Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

imweasel

I am a backer and played the demo. Verdict: It is clunky, buggy, completely linear and boring AF. The most fun I had was burning furniture and barrels, but that obviously got real old real quick.

Another 50 dollars straight down the Kickstarter shitter. OH WELL.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I am a backer and played the demo. Verdict: It is clunky, buggy, completely linear and boring AF. The most fun I had was burning furniture and barrels, but that obviously got real old real quick.

Another 50 dollars straight down the Kickstarter shitter. OH WELL.

Is it really that bad?

m_s0

Arcane
So it took them well over 3 years to reach alpha, but they'll finish the game up in 3 months.

Uh-huh.

Big Wrangle

Depends on how "Alpha" we're talking. Some devs use the label to reduce backlash.

m_s0

Arcane
It might just be a countdown to Early Access, sure.

Still not that reassuring considering the pace the game seemed to be developed at until very recently, at which point the priority suddenly changed to pushing it out the door ASAP.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Playthrough by Lead Engineer Will Teixeira:

(I didn't watch this stream and I'm not trying to blame young Will personally here, but: I think it's telling that after the departure of the tech co-founder (seemingly) they couldn't find a dedicated Senior Engineer above Will. There was a job posting looking for "Lead Game Programmer" for the next game early this year but it disappeared pretty quickly, and it doesn't look like they've hired one.

On the other side in Austin (pun intended), Warren Spector has very, very experienced engineers on the team. Given that his team seemingly is also using Unity, I'd guess Boston may make use of Austin's code base for the next project. Well if there is next.)

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
When I played it, it had some pretty aggressive mouse smoothing. Anyone find a way to turn it off? I tried looking through the menus, but didn't see anything that would.

Max Heap

Arcane
So there's no falling damage in the current build huh? Great stuff... :|
I thought I saw some, but it was pretty tame for the height. Might not trigger that easily.

Playthrough by Lead Engineer Will Teixeira:

(I didn't watch this stream and I'm not trying to blame young Will personally here, but: I think it's telling that after the departure of the tech co-founder (seemingly) they couldn't find a dedicated Senior Engineer above Will. There was a job posting looking for "Lead Game Programmer" for the next game early this year but it disappeared pretty quickly, and it doesn't look like they've hired one.

Wasn't that some handyman position, that required several years of professional experience?
I remember reading the job description and it didn't seem like something AAA veterans would come running for.
Seemed really odd.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Do I really have to come to this thread and post occasionally after so many years: "LOL, Shit Game Is Shit"...?

Ok...

LOL, Shit Game Is Shit!

Zep--

Curratum

Thank you for your insightful criticisms, Zepo. Had it not been for you, we would have probably never figured it out on our own, despite scrutinizing every piece of news, dev posts and videos about the game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Babble, babble
Instead of replying with playful banter or insightful critique, or cunning insults, the response is, simply, impulsive complaining and meaningless slurs. This act provides justification to prejudice.
No wonder that someone with your face will have a problem with prejudice. Just look at it...uhhh,it looks like an offspring of a gender fluid troglodyte couple.

DeepOcean

Arcane
My expectations gone down from "Yay! Underworld 3!" to "Yay! Arx Fatalis 2!" to "Ehh... janky shovelware Dishonored?"

It could be unjust to claim that but I'm saying this based on Otherside's own footage so far, I didn't see on any of those videos anything that looks like an RPG that is even close to be ready (where are the NPC interactions?) even if they delay this for an year, there are alot of shit missing on a supposedly Underworld inspired game and I don't think even 1 year would make that big of a difference. I dunno how they gonna save this project.

RoSoDude

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Babble, babble
...This act provides justification to prejudice.
Ramble, ramble.
I will have you know that I worked most harshly towards myself to maintain to perfect it. An individual such as I must be will groomed. Enough about my own, what of yours? Have you ever once looked at a mirror in a while?
23716.jpg

You look quite skeletal, have you been feed in awhile? Not to mention, those bags under your eyes, when was it the last time you had rested? I won't even be surprised to find you drugged next to a dumpster, vagrant.
Well groomed you say,hmmm and well maintained you say.....well maybe me and my friend called BlackJack will come by your house late at night. Please don't wait for us,you and your troglodyte family can go to sleep soundly.

PS:I never trust sleeping npcs people,therefore i smash them with the blackjack in the face and dump them in the nearby dumpster. Tho i don't know how should i proceed with troglodytes.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's with this trend of showing the character's hands on the screen? IIRC Thiaf also did this. Do people really think it is more immersive to roleplay as this guy?
tenor.gif

Big Wrangle

Decided to check the thread myself and...
Joe said:
Hey, everyone. I could go over the elements that you'll soon see that are meant to give more of a UU1 feel to the game (weapon wear, cryptic graffiti, cooking food, etc), but I'd love to hear from you what would most give it that feel.

Also worth noting, the first level is really meant to introduce the player to the immersive sim elements. Really everything you can do before you start growing your character with new combat, magic, or stealth skills -- or even pick up a sword! So it might seem like it leans really heavily on those elements, but we felt like those were important to spotlight first, so you understood how the world works and some of the basic -- optional -- tools as your disposal. (Next up comes skill growth and runic magic.)
After all this time, and some unimpressed journalists, you're gonna show nothing but the fucking tutorial? I'm sorry but this isn't how you're gonna win back some folks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom