Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Give me turn-based RPGs or give me death

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I don't understand why everyone doesn't make turn based RPGs? Divinity OS2 is the most popular TBRPG ever but not many people try to recreate it? Why are they making other stuff when it's been proven that games like Divnity OS2 sell the most copies? If your game doesn't have a deep tactical combat, a wide range of party members to recruit, choice & consequence and thought-provoking challenges over and over again, I won't greenlight it. Sorry for the rant I just had to put this out there

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are a ton of turn-based games being made these days, maybe you need to pay more attention.

Farewell into the night

Yes, there are many, but I'll start with the
Temple of Elemental Evil from

Fargus

Arcane
Turn based doesnt make shit game less shit.

If your game doesn't have a deep tactical combat, a wide range of party members to recruit, choice & consequence and thought-provoking challenges over and over again, I won't greenlight it

Well good luck finding a game that fits this description. Let alone turn based one.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Divinity OS games are cartoonish garbage, and I'm sure plenty of devs will eventually copy the formula. Instead play AoD, Underrail or a good roguelike for a decent RPG experience from the last ten years (this is not an exhaustive list).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Stuff like The Banner Saga or Blackguards popped up when neo X-COM popularized turn based combat among the masses. Might want to look at them, though they aren't exactly RPGs.
Expeditions: Viking and Expeditions: Conquistador are also pretty good turn based grid games, with extra management for the party. They come recommended.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Stuff like The Banner Saga or Blackguards popped up when neo X-COM popularized turn based combat among the masses. Might want to look at them, though they aren't exactly RPGs.
Expeditions: Viking and Expeditions: Conquistador are also pretty good turn based grid games, with extra management for the party. They come recommended.

I took a look at Expeditions: Viking trailer and I was blown away, I think I've found a new RPG to play and my life has meaning again. Thankyou kind sir

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why are they making other stuff when it's been proven that games like Divnity OS2 sell the most copies?
DOS2 doesn't sell the most copies though. Witcher 3 sells the most copies. That's the type of game everyone is gonna take notes from in the forseeable future.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Looks nice but I wouldn't buy because I think RPGs are best confined to the fantasy setting à la tolkein
If you're open to actual strategy RPGs, there's Battle for Wesnoth which is free so you can just try it to see if you like it

tenor.gif

Please tell me there's a zoom function

Having the ability to strategise your group in a huge sea of units and make every single action count, overcoming vast odds and using clever tactics one after another to methodically win. That's a pretty amazing scenario to be a part of and only possible in turn based.

But it also won't ever truly feel like a war. It's not chaotic, it's not overwhelming and stressful and it doesn't force you to act under pressure and see how your actions lead to a butterfly effect in the greater scheme of that battle. That's an amazing thing only really possible in real time.

RTWP is the unholy mixture of the two, sometimes too chaotic and not strategic enough, sometimes too slow and tedious to feel exciting, and almost never as fun as either of the above.

It's no surprise at all why turn based is preferred here and it's also no surprise why RTWP is what most devs "settle" on, because they usually want to appease everyone and don't have a clear direction of what they want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom