Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stealth Sense – While crouching, the UI element will indicate how visible you are. (“Open eyeball” is highly visible, “closed eyeball” is undetected”)

Mr. Player will hear how much noise he makes, see whether he is concealed by shadows or not, and realize by the reaction of his foes how successful his hiding attempts are. There's no need for an intrusive HUD telling the Player these things like, this isn't fucking Skyrim.

How is this much different than the light gem in Thief? :roll:

I almost never touch Alpha/Beta/whatever before a games release but I'm going to give this a try now. Very concerned about them rushing this out the door in a few months so I'm definitely curious to see if they've captured any of that Looking Glass magic.

I know I'm most likely going to be all... :negative: but I've got to see for myself.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Waiting for what did you guys think about it. Backed it myself, but not alpha level. fingers crossed.

Nyast

Cipher
Finished the alpha.

I don't really know how to describe it. Bad isn't exactly putting my finger on it. Maybe abyssmal, for a game taking place in the stygian abyss, would be a better fit.

The focus on clunky physics puzzles that have been seen and better done in decades-old games ( ex.: Half Life 2 ), instead of having a proper RPG, is very concerning.

The map design so far is completely linear and uninteresting. I'm finding almost nothing which I loved in the original Ultima Underword, is present in this alpha.

The difficulity and AI is a joke. I can litterally run around at Sonic speed around all the levels, jumping around like in Quake, killing every single enemy with 2-3 slashes of my beginner sword like I'm in god mode. I never died once. So it makes all the current "stealth" or "use puzzles against your enemies or "use magic" a gigantic waste of time, unless you're doing it for test purposes.

The game being buggy or a bit clunky is the least of its problems at the moment.

Edit: ironically, graphics, framerate or loading times were more than decent for me. I'm not too sure about the lighting though. It gets very dark in some rooms.

Last edited:

Heretic

Cipher
First footage:

Whoa, I just watched 20 minutes expecting the very worst and... I really liked what I saw. The game has atmosphere, the movement is fluid, the physics interactions look promising. There is what looks like a sizeable skill tree, too.
I didn't like the UI, it doesn't fit the art style of the game at all.

Of course the level design will be the most important and that cannot be judged from the tutorial.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes it certainly helps when the player knows what he's doing (unlike Alienware girl).

Sneaking around and sniping stuff like this guy is bound to be less janky than trying to engage in melee though.

Cross

Arcane
Stealth Sense – While crouching, the UI element will indicate how visible you are. (“Open eyeball” is highly visible, “closed eyeball” is undetected”)

Mr. Player will hear how much noise he makes, see whether he is concealed by shadows or not, and realize by the reaction of his foes how successful his hiding attempts are. There's no need for an intrusive HUD telling the Player these things like, this isn't fucking Skyrim.

How is this much different than the light gem in Thief? :roll:
The light gem in Thief doesn't tell you anything about the enemies or how much they detect you. It only informs you about Garrett's status, like a health bar or ammo indicator. You could quite easily remove the light gem from Thief, because the game already darkens/lightens the weapon Garrett is holding depending on the lighting conditions he's standing in.

Max Heap

Arcane
Just watched 20 minutes of that gameplay. Not too shabby.

Its pretty funny though, how the guy always tries to experiment, but then resorts to simple solutions, like stacking boxes instead of making them hover.

Its pretty funny though, how the guy always tries to experiment, but then resorts to simple solutions, like stacking boxes instead of making them hover.
I found myself doing the exact same thing. Let's just say object manipulation and controls in general feel a bit less responsive here than you'd want them to be if you were trying to encourage this sort of experimentation.

DeepOcean

Arcane
While I found the footage not that bad and it could be fun experimenting with stuff, I still know zero about the NPC interactions on the game, you know, the RPG side of things and it is worrying that the game will be released on three months and we didn't see any footage showing this being more than a physics puzzle game. While I have zero hopes of this being Ultima Underworld 3 at this point, I expect something at least on the scope of Arx Fatalis.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
After a few runs of various sorts across both segments I can give some impressions and feedback. Going to post this the OE forum.

Jankiness, Control and Physical Simulation

Movement feels fairly fluid and somewhat satisfying, which is not what I expected given the complaints of jank. My character feels like it has mass and inertia and it appears to me that the PC is interacting physically with the environment rather than simply moving around. I am reminded of Skate and Mirror's Edge in that they also have the PC interacting physically within the game world. With that (especially in skate for those who remember it) allows for an element of physical glitchiness for edge cases, but polished some can lead to very satisfying controls in the game. Time will tell how it pans out. For now there are instances of hangup on geometry, taking damage when going through broken doors and similar issues. After some practice, I have been doing some satisfying parkour just now and I am enouraged.

Physics are front and center and seems to have substantial influence on most things. From movement to physical or chemical interaction this is certainly a simulation IMO. I have observed and interacted with these properties that I can list so far: Speed, inertia, elasticity, rigidity/strength, kinetic resistance, friction, buoyancy, temperature, light, sound, imbue heat, imbue wetness, wear/condition. In playing it and enumerating these as I discovered them, it is clear to me that this has LGS ingredients. Very encouraging. It is neat to watch a pile of wooden stuff burn and see some of these elements take on a life of their own.

There is a real focus on fire. Fire seems very well simulated. Check... what else is coming? What other elements we will see in the game and what other properties can be interacted with within the simulation?

Atmosphere and Lighting

There were sections of the level that had great atmosphere. I liked the hallway with the wisps for a few reasons. Great use of lighting to set a mood and good artistic design IMO. The player doesn't know what is at the end of the hallway but gets an ever changing glimpse based on movement of the wisps. I initially thought the wisps would be a nuisance and a convenient way to be lazy about lighting levels, but playing it, I think they are brilliant. I extinguished all the sconces and candles in the area as far away from them as I could and the effect was great. The hall all of a sudden was very dark and felt very organic and ominous. It was neet to watch a distant wisp move around, its dim light peeling back the darkness. Very cool, more of that please. I wonder if the ever-moving darkness around the wisps can be leveraged for stealth.

I appreciate the darkness. It's great, and I am glad to see OE took seriously the request for darkness. I would go further still, but only with a couple of important changes. In UW, the character gave off a very faint glow that dimly lit the area immediately around them, as though to approximate your eyes acclimating to darkness or perhaps wearing a glowing amulet or something. Without a light source anywhere nearby, you could make out what was in your very immediate area. This is not the case in the current build and has some people saying the darkness has been taken too far. I found myself trying to carry braziers around or catching stuff on fire to create light but I really don't want the answer to that to be lightening up the baseline or scattering around yet more super conveniently placed candles.

Second, allow the player to carry a torch, taper, or refillable lantern that are spent with use, as it was in UW. These had varying light radii and longevity. Please implement.

These additions would allow for two important things to happen:

1) Seriously limit the superfluous placement of candles, sconces and braziers to areas occupied by humanoids. The Abyss didn't have convenient placement of everlasting candles, sconces or braziers and I suspect the reason they appear now would be addressed by my suggestions above. These convenient light sources are contrived and should be used sparingly. These things should appear only where humanoids would place them, tend them and rely on them.

2) Allow the team to fully leverage darkness without concern of having to strike a balance using candles, sconces and braziers, or making the game lighter by default. Menu brightness adjustment I don't see as an answer really if it is gamma. The realtime lighting looks quite good IMO, so let the player make light while contending with the darkness.

There was one rather well lit room and I was a little relieved to visit it, which is an indication that you are on the right path.

Sound

Some good 3d placement of sounds and I have discovered differing environmental effects depending on where you are and the geometry of the immediate area. Muffling, echo, etc. Nice. Hopefully that translates to floor and wall makeup etc. moving forward. There are some instances of a skeleton sound is poorly placed or mixed, being too loud or giving the impression of being very close by but being off in the distance.

Sconces are too loud and their sound does not fade appropriately. Quieter default level would be good.

Some sounds seem scripted, such as a skeleton sighing when you enter an area. This is fine but it sounds like it is right next to you. This should be addressed.

Howling wind sounds are nicely done. A little more subtlety and alignment with local level geometry would be nice. Silence other than minimal, coherent environmentals can be plenty atmospheric.

I love the sound work on the opening of Balin's book in LOTR: https://youtu.be/0HPeNPOOamw?t=1m10s

Combat & Magic

Melee and Archery combat is woefully easy at this point. Skeletons do not pose any real threat at this point. They move too slowly and are easy to dispatch with a few blows at most. One section suggests a stealth approach to get around one skeleton. The challenge may be to go undetected, but that only has meaning if being detected carries consequences. Enemies should be made much deadlier. They need to be faster and tougher. Two skeletons at once should be trouble.

On the positive, hitting the skeletons results in expected animations. Hit one after they miss, in the direction they missed, and they swing wildly in that direction. It seems to me that my sword interacts with them physically, which suggests to me that there is potential to ratchet things up to good effect. This needs attention.

Arrows don't seem to use ballistics at this point, or ft/s needs to be lowered to the player has to mentally calculate and adjust for trajectory, different bows have different ballistic characteristics, wear can influence, etc. Will this be implemented?

Magic effects seem nice and the spells implemented seem to work pretty predictably and interestingly, but need to see more spells. I think the use of wands with rune slots as shown here will be a good trade-off between swapping out runes for one spell at a time. The player can find or earn wands. I like it, so long as runic magic is also present and reminiscent of the system in UW.

UI

I hope this UI approach is placeholder. I'm not sure so I am going to present arguments why this UI should be replaced by classic UW UI elements.

In UW, if you want to switch weapons you have to bring up your inventory/paperdoll to swap it out, which while under threat creates tension. This is an opportunity that shouldn't be squandered.

The UW paperdoll and inventory were just about perfect. Will se see this? Are there art budget problems in doing so? An actual appearance of a backpack with representative icons is a huge loss IMO. U9 style inventory would be ideal.

The map in this alpha pales in comparison to UW automap. Can we get some feedback on what the map will be?

Are health and mana regeneration simulated as they were in UW?

Dialog, Trading, NPC interaction, Journal etc.

We have seen literally nothing on these facets and the game releases next quarter according to the current timeline. We need to see these.

Last edited:

Zakhad

Savant
This sounds better than the previews made it out to be, but still a very limited slice with far too little variety. I assume more will come in the beta... but are they really going from alpha to beta to full release in three months? Methinks not.

Nyast

Cipher
Just watched 20 minutes of that gameplay. Not too shabby.

It's far worse than that. I assume you refer to the "puzzle" where he stacked boxes to cross a small chasm on the staircase.

He spent 5 minutes trying to figure out a solution with magic, gave up, then resorted to stacking boxes.

You don't need to do ANY of that stuff. Just run and jump. Easy. Done.

Rest of the alpha was the same for me. No point in putting doors on fire when every single one of them can be cut down with your basic sword.

I certainly hope this alpha is not representative of the rest of the game, or the other levels.

Curratum

Of course it will be. They are not making a good game, much less a good RPG, they are making a casual sandbox where you can play around with their dumb physics and fire effects, but it's in the UNDERWOOOORLD.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It could end in being a total miss as an Underworld. If so it will be a sad day. They did mention being open to mods...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=2008.msg27790#msg27790

Just to confirm:

- Loot is currently randomized in all chests. It's always a surprise! However, there will be different "tiers" of chests that can offer higher grade loot. That is, if you can find those...
- Torches! Yes, we have been meaning to put in a portable light source... even if it's making one using door shards and holding it aloft for a little bit. The current player torch tends to put too much "smoke" in front of you, so we're tuning that down.
- Speaking of fire, we're working on allowing fragments of wood to be flammable.
- Combat is something we've been tuning for awhile now, and will only continue to get better! The Tier1 skeletons will most likely remain the most simple in terms of AI, but the behaviors of the Outcasts and Lizard Men usually force me to switch up the pacing of my gameplay so I can avoid them.
- Conveying the narrative and more world-building in the level design and quest loop is the next highest priority! We're organizing strike teams here in the office to make sure we're effectively maximizing our resources and making sure the world is cohesive. We appreciate your patience, and are open to ideas you may have!

As a side note, our Lead Engineer Will is going to stream a playthrough of the Backer Alpha on our Twitch at 3pm ET today. We invite you to join us, ask questions, and maybe take a sneak peek at any secrets you may have missed...

Sinatar

Arbiter
Loot is currently randomized in all chests. It's always a surprise! However, there will be different "tiers" of chests that can offer higher grade loot. That is, if you can find those...

8974647397_023ac69dc8_o.gif

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This whole endeavor has been a disaster for everyone involved. Congrats for pissing on the memory of Looking Glass, guys.

ciox

Liturgist
Loot is currently randomized in all chests. It's always a surprise! However, there will be different "tiers" of chests that can offer higher grade loot. That is, if you can find those...

8974647397_023ac69dc8_o.gif

We'll see how the loot situation pans out, for now that GIF is how I feel about hearing Stephen Russel droning boring-ass tutorial text at the player.

Cross

Arcane
MMO-like loot scaling, just the radical evolution immersive sims needed!

Big Wrangle

Does that mean we'll get Underworld Ascendant Meteorcrash roguelike DLC later down the line? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom