Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane I don't like RPGs anymore

Theldaran

Liturgist
You found the perfect place to post then, no one really likes them here either. And even if a good one is released once in a blue moon someone will review to tell you how utter shit it is.

In the current state of the industry, we have to put our RPG-making faith in AA and indie studies. Games like Serpent in the Staglands are fine, but of course, they can't sell millions -they're not for everyone, but work well within their niche.

We can't really expect a lot from Bethesda, Bioware, etc...

Mortmal

Arcane
You found the perfect place to post then, no one really likes them here either. And even if a good one is released once in a blue moon someone will review to tell you how utter shit it is.

In the current state of the industry, we have to put our RPG-making faith in AA and indie studies. Games like Serpent in the Staglands are fine, but of course, they can't sell millions -they're not for everyone, but work well within their niche.

We can't really expect a lot from Bethesda, Bioware, etc...
Its even worse than before, you could expect a good walking simulator from Bethesda, now its microtransaction online hell . As for bioware i looked at their last game trailer anthem, not interested at all, but there's big robots explosions and all. So i thought i am probably not the target for those kind of games , i then show it to my 5 year old nephew and ask him if he wants the game , i am buying if he wants. Says no, he's not interested at all either....True story .Bioware go bankrupt after that i bet.

To me it's just become a lot harder to get into single player games in general. Most of the ones I can play through are my favorite older games but it's very rare for me to actually be hooked by any new games. However I'm much more heavily into PvP games as I am getting older. I get a lot more excitement out of battling human opponents than slaughtering AI in single player games. Fuck, it's at the age of 33 that I finally felt motivated to improve at RTS, after completely sucking at them for 15 years. Like, not even being able to play campaigns on Hard level of suck. And now I am having tons of fun laddering in Starcraft II. Only new RPG that actually interests me is Kingdom Come but I gotta get a CPU/MOBO/RAM upgrade for that and it's just too much investment for one game right now. Gonna keep riding my i5-2320 from 2011 out.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Sorry I was drunk for real.
Half-drunk more like, but still.
People kept pouring stuff to drink on a dinner yesterday night, I'm too old for this shit really.
:negative:
So I came back home (somehow), thought to myself "let's browse the Codex for a moment before attempting the bed", saw Sawyer's FACE again on the main page, and that triggered the Epiphany. :D

I should probably have said "I don't have the patience for them anymore", because ATM I don't think I could play even one of the great ones.
Seriously: go there, take quest, listen to some inane rambling, fetch item, backtrack, miss stuff and have to go back AGAIN, manage inventory, et cetera.
And that's the GOOD case (a classic, good, or great, RPG).
If it's one of the new ones, I'd even risk bumping into some blue haired NPC lecturing me about the patriarchy or the horrors of fat-shaming - not to mention, I'd risk having to deal with "BALANCE".

Anyway, the mood will change again, I guess.
Right now I'm playing XCOM, I suppose it'll take a while....

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Its even worse than before, you could expect a good walking simulator from Bethesda, now its microtransaction online hell . As for bioware i looked at their last game trailer anthem, not interested at all, but there's big robots explosions and all. So i thought i am probably not the target for those kind of games , i then show it to my 5 year old nephew and ask him if he wants the game , i am buying if he wants. Says no, he's not interested at all either....True story .Bioware go bankrupt after that i bet.

Just you wait until digital gaming is moved to cloud computing and playing with a fast lane... we still need faster fiber speeds but it's coming eventually. No more owned games... just loan. A hellish future. I hope indie and midrange devs can save this.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I should probably have said "I don't have the patience for them anymore", because ATM I don't think I could play even one of the great ones.
Seriously: go there, take quest, listen to some inane rambling, fetch item, backtrack, miss stuff and have to go back AGAIN, manage inventory, et cetera.
And that's the GOOD case (a classic, good, or great, RPG).

You should try blogging about them; it's more fun than just playing. Four years for me and no burnout. And I've been playing RPGs for over 20 years.

Sad, I know.

Repressed Homosexual
The problem is all the fags who wanted to "take RPG design to the next level" (of gayness).

NOTHING needed to change in the first place. Old-school blobbers and Gold Box games were 100% fine, they just needed cleaner graphics and interfaces.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The problem is all the fags who wanted to "take RPG design to the next level" (of gayness).

NOTHING needed to change in the first place. Old-school blobbers and Gold Box games were 100% fine, they just needed cleaner graphics and interfaces.

GB games were not fine*; they lacked variety, character customization and monster AI. But if you miss the GB games there hundreds of FRUA modules to play.
Blobbers were fine but degenerated into casual games like MM3-5 and single character games like Anvil of Dawn.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't really think I like FPS games anymore. When I say that I mean all of them, like I go back and play ones I used to really enjoy and now I'm kind of bored. I think my brain just moved on. If that's how you feel about RPGs then no, you don't like RPGs anymore.

However it more sounds like you don't like a lot of recently released RPGs, which is a totally different thing (and entirely subjective).

Theldaran

Liturgist
Blobbers were fine but degenerated into casual games like MM3-5 and single character games like Anvil of Dawn.

I feel that Ravenloft: Stone Prophet was vastly superior to Anvil of Dawn. At the time, Stone Prophet was a great game, and the Egyptian atmosphere, they nailed it. In 1999, Anvil of Dawn was playable, however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom