Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Oracsbox

“Personally, as a gender-fluid pansexual,”

If I ever hear anyone say anything this stupid in real life I'll have no choice other than to thrash them to within an inch of their life.

why are people so obsessed with rpg's and expressing inner deviance and political nonsense ?
what happend to being interested in game mechanics quest/story structure etc..

Don't answer I know
gaming has been infested with people who have no interest in gaming and every self interest except gaming.

It still bothers me even tho' I should be used to it now

Quillon

Arcane

He makes valid criticism imo. That said it wouldn't be jarring to me much since I'm not hispanic nor know the language but I get his point; when hollywood - rarely - depicts my/turkish culture in some movie I'm getting all mad at them cos of all the tropes/wrong stuff, showing arabic culture as turkish etc. Di verus, I always wondered how realistic is it usage of single words from other languages in english? There was that Vega dude in ME3 explaining "loca" to Shopardo, even made me cringe, stupid postenagos.

Rev

Arcane
He makes valid criticism imo. That said it wouldn't be jarring to me much since I'm not hispanic nor know the language but I get his point; when hollywood - rarely - depicts my/turkish culture in some movie I'm getting all mad at them cos of all the tropes/wrong stuff, showing arabic culture as turkish etc. Di verus, I always wondered how realistic is it usage of single words from other languages in english? There was that Vega dude in ME3 explaining "loca" to Shopardo, even made me cringe, stupid postenagos.
Well, if you look at Hollywood you would also think that like 80% of all Italians are gangsters affiliated with the Mafia.
The funny thing is that even in a show that had entire episodes centered on how some cultures are misrepresented in the (American) media and claim to be progressive and all, like Master of None by Ansari in which he often complained about how Indians are portrayed, he then went to make two, extremely stereotyped episodes about Italy.
And I don't think I've ever seen an American movie with a Slav as the good guy also (but plenty in which they're the villains).

KK1001

Arbiter
Like I've said before, they're probably aiming for a fall release that'll get pushed back to early 2020 or just barely squeak in time for the holidays next year.

No way is the game years away. The burn rate on cash employing 300+ people is insane.

ArkBird

Novice
The more I read about this game the more I feel like it's just Mass Effect but cyberpunk, open world, and first person. I can't wait to be hamfisted into a role I never wanted along with a generic as fuck voice.

KK1001

Arbiter
The more I read about this game the more I feel like it's just Mass Effect but cyberpunk, open world, and first person. I can't wait to be hamfisted into a role I never wanted along with a generic as fuck voice.

You really never had a clue if you expected to be able to play WHATEVER you want and not the role of "mercenary on his/her own, doesn't take any sides (until the player decides)." I'm sure there is some ending in store where you can help Arasaka or Militech rule Night City. Not quite the same as playing as a corporate, but that would be an entirely different game, and not the AAA action RPG they're clearly aiming to make.

The role of mercenary lets you be pretty flexible. You can do jobs with the corps, with certain gangs, with anarchist/rebel groups, and so on without being shoehorned into fighting X enemy no matter what. It's a bit more flexible than Mass Effect and the Witcher 3 in that regard.

Quillon

Arcane
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/21470/cyberpunk-2077-e3-2018-trailer-frame-by-frame-ep04

Cyberpunk 2077 E3 2018 Trailer Frame by Frame EP04
Lizzy Wizzy — A modern and controversial star, head of the band “Lizzy Wizzy and the Metadwarves”, where she’s the only human member.

vlcsnap-2018-06-28-10h06m50s250.png

On one hand, poverty and homelessness are real problems in Night City. On the other, the life of luxury and showbusiness are thriving. Advances in technology allow for sharing memories and emotions, using only a small piece of tech — braindance. It enhances consumed mass media and, in many cases, leads to braindance addiction as people crave the life of luxury. Actors are hired specifically to perform these superficial memories, and celebrities are completely stripped of privacy as everyone can “become” them with the use of braindance. The demand for extremes also opens up an entirely new range of products you can find on the Night City black market.

vlcsnap-2018-06-28-10h08m11s35.png

Samurai — A legendary rock band of the past, for which music was a way to show rebellion and fight the system.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Samurai, what a funny name for someone who wants fight the system, instead of serving it. But we also had ninja turtles, so...

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Samurai, what a funny name for someone who wants fight the system, instead of serving it. But we also had ninja turtles, so...

Well the Samurai fought each other for centuries in bloody internal strife over which Shogun gets to the top so there is that.
Presumably they were doing this in an effort to uphold their lords, hence, support the system they were a part of.

The traditional samurai ethos and value system is about being the perfect servant of your lord. The word "samurai" means "one who serves", if I'm not mistaken.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I watched Johny Mnemonic for the first time yesterday.

It had everything - Neo before he was Neo complete with horrible acting, Takeshi Kitano with a dead kid, Dolph Lundgren starring as people massacring Jesus, amazingly WTF 90s idea of what internet is gonna look like in 2021, Ice-T as a boss of a hacker collective of Lo-Tek hobos fighting in the INFOWARS (shit you not), cybernetic dolphin, music by composer of Terminator...

amazeballs
The short story by William Gibson, which the movie is based on, melted my brain when I first read it.

I'll give movie a go, but expect to be disappointed by the final fight.

It's not really a valid criticism. The English language is full of random words taken from other places, like "juggernaut" and "pajamas". So by 2077, in the world of Cyberpunk, some Spanish words have found there way into the lexicon of people in some corporate city in California. He's saying no Latinos from Miami he knows speak that way, but what does that have to do with anything? Stuff like "vamonos" has been used like that for I don't know how long in English just in general. And there also are in fact Latinos that do just randomly drop Spanish works into English, even when there's no national flow to it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
BTW younger people tend to drop in English words in place of ones of their own language all the time. Especially when they want to express an emotion exaggerated for comic effect.

All these sitcoms and videogames don't come without consequences.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
VICE WayPoint's Patrick Klepek on the most important issue plaguing Cyberpunk 2077: http://archive.is/nbsJS

As annoying as Klepeck and Waypoint usually are, I think this is one game where that could be an interesting topic to tackle. Considering the themes will be focused on body-modification and whatnot, it makes sense to perhaps have an option or story thread where it is addressed. The problem is if they don't address it in the just right absolutely 100% San Francisco Liberal perfect way Klepeck desires then he'll tear them a new asshole for it, and CDP know that, so they also know it would be easier to ignore the whole issue altogether.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom