Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which specific changes to BG2 would you make for (an imaginary) BG3 ?

CRPG Fanatic 101

Literate
Narrow down your BG2 criticisms to a few specific ones you see as major flaws which if fixed would make for a much better TRUE rpg experience.

For me, it's these ones :

1) I like all the character design aspects/options of early D&D except for when leveling up. Mostly, the level up screen says "accept" with no option for tweaking. Sometimes you get to tweak your character a tiny bit, but not much - you just click on the 'accept' icon and it does a sort of auto-level-up. Very railroaded, and lacking freedom of creative choice.

2) Sometimes the dialogue has misleading alternatives - you click on 1, 2 or 3 and the consequential response is the same for all. Very railroaded and lacking freedom of choice.

3) Too many wandering trash monster mobs - 50% less would be nice.

4) Too much loot, espeically regarding those stock/mundane items. 80% less would be nice.

Let's try to keep in mind that D&D and BG2 are intentionally unrealistic, over the top, arbitrary high fantasy epic attempts at escapism, so maybe realstic/simulationist suggestions (like those wanting our known laws of physics to be incorporated) should be considered as more appropriate for a low fantasy, minimalist type of rpg.

deama

Prophet
A true BG3 for me would be the MC continueing his journey to becoming the ultimate God (or something like that), so probably add in some RTS stuff? I mean, how else you gonna control armies and wage war against other gods?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Make zero romances but in the final five minutes of the game you are forced to partake in a 120 Days of Sodom fuck festival for the ages.

It also needs to have loot boxes that has a lot of c0smet1cz so people born in 1999 can defend the practice by saying how it's not P2W and it's ethical.

Dux

Arcane
A skeleton that you find in a ditch somewhere and animate, or something. Or within a dank tomb. Non-linear storytelling with turn-based low level combat, bolstered by a skeletal companion that will literally liquefy the eyes of his enemies - because he is magical.

That would be potatoes and gravy, man, potatoes and gravy.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Remove the battle taunts. Hearing Jaheira yell "for the fallen" got grating pretty fast.

Make the combat turn-based. RTwP doesn't cut it.

Improve the writing and dialogue.

Get a better composer. The ost in both BG games is forgettable.

Dorateen

Arcane
Let's ditch the whole Child of Bhaal personal story invented to maximize the player's emotional engagement, and have a proper adventuring party with multiple character generation.

And of course, make combat turn-based.

CRPG Fanatic 101

Literate
Ok, so you folks are like me - grumpy because the recent crpg revival wasn't all that great (shallow, superficial attempts at past glory) and the old games are far too archaic with ugly sights & sounds and junky GUI's.

So let's indulge the fantasy of a near perfect rpg : BG3 = BG2 on hardcore crpg steroids. No more juvenile romances would facilitate this. But imo the inter-party banter as it pertains to battlefield glory and alignment conflicts should remain.

This is all imaginative fantasy because the reality has not sufficed for true crpg fanatics.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
There was alot of things that pissed me off in BG2 but as a whole I still enjoyed the game. I just find it extremely overrated.

For starters not have completely retarded companions.

Not have completely retarded dialogue

Not have a completely retarded villiian with an even more retarded motivation

Not have 40 hours of shitty filler content after 20-25 hours of good content

Still the games pretty good, but as I said. Overrated.

Neanderthal

Arcane
the old games are far too archaic with ugly sights & sounds and junky GUI's.

No.
BG UI is fucking atrocious

There's a lot bloody worse, and from a lot newer games.

BG isn't really that old either.
Being worse than atrocious doesn't make atrocious good.

No it doesn't, but worse than atrocious shouldn't replace atrocious just because it's new.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Telltale interactive movie, Vin Diesel voices and mocaps Minsc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom