Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane I don't like RPGs anymore

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, try the Mechcommander games (I think they're freeware now) and Mechwarrior 3. Mechcommander Gold was almost like playing DOW 2 but with giant old school mechs - mechs that actually felt like they were 100 tonne machines of death, and all in old school graphics - Mechcommander 2 wasn't too bad but it was a bit like going from the IE games to NWN graphic-wise.

I still break out my old WIN98se PC every once in a while to play Mechwarrior3 - get hold of the soundtracks from Mechwarrior2, play them on a loop, and you've got an insight into a gaming experience that has never been replicated since. Each mission was presented with a 3d view of the battlefield/map, with the strategist on your team going over the plan of action, the AI wasn't too bad and you had x2 other mechs to command. And it had salvage. You could actually line up a shot to an enemy mech's head, blast the pilot to death with a PPC or Gaus Rifle and claim the mech at the end of the mission. This is a game mechanic that was so brilliant and underused over the years that its now making me depressed just thinking about the lost opportunities over the years decades since ...and no, the X3 universe doesn't compare at all in any regard...but try out X3: Albion prelude with the Star Wars mod, the modder has managed to get almost all of the ships from the Star Wars universe in that game. The only downside is that game will eat you life.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I feel that Ravenloft: Stone Prophet was vastly superior to Anvil of Dawn. At the time, Stone Prophet was a great game, and the Egyptian atmosphere, they nailed it. In 1999, Anvil of Dawn was playable, however.

I remember championing for stone prophet here as well. Its an unappreciated gem. 10 years ago it was quite a mess to get it running properly. Other than that, its fucking great. Would not touch the other Ravenloft games again, especially the first one.

I feel proud having played it on its original timeframe (circa 1996), same with Shining Force 2 (on a different note). Also some effort with the boot disk, but that was indeed fun, and paved my way as an informatician.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Depends on your definition of "millennial", for me they're those born at the turn of the millennium precisely, 2000-2001, so 17-18 now.

Some fags think the term extends to people around 35, so that'd include me and Lilura too probably, but I call that BS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Depends on your definition of "millennial", for me they're those born at the turn of the millennium precisely, 2000-2001, so 17-18 now.

Some fags think the term extends to people around 35, so that'd include me and Lilura too probably, but I call that BS.

These things have actual definitions you know. Millennial means people who came of age at the dawn of the new millennium, not people born then. Millennials were born in the mid to late 80s through 90s. Teenagers today are part of the next generation after that, usually called Generation Y, Z or (most annoyingly) "iGen."

Mortmal

Arcane
Its even worse than before, you could expect a good walking simulator from Bethesda, now its microtransaction online hell . As for bioware i looked at their last game trailer anthem, not interested at all, but there's big robots explosions and all. So i thought i am probably not the target for those kind of games , i then show it to my 5 year old nephew and ask him if he wants the game , i am buying if he wants. Says no, he's not interested at all either....True story .Bioware go bankrupt after that i bet.

Just you wait until digital gaming is moved to cloud computing and playing with a fast lane... we still need faster fiber speeds but it's coming eventually. No more owned games... just loan. A hellish future. I hope indie and midrange devs can save this.
hope so, this means the pc going back to his niche.Might end up like this no more AAA at all since it will strictly go to the cloud.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
hope so, this means the pc going back to his niche.Might end up like this no more AAA at all since it will strictly go to the cloud.

Oh those same cloud services will exist (and probably thrive) on PC, and tons of people will give in and support them because they can't live without playing the next Elder Scrolls or whatever.

Theldaran

Liturgist

These things have actual definitions you know. Millennial means people who came of age at the dawn of the new millennium, not people born then. Millennials were born in the mid to late 80s through 90s. Teenagers today are part of the next generation after that, usually called Generation Y, Z or (most annoyingly) "iGen."

Blame adolescents now, then. Blame adolescents ever.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Videogames are still cool. I am young so i too aside from new games still have massive backlogs of classic.

Instead i am playing ultima 4 and its pretty cool so far (okay combat and encounter rate suck ass, but NPC interaction and searching to gain the virtues is awesome.)

if someone would remake it, i say keep the "query" dialog thing, but revamp the combat to be a proper turn based tactical combat that allows for sparing fleeing enemies, etc

I also look forward to future rpgs like TNW, kingmaker, etc.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
With Grimoire out and spoken over, the culture war threads remain the only content of interest.
We can still look forward to Cleve's next project, Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination

VggZYI8.png

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
RPGs were always a distraction for when you couldn't get a tabletop game together. It should be no surprise that they're shit now, given the state of the source of their inspiration. Cleve being stuck in the past, when you play through Grimoire the modules are very evident--in a good way. Writing is its strong point, as opposed to intro to philosophy wank. The loading screen even portrays Grimoire as a faux tabletop game. Video games are bigger than Hollywood now, and a mass audience is necessary to recoup costs, meaning they're being made for people for whom icosahedron is a made up word. And they were already niche to begin with. I don't trust indies to make good RPGs, because they're aping old video games instead of taking into context what led to those games being created in the first place.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
It's not just RPG's, but games in general. The older I've gotten, the less and less inclined I've become to sit in front of a computer screen for more then an hour or two at a time. And even when I do play a game, I now enjoy things that I can either easily alt tab or leave off of quickly, or the game has to be so engrossing that I can't be bothered to want to do anything else. I don't mind though. I used to parties or kickbacks sometimes because I wanted to play a game, now that I've grown older, I find that I enjoy spending time with people or working out far more enjoyable then games ever were (escape PS:T).

Paper

Educated
Whenever someone blames leftists or rightists or millenials or whatever, who they really mean are just americans. Americans causing problems for americans, I'm tired of hearing about it.

Look to the other side of the world: While American companies were turning their R.P.G.s into boring pandering shit, the Japanese were creating complex games like the Xenoblade series, Zelda: Link between Worlds and Triforce Heroes, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Little King's Story, Half-Minute Hero 1 and 2, Ever Oasis, and Shin Megami Tensei 4, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Persona 5

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Look to the other side of the world: While American companies were turning their R.P.G.s into boring pandering shit, the Japanese were creating complex games like the Xenoblade series, Zelda: Link between Worlds and Triforce Heroes, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Little King's Story, Half-Minute Hero 1 and 2, Ever Oasis, and Shin Megami Tensei 4, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Persona 5

I'm kinda disappointed in the Japanese. Why haven't they made a feudal Japan era RPG?. Can you imagine an RPG set in that era either based on archtypes like we saw in Total War 2, or a more fantasy themed game drawing inspiration from an anime like Ninja Scroll?. If there are any Japanese RPG fans on the Codex; please contact your local MP to divert funds to a suitable Japanese developer to make this happen. I expect it would sell so much it would actually have a positive impact on your economy, and every RPG fan would be eternally grateful.
Sincerely.

newtmonkey

Arcane
There's a huge backlog of okay to awesome DOS RPGs, and I would wager that even people who grew up playing these games in the 80s and so on have only played/finished a small portion (I only had access to what was on store shelves or available via mail order), and putting 15 mins into getting used to the user interface is imo far easier than wading through endless text and exposition.

Then there are the Japanese Wiz clones, the best of which are as deep as the ocean, and yet can be playing in 15-20 minute chunks if you don't have a lot of time to commit.

You've also got boatloads of classic JRPGs from the 8-bit and early 16-bit eras (before they became polluted with anime archetypes and a focus on "story" over all else). You might be surprised by how enjoyable the early Final Fantasy (specifically 1-3) and Dragon Quest/Warrior games (specifically 2 and 3) are, as well as Phantasy Star 1-2 and somewhat lesser-known gems like Lufia and SaGa series.

So my serious answer to OP is to take a break from recent games and try playing some older games you might have missed back in the day. Playing Wizardry 1 seriously for the first time completely changed how I felt about not only that game in particular, but games in general thanks to its complete lack of "fat."

Or, just take a break from RPGs in general, like others have suggested. I find myself playing RPGs exclusively for a few weeks, and then get stuck/annoyed at something and switch over to replaying Dark Souls games obsessively for a week, then find myself playing old console games for a break, then it's back to RPGs again.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Total War 2

Total War 2 is Medieval. But if you are talking about Shogun, then yes, it's my favourite weeb game.

Yeah, Shogun 2. AFAIK the Japanese are and always have been world leaders in studying things from other countries, pulling them apart and improving them...so I've always wondered why they haven't done a western RPG set in feudal Japan?. I don't know much about Kara-Tur, but isn't there an opportunity and ruleset available there?. I just stick this question on the same mental post-it note alongside why an American developer has yet to make a decent western RPG. I still haven't played Hard West.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom