Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Deathsquid

Learned
I know this isn't in the traditional spirit of fraud laws, but do you think it's about time we added a penalty for "criminally stupid" victims of fraud? ?
Only if the penalty can be bought with real money before it even exists yet. Then never deliver it but sell them more punishments.

Father Foreskin

Learned
If you really need to know what kind of a person puts massive amounts of money to this game or Shroud of the Avatar, lets take a look at Matt shall we.

Matt was born to middle class family in a well-off western country. His parents both had college degrees and they lived in a comfortable suburban home. Matts parents were oftentimes absent due work, so they tried to compensate this by getting Matt all the toys he wanted. Matt loved videogames, and his friends with thick eyeglasses would huddle around the nintendo controllers all weekends.

In school Matt was successful. By success i mean grades, not being popular or being respected by his peers. Girls called Matt "Krang" behind his back. Krang was a character in a popular show back then. In college Matt finally got to live his wilder years, he even almost visited a prostitute. 3 hours before the appointment he decided to spend the money on Pokemon cards.

One day Matt was at work, in his small office. He was reading mail in the morning when an advertisement caught his eye. "STAR CITIZEN SUPER ADMIRAL PACK NOW ONLY 5999 DOLLARS!". What a waste of money, Matt thought. But those technical details of the ships, they really enticed the engineer in him. And he now had some money and nowhere to spend it. Matt started daydreaming, commanding his Idris in his tiny office. He could finally be somebody of note, a star admiral. There might even be some ladyfolk playing. "A WOMAN ON MY IDRIS, hmmpf ill allow it for now". Matt fell deeper into to the promise and that night he paid 5999 for a videogame that would never come.

Deathsquid

Learned
Hahahaahaha love how they copy pasted the same three a hundred times and call it a day.
These trees were Procedurally Generated. It takes Star Citizen devs a day to create an entire solar system and populate it with unique content on top of that. Finally, they put all kinds of NPCs whose AI can pass the Turing test and let subsumption do the rest.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
We wuz star citizens n sheeeeeeeeeeit

ZWmvbE9.gif

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sounds plausible.

But do they simulate the individual leaves?
They even simulate soil erosion over time.
But do they simulate the tectonic plates movement and effects of it? How about all the natural disasters? Would the local wiled life have the AI coding to recognize the upcoming disasters and run/hide? Also would there be realistic worms in the soil?

Thal

Augur
And he now had some money and nowhere to spend it.

I first read this as "no woman to spend it on".

Seriously though. An enterprising psychologist or a sociologist could build a magnificent career on the foundation provided by this game. Something is really, really, wrong with our societies and it should be looked into before it's too late.

Azazel

Arbiter
We live in the end of days bread and circus era of a declining global empire. As millions starve or kill each other o'er petty scraps elsewhere, we bicker over the minute details of imaginary internet spaceships, for which we've paid thousands of dollars.

It's like the final days of Rome, except the hedonists are jerkin' it with cheeto dust instead of enjoying orgies surrounded by delicacies.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Patch 3.2 is out now. I played for few hours tonight and this is by far the best state the game has been in since before 3.0. Framerate is still shitty, but it was stable in the 20 - 30 range instead of constantly hitching. I did some mining, missions, and cargo running and didn't have a single client or server crash. The quantum travel updates save a ton of time visiting points of interest.

:greatjob: With this one coming out on time and being pretty solid, I feel optimistic that they might hit their target for the big 3.3 patch in September.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played for few hours tonight and this is by far the best state the game has been in since before 3.0.
Wait, what? A major content patch actually made the game worse? And you people put up with this shit?

With this one coming out on time and being pretty solid, I feel optimistic that they might hit their target for the big 3.3 patch in September.
And maybe by 2030 they'll have finished adding about half of what they've promised so far.

Deathsquid

Learned
Wait, what? A major content patch actually made the game worse? And you people put up with this shit?

Yep, 3.0 and 3.1 actually made a bunch of things worse, for some people the damn thing has been completely unplayable since then, even. Funny enough, from what I've heard the mining mechanic hit their Paid Test Server... yes, may I remind you that this crowdfunded indie game charges a monthly sub fee OR requires you to have spent over 250 (or was it 1K?) to pre-pre-alpha-test... actually deteriorated over the increments, so who knows in what state it'll hit 3.2

Also, it's not a major content patch, there's very little actual content. However, they are finally adding a new actual mechanic to the game, so hey, at least I guess I can't shit on that yet. However, life always finds a way...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Patch 3.2 is out now. I played for few hours tonight and this is by far the best state the game has been in since before 3.0. Framerate is still shitty, but it was stable in the 20 - 30 range instead of constantly hitching. I did some mining, missions, and cargo running and didn't have a single client or server crash. The quantum travel updates save a ton of time visiting points of interest.

:greatjob: With this one coming out on time and being pretty solid, I feel optimistic that they might hit their target for the big 3.3 patch in September.
I can see you on release playing the game at glorious 10 fps and saying "At least they added one more planet."

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Maybe they learnt from Duke Nukem Forever, and instead of a game trying to catch up with technology, they're developing a game that technology hasn't caught up to yet. No really these ships will look great in 20 years on your new Nvidia GTXDX256000 XL OC Analpounder Extreme. At least when it's not busy mining Govcoin to buy some bread.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

I can see you on release playing the game at glorious 10 fps and saying "At least they added one more planet."
Supposedly the OCS update in 3.3 will fix the main issue causing low framerates. The game runs buttery smooth in offline mode and the network performance was fine back in 2.6, so it should be a fixeable problem.

I know this isn't in the traditional spirit of fraud laws, but do you think it's about time we added a penalty for "criminally stupid" victims of fraud? ?

It's arguable at this point that a reasonable person would recognize that giving Roberts money is acting as an accessory to further fraud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom