Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
FEAR Trilogy, first time
The first one is just great, in gameplay, atmosphere and minimalistic plot. The spooky parts aren't generally very spooky but are a good breakup between all the combat, keeping you from getting tired of it. I really like that there is no happy ending and everything is very bleak and keeps getting worse, especially in Extraction Point. Would have really liked to see the teased Ghost Apocalypse :( Liked it a lot more than Max Payne, which does have the same gimmick.
Fear 2 is a good game, but a disappointment as a sequel. It only has early onset of consolitis, but plot got really retarded, especially with the ghost pregnancy. Alma made like a 180 turn with that.
Fear 3 is just shit in every regard. They basicly went full retard with everything from gameplay to plot, not much more to say, except it's super short so I finished anyway. Playing as Fettel was actually more fun than PointMan, can't imagine how derpy and unFear it would get in coop.

FEAR 1 is way better than both but I don't get preferring 2 to 3. They both kind of suck and reek of Xbawks 360 shooter era, but at least 3 had some neat new mechanics with Fettel and if I recall correctly it had better level design and ended mercifully quicker.

i spent the whole afternoon updating mods, installing them with the nexus mod manager, organizing the load order with loot, fine tuning their needs with wrye flash, finally it looks like i have no conflict or missing file whatsoever.
i still spend more time crashing than playing.
i haven't really installed any new big mod, nothing groundbreakingly different from the last time, they're mostly still the same, i even cut some because for some reason they refuse to install, but the starting locations mod found for me a place i didn't remember and ten paces after the beginning i stepped on a mine, which is fine.

JDR13

Arcane
Playing Hyper Light Drifter at the moment. It's a neat little indie action-adventure that takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting.

I normallly dislike games using any kind of retro pixel graphics, but they really nailed the atmosphere in this one, and the game world is interesting enough.

ortucis

Prophet
i spent the whole afternoon updating mods, installing them with the nexus mod manager, organizing the load order with loot, fine tuning their needs with wrye flash, finally it looks like i have no conflict or missing file whatsoever.
i still spend more time crashing than playing.
i haven't really installed any new big mod, nothing groundbreakingly different from the last time, they're mostly still the same, i even cut some because for some reason they refuse to install, but the starting locations mod found for me a place i didn't remember and ten paces after the beginning i stepped on a mine, which is fine.

Max, dearest of all my friends.

I also, recently, tried to download mods using Nexus Manager. After downloading 15GB of mods, I realized, I had better things to do and that storage space can store so many more things that'll keep you happy, for a long time.

Same realization I had back when I did the same thing for Oblivion.

Anyway, some screenshots from Star Wars: The Old Republic. First MMO I've played that feels like a solo story driven game for solo players with basic C&C, compared to games like Guild Wars and LOTROnline:

7bn4qmP.jpg

tCxYC8Q.jpg

YT50NLC.jpg

uvephzE.jpg

7QSpeFn.jpg

r2uzjiY.jpg

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
One thing I will say is that Ninja gaiden being held up as one of the best Hack & slash series is deserved but there's no denying it, Devil May Cry does have a better combat system than Ninja Gaiden and all the other Hack & Slash games I've played.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, they traded blood & gore for boob physics & jiggling

Sigma 1 is an amazing game, this game though, a piece of shit
Sigma had a terrible ending and terrible final 3 bosses. The game should've ended right after you got through the tower and fought Marbus.

Sigma 2 is easy, up to Chapter 8, I have only died a few times and they we're against two bosses. Genshin and Red & Blue Tengu. The former I played around with not taking the fight seriously, the latter I was intimidated by fighting two bosses at the same time but after learning their moveset, all I had to do was be aggressive towards them and block other attacks.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Finished Alvora tactics
My first regret is not getting an ignis knight sooner. His burn consuming attack dethroned the oversized sword throw as the most damaging single target attack of the party. As for his other abilities, i will say that this is the type of class that inspires you to do something crazy on the second playthrough, like make an entire party of them :timetoburn:
Second regret is underutilizing the manaburn spell of the unmaker. In retrospective, a few fights could be made easier if i used it more often.
The last regret is not realising immediately that Spell archon/Scholar is a better combo than Spell archon/Sorcerer. Can't beat a simple upgraded fireball.

I must say that while i enjoyed this one i enjoyed the original voidspire tactics a bit more. But all in all, good game.

Okagron

Prophet
Been playing Hollow Knight and i'm really enjoying it. Also installed S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadows of Chernobyl and gonna start that playing soon.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I've just completed Slay The Spire in literally my first run. Only the final boss made me break a sweat, where I won just by ~2 rounds. I've clocked 119 minutes, so I'm still within the refund limit.

FbPJqMF.jpg

Does the game have anything else to offer?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It gets much harder on higher ascensions, there's leaderboards and daily challenges, and a bunch of items and cards to unlock (which arguable make things harder, since you'll be less able to force a strategy around specific cards/relics) and you might just have gotten lucky on your run and find it more challenging in general (though you don't seem to have any OP relic combinations that I can see.)

Also, you only fought 1 elite on the run? Bitch.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm currently playing blind Phantom Pain.
And I progressed from trying to do stuff like a pro, to being incredible in stealth, to starting to become like this:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Also, you only fought 1 elite on the run? Bitch.
If this was BoI I'd fought them, in this game HP management seems more important than the items you get from elites.

If everything there is now is artificial difficulty without new bosses or episodes I will refund.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Which bosses did you fight, out of curiosity? There's 3 for each tier, iirc.

But yeah, if you don't care for pushing builds as far as they can go this probably isn't the game for you. The baseline difficulty is pretty trivial, much like BoI.

Hyperpube

Scholar
Been playing Yakuza 0 . I never played the series before and a lot of people jizzz their pants over the series and said this game was the best to start , so I figured I'd try it since parts of it looked it could be fun.
I consider myself pretty easily entertained by games compared to the codex in general, but I think I genuinely hate this game so far. I'm on chapter 4, and I'm just bored off my ass. Chapter 1 started out pretty good, had a decent story and I got to fight a bunch of dudes in a building and fight a yakuza boss. I guess chapter 2 was ok because I spent some time just wandering around and fucking with some mini-games like space harrier, outrun, darts, bowling etc.
Then chapter three started with a new character, and a cutscene that lasted like 18 minutes, and the rest of the chapter was pretty much running around talking to people for over an hour. In all of chapter three there was pretty much no combat at all except for some very brief tutorials (one where you didn't even hit the guy you just had to dodge his attacks) or some brief random battles in the city that last like 30 seconds. Now I'm on chapter 4 and basically it consists of walking from one place to another just to talk to somebody. I think my missions for this chapter has been like this: Go to club you work at. Get phone call from boss where he tells you to meet somewhere to eat. Walk to the appointed spot and eat with your boss and talk with him about somebody he wants to have killed. Walk to a phone club and call some girls to find the location of a guy you're supposed to kill. Meet the girl you talked to on the phone and take her to a restauarant to eat and talk. Next take her to a disco where you're going to talk some more.
I don't mind some story or cutscenes in my game, parts of the story are actually good. But I swear with chapters 3 and 4 I have been playing the main story quest like over 2 hours now and just running around talking to people, with the exception of the rare random encounter from enemies in the crowd which last like 30 seconds and have no challenge at all. There are some side stories aside from the main story, but all those consist of nothing but more talking. Even when I just want to go into an arcade to play some Outrun, some dudes interrupted when I was about to walk in, and then talked to me again when I exited the arcade.
I just want to beat the shit out of some people in this game instead of running around talking all the time. I know the combat in this game isn't super deep, but parts of it looked fun enough with the ability to smash people over the head with bikes, or breakdance kick them in the face. So far there has been barely any of that. I think chapter 1 is the only time where there was a notably long time of fighting enemies

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Which bosses did you fight, out of curiosity? There's 3 for each tier, iirc.

But yeah, if you don't care for pushing builds as far as they can go this probably isn't the game for you. The baseline difficulty is pretty trivial, much like BoI.
The one that's made out of rhombus and reconfigures after receiving lots of damage per round. A big ass knight. And an aggresive rat that had two life bars with two cultists.

A BoI run would be within an hour and the moment-to-moment is better, that's what hooks you to keep on playing.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Starbound: brain dead game, only playable while listening to podcasts or audio books otherwise play Terraria. even the building aspect is worse many textures don't quite match each other, the planets all look similar to their corresponding type and their random generated quests are as boring, the main quest locations aren't as terrible maybe they could have made more of those around the hub, lots of grinding for fleeting or outright useless upgrades. I remember flying around a planet while playing the flute way back in beta but you can't even do that anymore.
Barebones feels like it could be much more, a consequence of the early access model.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Might&Magic 7.
I'm not enjoying it as much as I did the first time I played it, or when I recently replayed MM 6 and 1.
Objectively there's much incline, but somehow it lacks the thrill and sense of danger and exploration of the two above mentioned games.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Pillars of Eternity the Earth,Daedalic's adaptation of Ken Follett's book.I know many didn't like it but since I liked the book I decided to pick it during a sale.The graphics are nice and it's a nice depiction of 12th century England,but that is the best part of the game.Like most have said this isn't a classic adventure game, Daedalic has moved towards the Telltale formula although this one is more of an actual game than Telltale's.Still just mediocre and I can't say I liked the differences between the book and the game.Not recommended,just read the book if you interested instead.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Pools of Darkness
NhLQzL7.png

Yeah, live long and prosper, Elminster. You crackhead vagrant.

Goddamn this game turned my soul to a cinder, no joke. The 99.9% impossible final fight(s) was just the icing on the cake. That's not even me being dramatic or anything: the final fight is basically impossible if you're not 180% ready for it. I had a max-maxed party, fully buffed but even then it's ludicrously difficult.

As for the rest of the game, if you asked me what I was even doing or why I really don't have a clue. The storyline is muddled and overlong. It has something to do with the malevolent machinations of Bane, conspiring demons, dimensional portals, pools of evil and various manifestations of horseshit. When you're not spammed to death by lightning bolts (the only real credible threat out there), you're secretly yearning for the simpler days of Pool of Radiance. Elminster is your crutch, acting as a home base of sorts as you meander about in Limbo trying to retrieve artifacts and shit. At one time you're traversing across and into the gigantic body of a god, which sounds interesting but it was just so badly designed and redundant that it quickly lost its charm for me. Like the rest of this game. The first part of it wasn't that bad simply because it reminded me of PoR but it goes down hill when you're forced into the needlessly convoluted Limbo. MEH.

The next time I see Elminster I'll kick him in his sack of junk. He's the real villain of this shit, forcing you go on stupid quests and do battle with fiends when you could just kick back and let the world burn like a champ.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Got Spacechem since it's hella cheap and I can quickly download and start playing it while Vermintide 2 downloads in the background. Pretty good fun, been coming close to (or even hitting) TURBO AUTISM on the leaderboard spectrum for all the levels so far. Also been slowly working my way through Overload. I tend to play it in small sessions since I spend ages looking for secrets and the difficulty level is getting pretty feisty now.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Razor's Edge is good, but be aware that you can't rely too much on canceling since the game has few moves that can be cancelled into dodging/blocking (also you can't block immediately when landing on the floor). It's harder to pull UTs, so you need to use Steel on Bones as much as you can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom