably find it somewhere a few pages back in the thread list.
It is a very good example of a failed game in almost every regard, many lessons (in how NOT to develop and design a game) can be learned from it.

I was gonna buy it in a sale for the next story entry for the Blood Ravens, but will probably just read it on the wikia.

On another subject: anyone know how to get the Russian password to work for DOW: Soulstorm Titanium Mod? The modder has released it here: https://yadi.sk/d/GKiXF_5PFMucP but there seems to be kind of Russian misdirection/interference being done becasue the password provided doesn't work on the 1GB private version of the file - I'm assuming this is the one with tyranids that he was banned from Moddb for?. Thanks.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Didn't you get the torrent? There's no password on that one.

Thanks for the reply, I don't use utorrent - the link I provided seems legit enough. Anyway the password provided is wrong - the actualy password is свобода which translates as freedom in Russian. I found the answer on Youtube.

Pesky Russians.
:martini:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just finished the Order campaign in Winter Assault and I am very pleased by the game. I think I like it just as much as the original DoW campaign. I loved playing as the imperial guard and the eldar. Especially the imperial guard, because the vast majority of battles/operations are carried out by the IG rather than the Space Marines. It felt more authentic this way-the Space Marines are not made for large scale meatgrinders. I also loved how the maps were larger scale than the DoW campaign. They did feel like a real battlefield. Also, the IG packs unreal amount of firepower. I will now continue with the Chaos/Ork campaign. It does seem promising, but I find the large ork armies a little to hard to manage. And the orks, while cool, do get repetitive with their over the top inanity.

Also, Sturn is hands down the best character in Dawn of War 1.

I actually dislike the campaigns of Dark Crusade and especially Soulstorm because they lack story/missions. The DoW 1 Space Marine campaign remains superb. I love how they used the setting and explained a lot of things about the lore.

After that, I might continue with DoW 2. I saw that people here recommend scipping the original campaign and directly playing Chaos Rising. This is probably what I will do as well. I will miss the large scale battles of DoW 1, though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom