Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer Interview on IGN Unfiltered

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aliens: Crucible; Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren); Fallout: New Vegas; Icewind Dale; Icewind Dale 2; Interplay; Josh Sawyer; Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer is this month's guest on IGN Unfiltered, the long-form interview show hosted by IGN's Ryan McCaffrey. Feargus Urquhart was interviewed on the show last year, so this episode takes a more personal approach, with a focus on Josh's roots as a history graduate and tabletop gamer, his work on Van Buren at Interplay and Fallout: New Vegas at Obsidian, and the Kickstarting of Pillars of Eternity. There's also an interesting aside on the cancelled Aliens: Crucible, which you can read about here. Here's the full video:

Near the end of the interview, Josh says that he'd like to create a smaller, different sort of game after six years of working on the Pillars of Eternity franchise, but that first he's going to take a year off from directing projects and spend some time focusing on his duties as Obsidian's design director. Note however that the interview actually took place shortly before the release of Pillars of Eternity II, so that information might be out of date.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So gib me wisdom of the day that Josh spoke to us.

Should we put more Negro and women in games and replace men with them?
Or should we start next phase and put dickgirls in games instead of men?

Do we have enough social justice or should we add more?

Should our protagonist be invald and cripple?

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
It's primarily about Sawyer's professional biography. He talks about his work at BlackIsle, Obsidian and even Midway. He talks about differences between cRPG and tabletop RPGs. He also talks about differences between working with a big publisher and doing a kickstarter game. Questions are p. good, Sawyer's answers are adequate and interesting even if not giving too much new info. When Sawyer discusses Aliens RPG, he actually indirectly acknowledges MCA's point that there were serious problems with how the development process was organized and managed at Obsidian. At the same time, when he talks about Feargus' role, he does it with an obvious respect for the man.

And no. The progressive bullshit wasn't discussed in this interview at all. So you can skip it completely, as it is obvious that it is the only thing that truly interests you.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
OUR GOD SPEAKS! We must listen and heed his infinite wisdom. IWD3 is coming, and in preparation we must burn the infidel defilers!

frajaq

Erudite
Putting black people and women in video games is social justice now?

:philosoraptor:

Did people complain to Rockstar Games when they made CJ the protagonist of GTA: SA?

Aim1ess

Novice
Putting black people and women in video games is social justice now?

:philosoraptor:

Did people complain to Rockstar Games when they made CJ the protagonist of GTA: SA?
No, SJWs didn't exist then so SJW haters had no one to troll by being so edgy about saying nigger.

I like the bit around 13:00. I think this is probably why I like Obsidian(even the more maligned recent titles like Tyranny) over the vast majority of other RPGs. If I'm playing a premade character I just don't feel like its an RPG. I played Mass Effect, but really its an action/story/atmosphere game. New Deus Ex is Similar, and I get the same vibe with the Witcher as well. I can play a pre-made character in a game that isn't an RPG but when a game tells me that choices matter and its C&C its hard to play a premade character, even if it has real choices and well done reactivity. Its also one of the things that disappointed/frustrated me about D:OS 2 - it just didn't feel right playing one of the premades and not picking the character specific speech options. I mean the game is basically telling me "this is what this character would say/do" so at that point, why give me an option at all? The contrast between how I would develop the character and the way the character is developed in the parts here and there that I can't control is almost always jarring enough to destroy my immersion.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have grown to appreciate Sawyer, he seems more interesting and articulate than 90% of the people who work in the industry and it is quite interesting how he aknowledged to sticking to Bethesda’s Fallout 3 crowd for New Vegas while trying to cater to a more high brow demographic with his mod.

As someone said in a youtube video; Sawyer is what you would get if you dipped Howard the Toad in the Super Mutant Baths, I truly hope he gets to make another Fallout in the future or a different style of game more aimed to his interests and likings

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, that would be pretty interesting if someone asked him about that - of course in a non offensive manner, from the POV Codex see that, how it was presented in PoE - where all calculations with damage were done to make everything identical in terms of damage.
It was obvious if you was reading patch notes.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I think he doesn’t try to make the games boring but maybe in his view he is trying to make them equally fun; if each character class is equally viable to be useful maybe then they all are fun to play?
I don’t think he deliberately seeks to make things boring

FeelTheRads

Arcane
if each character class is equally viable to be useful maybe then they all are fun to play?

They don't need to be equal to be fun. *

I don’t think he deliberately seeks to make things boring

It would be pretty counterproductive to do it deliberately.

The problem is that what he thinks is fun is not actually fun.

The even bigger problem is that dismisses actual fun stuff as "degenerate" and tries to implement stupid and backwards fixes for things that don't need fixing because he assumes people just think they are having fun while they're actually not if it's not his kind of fun.

Therefore he can go fuck himself. Not interested in playing games from someone who wants to force his preferences on me, and not interested in playing games where the system controls me more than I control it.

Edit: * For example, I'll never understand what's fun about having say a small weapons and an energy weapons build be equal by Sawyer's standards. That essentially means having energy weapons equivalents for the starting small weapons so the result is that the main difference is the model of the weapon you see on screen. What the fuck is fun about that?

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
Josh for some reason looks at PoE 2 balance like he's working on a MOBA

If we can accept that at least we can wish he does it the Valve way instead of Riot Games way

NJOl2qi.png

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
As I understand he doesn’t want the game system to be “broken” by overpowered items or abilities
He doesn’t get it how half of the fun in RPGs is looking for ways not of “breaking” the game per se but certainly getting an edge like an overpowered weapon, spell or strategy
I have know people like him who view that sort of thing as “breaking the fun”

Drowed

Arcane
If I'm playing a premade character I just don't feel like its an RPG.

I don't really get this. I mean, maybe because my first contact with RPGs was tabletop games, it's not uncommon for you to have to use pre-made characters, or at least with severe limitations on backstory/race/appearance. The GM won't always have the patience to come up with miraculous explanations to fit your paladin/bard half-orc or whatever into the setting. The most common thing in my experience is that we have a general idea of the starting point of the campaign (for example, "you're all soldiers of an elite group of the kingdom X") and was our responsibility to create a story that fit the context of the adventure, and the GM obviously had the veto power. Sometimes I even got pre-made characters already planned for the adventure.

So I cannot really understand this idea that "an RPG is an RPG only when you can create your character". This was never part of the definition of tabletop RPGs, I don't see why it should be considered that way in CRPGs. Of course it's often interesting to be able to create your own character, but it is equally interesting to play characters that already have their own story and opinions. For me, those who feel the need to create their own characters aren't usually playing a character, but creating an avatar of themselves in the game and "interpreting" it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom