Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Wunderbar

Arcane
During a stream Bjorn Pankratz said, that a small team inside Piranha Bytes are working on a new game in Gothic universe. Obviously, it's on a very early stage, so no new info until ELEX 2 release.

Source (in russian, sorry).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So far game's p. cool. Two things that bother me - enemies respawn. In a PB game. That's a problem bc then the XP rewards must be small, therefore the only way to level up early game is to do quests, running around areas with mobs that one-shot you (like the lake island with the fucking demon). In G2 you could go hunting for a while and get a nice XP haul, here you can't. It also encourages avoiding combat completely which is not good.

Also still can't get the hang of the combat. The enemies seem p. retarded so far, unfortunately so does my dude. "Combine light attack with heavy to get combos" they said, but how? Sometimes combo goes off, sometimes my dude just stands and stares or just randomly flails.

Apart from that the worlds seems fucking massive and handcrafted in the PB trademark style, the first town is grate and quests too.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
"Combine light attack with heavy to get combos" they said, but how? Sometimes combo goes off, sometimes my dude just stands and stares or just randomly flails.
Have enough stamina and learn the timing. Go hit a wall for 30 minutes and figure it out.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So far game's p. cool. Two things that bother me - enemies respawn. In a PB game. That's a problem bc then the XP rewards must be small, therefore the only way to level up early game is to do quests, running around areas with mobs that one-shot you (like the lake island with the fucking demon). In G2 you could go hunting for a while and get a nice XP haul, here you can't. It also encourages avoiding combat completely which is not good.

Also still can't get the hang of the combat. The enemies seem p. retarded so far, unfortunately so does my dude. "Combine light attack with heavy to get combos" they said, but how? Sometimes combo goes off, sometimes my dude just stands and stares or just randomly flails.

Apart from that the worlds seems fucking massive and handcrafted in the PB trademark style, the first town is grate and quests too.

I haven't seen any respawning enemies. And I've completed pretty much the whole game. Just can't beat the final boss battle because of one of the other "awesome" game mechanics, where you fall the fuck down and get stunlocked for like an eternity every time you get hit by a rocket.

And yes, avoid combat like the plague for the first part lf the game. At least until you join a faction, preferably until you get one of their armors. The xp you get from enemies is a fucking joke, and you need to be really highly leveled before you can actually damage things and take hits. Where you DO need to fight, for example if enemies are blocking a quest item or npc, some tips:

1. Get a companion that rushes into battle and distracts enemies so you can hack away at them. The chick is good for that, Carja. The Alb dude too or the Cleric. Others will just stand around and only trigger combat once they get their skulls smashed in, sometimes not even then.

2. Get dat Force Push. As many as you can. This is what I spent all my money on in the first half of the game. It does a huge amount of damage and stuns the enemy for a few seconds during which you can bash it more.

3. Rocketman. Use the jetpack. All. The. Time. Mash that spacebar. You can instantly disengage from most combat by blasting off. Some things will shoot you but with recent patches you can dodge the projectiles. Was hilarious in the release version with autotracking fireballs and rocks taking you down despite apparently missing. Later you can get a skill that allows you to shoot while jetpacking and it is awesome. You become the attack helicopter you always wanted to be.

I'd say the combat is broken but once ypu get to a high enough level and with decent gear it becomes comically easy and thus fun, especially if you get a shotgun and just insta-BLAM BLAM BLAM everything in the face including house-sized Cyclopses that used to send you running and Albs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I did finally learn the combat but I still suck at it. It's mostly due to the stamina requirements which is pretty high even tho my stamina difficulty option is set to Normal. With stronger mobs it usually goes like this - I dodge the first charge, let off my three hit combo aaand I'm out of breath. Then the critter just goes schwing schwing and I'm ded coz I can't dodge. I've upgraded my Stamina once but I feel imma have to go much higher.

Oh and mobs def respawn, maybe not the big ones like trolls and cyclops but the small shit does.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Small shit ones do respawn.
Use your jetpack in combat. Get jetpack attack too if you want to focus on melee, it allows you to stun your enemy and deal a good bit of damage. While you fly in the air you can evade enemy attacks easily and regenerate your stamina and get into another combo.
There's also a skill that increases your stamina by quite a bit, might want to get that too if you go melee.

frajaq

Erudite
only fun things in this game were the jetpack and abusing that black hole spell endlessly

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Small shit ones do respawn.

trolls are now small shit ones

cvv remember you can parry monster attacks, you don't have to dodge all of them, and in fact you shouldn't. It might need some trial and error to see what you can and can't get away with though. Also, stamina increasing potions/talents are a must.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
cvv

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but get the trophy harvesting skill ASAP. With the highest level unlocked many enemies will drop raw ELEX, which will be your primary source of character development in the future (unless you're one of those straight-edge types). Plus it will make you tons of cash.

For combat, it's all about the weapon upgrades. Once you overcome enemies' DR, everything dies pretty fast. You need to get up to 50-60 stat range and tier 2-3 weapons before it happens though, IIRC.

Doktor Best

Arcane
if you've played a pb game before i can't imagine how you'd possibly manage to lead yourself into a dead-end build

I've played all PB games, some of them more than once. I can't imagine you can make a good build in NotR for instance WITHOUT some metaknowledge.

Anyway, ignore charisma, got it.

One thing you have to know about this game is that the phase in which you are prey is longer than in other PB games, so avoid hunting for exp by killing stuff in the forest and stick to the settlements for some easy to grab gear and exp.

Pickpocketing is your friend because you can earn a shitton of elex early on and elex = skillpoints if you put some points into alchemy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
cvv

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but get the trophy harvesting skill ASAP.

You need to get up to 50-60 stat range and tier 2-3 weapons before it happens though, IIRC.

That's basically the only problem this game has - until you get to lvl 20 you're just sprinting away from mobs all the time. I don't like this tbh. In a proper PB game you always gotta level up first before taking on the world but in Elex that takes absurdly long, especially on higher diffs. Combat is always a great reason to play a PB game. I got muh trusty Hatchet now but mobs laugh in my face as I run from them shitting my worker pants. :negative:

T. Reich

Arcane
if you've played a pb game before i can't imagine how you'd possibly manage to lead yourself into a dead-end build

I've played all PB games, some of them more than once. I can't imagine you can make a good build in NotR for instance WITHOUT some metaknowledge.

Anyway, ignore charisma, got it.

One thing you have to know about this game is that the phase in which you are prey is longer than in other PB games, so avoid hunting for exp by killing stuff in the forest and stick to the settlements for some easy to grab gear and exp.

Pickpocketing is your friend because you can earn a shitton of elex early on and elex = skillpoints if you put some points into alchemy.

1pt in pickpocketing is more than enough (and you can get it via equipment very easily) - the number of NPCs with more than 1 valuable stealable item can be counted with one hand.
At least 2pts in trophy harvesting skill are mandatort, though. The long-term benefits of such an investmentcannot be possibly overstated.

cvv Even if you go derp-powergaming mode and invest in non-combat stats/skills early on, you should be able to start getting your fix of Elexirs by lvl10 at the latest, at which point the game becomes reasonably hardm but you can totally do combat and shenanigans even on elite difficulty.
If you went with investing in combat related stats/skills from the get go and did not delay joining a faction for too long, you should be able to start a-hacking at approx lvl5-7.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If you're really bothered by it and want to go melee then in the desert in one of the glass houses east of the outlaws city there's a chain sabre that you can just go to avoiding mobs and grab for free. It's pretty much the best or one of the best 1-handers in the game and unupgraded version has low stat reqs, like 32-32 or sth.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was prancing around the edge of the exile valley at level 9 :rpgcodex:

I'm prancing around Tavar right nao

tenor.gif

imweasel

I'm level 8 now, don't have stats for shits, can't use any real weps yet. What else am I supposed to do.
Use the tools the game gives you: Get a companion.

You can get Duras very early by finishing his questline. He is like a tank in the early game.

Murk

Arcane
Flame thrower's burning DOT or poison infused weapons' poison DOT can also help kill enemies that you otherwise can't damage with direct damage. Also, grenades. Don't need any stats and they'll take care of any early to mid enemies for you.

Been replaying this casually over the last few days, figured it's about time I do a 'serker playthrough. I still enjoy just wandering around a looottttt.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Use the tools the game gives you: Get a companion.

Afaik you don't get XP for mobs if you don't the killing blow? Which you don't since I can barely scratch a jackal. But is fine, the game wants me to level up so level up I will, no biggie. I'm getting the hang out of combat nao, just beat Chloe in the basement with a hatchet.

That's basically the only problem this game has - until you get to lvl 20 you're just sprinting away from mobs all the time. I don't like this tbh. In a proper PB game you always gotta level up first before taking on the world but in Elex that takes absurdly long, especially on higher diffs.

I ended up setting combat to Normal until I got a much better damage output. I also absolutely hated melee in this game so went ranged. First PB game in which I didn't do a melee run first playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom