Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no idea why you keep repeating that, I did indeed play it. I didn't finish it, but I played it.
And I don't know what and how much you played, but even if we ignore its signature main plot quests, no game can match this level internal consistency in its worldbuilding and the multi layered characters.

What did you find so edgy about the dialogue? I'd argue some quests could be considered edgier, but I don't remember any character being overly so.

:what::killitwithfire:
GTAV's plot revolves around the three main characters, and each of them is very well-developed in terms of motivation, mentality, personal drives, is characterized by his language, perfectly voiced and animated. It's more advanced in this respect than all previous GTAs. The amount of work that went into making the world looking and sounding as believeable as it does is unmatched in gaming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/21176/cyberpunk-2077-e3-2018-trailer-frame-by-frame-ep01

Cyberpunk 2077 E3 2018 Trailer Frame by Frame EP01

Welcome to 2077.

Night City holds just as many stories as it does citizens, and almost every scene in the E3 2018 trailer tells a story of its own. The E3 2018 trailer is a result of hard work of the entire development team at CD PROJEKT RED and is based on concept art done over the years. Every scene is rendered in-engine and offers a great glimpse into the lives of people in Night City.

vlcsnap-2018-06-19-10h24m39s99.png

Night City is an independent megacity in the Free State of California, run by corporations. While geographically still in the territory of United States of America, it falls completely outside of California and the US law. Over the years, it’s been fractured by corporation conflicts and gang wars. Those caught in-between, desperately try to survive, as riots and violence take over the city.

The city itself is a monument of humanity. It was supposed to be the best city in the world, built from the ground up. The technology didn’t truly solve problems despite its heavy development. Instead, it created more.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/21254/cyberpunk-2077-e3-2018-trailer-frame-by-frame-ep02

Cyberpunk 2077 E3 2018 Trailer Frame by Frame EP02

In 2077, society is vastly dependent on drones and robotics. From simple camera drones, able to both record and transmit live feed, to big clunky creatures, warehouse machinery and training bots. It’s not unusual for people to see huge automated trash collectors or robots sweeping the streets. Either mass produced by corporations or put together from stolen trashed pieces of tech, robotics serve a huge role in both economics sectors and are an everyday addition to the life of people in Night City.

vlcsnap-2018-06-21-09h55m38s181.png

Most of the public transportation services are handled by automated vehicles, whether it’s trains, subways or buses. These vehicles are entities in their own right, able to communicate with each other to make adjustments and correct their behavior accordingly.

Quillon

Arcane
whether it’s trains, subways or buses. These vehicles are entities in their own right, able to communicate with each other to make adjustments and correct their behavior accordingly.

Those crazy trains man! Thankfully in the future if one tries an overtaking maneuver the other trains will warn it, noice.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
So, can I find a job, spend the next 40 years working daily job and travelling through subways, eventually buy my own flying car and becoming the board members of the corporations, so that I can kill everyone of them during the board meetings?

Quillon

Arcane
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/21398/cyberpunk-2077-e3-2018-trailer-frame-by-frame-ep03

Cyberpunk 2077 E3 2018 Trailer Frame by Frame EP03
vlcsnap-2018-06-21-09h53m37s206.png

In Night City, people want to dream big. The rat race is never over. The verticality of the city represents the social ladder. People at the bottom are literally living on the streets. They look up to those inside high buildings, as they look at the common folk from above. The city dictates the rules. It creates dreams and fuels people’s aspirations. They are fed advertisement, they can peek into lives of those more fortunate and are always pushed towards the, often unattainable, dream of fame and luxury.

vlcsnap-2018-06-25-10h05m24s89.png

The social ladder concept can be seen in every aspect of life in Night City. The less fortunate folks, albeit with a less-than-ideal quality of life, still have access to technology thanks to charity shops, which hand out tech to the poor. Old computers are also fairly easy to get a hold of. This is crucial to the overexposure of advertisement and jump-starting people’s dreams, which ultimately keeps them within the borders of Night City — in the trailer, we see exclusive fashion brands using holographic female models to show off their product line.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Other good videos about the setting talking also about empathy and cyber psichosis

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
GTAV's plot revolves around the three main characters, and each of them is very well-developed in terms of motivation, mentality, personal drives, is characterized by his language, perfectly voiced and animated. It's more advanced in this respect than all previous GTAs. The amount of work that went into making the world looking and sounding as believeable as it does is unmatched in gaming.

Yeah, I didn't really like Trevor too much and found him an exaggerated parody of violently ill people, but the other two were amazingly well written and the game overall is unparalleled in production values in general. Not really surprising considering how well that series sells and what 2k can pump into it. I hope Red Dead 2 really is coming to PC.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They all border on the parody, and the world itself is most of the time well inside parody territory, the less plot-relevant a character or part of the world, the more parody it gets. But this is carefully measured and it's a design decision, deliberately made. What is the important thing for me is that characters are actually *characters*, with their own ways of reasoning, speaking, acting. There are big games, with big budgets but mediocre writing where characters are shallow and the "message" they are trying to get across is simplistic and overtly delivered. I recently watched some 5 hours of Detroit Become Human, just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was hardly sufferable towards at the time I dropped it, simply because of the weak script (still it may get better going onward).

Offtopic, but I'll be very surprised if RDR2 doesn't come out for PC, simply because of the online players' revenue. Ironically, we may get a good single player game thanks to the children and dupes who are spending on microtransactions.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Oh I know GTA is satire and parody all the way to the bank, something about Trevor just annoyed me personally.

Dexter

Arcane
VICE WayPoint's Patrick Klepek on the most important issue plaguing Cyberpunk 2077: http://archive.is/nbsJS
CD Projekt RED Won't Commit to Gender Fluidity in ‘Cyberpunk 2077’ (Yet)
The studio told Waypoint it’s “something we’ve looked at” for the character creator.

Patrick Klepek
Jun 26 2018, 8:28pm
1530037408865-42838803102_737a43049d_k.jpeg

Image courtesy of CD Projekt RED

As you’ve no doubt heard from a million others, CD Projekt RED’s Cyberpunk 2077 demo, so far unreleased to the public, was an E3 highlight. During that demo, the studio only briefly lingered on the character creator screen, noting it was unfinished. But as I tried to take in as much as possible, one thing stood out: the gender options were limited to men and women.

Cyberpunk 2077 is based on the long running tabletop game Cyberpunk, and one version of the game has a sketchy history when it comes to gender. If you decide to undergo a “sex-change,” as the game puts it, you’ll lose part of your “humanity,” a stat that, if driven down enough, results in “cyberpsychosis,” where you lose control of the character and the Game Master takes over.

Given how much CD Projekt RED is playing up the amount of choice players will have in Cyberpunk 2077, it’d seem a little out of place for their game to overlook gender fluidity. Waypoint had a chance to speak with Cyberpunk 2077 quest designer Patrick Mills for a few minutes at E3 about a variety of subjects, including the character creator’s limited options.

“It’s too early to say,” he said, “but it’s definitely something that we’ve looked at.”

Not a yes, but also not a no?

The notion of gender fluidity in Cyberpunk 2077 has been kicked around as long as the game’s been in development. It doesn’t take long to find threads with fans speculating about what CD Projekt RED might do, given Cyberpunk itself doesn’t provide an explicit roadmap.

Murmuring among skeptical fans ranges from unsurprising bigotry (“That type of shit has no place in a game like this. We dont need our fav game and possibly the game of the decade plagued by gender politics like we already suffer from in real life.”) to your typical strawman arguments about how “the list of genders if long/theoretically endless,” thus it's an impossible problem to solve.

Though Mills wasn’t able to elaborate on where CD Projekt RED will land on the issue, any movement they make in the direction of embracing non-binary gender pronouns is likely to cause a ripple of controversy, however unwarranted. Harebrained Schemes’ quiet inclusion of the option to create a character in BattleTech with they/them pronouns elicited a reaction, and BattleTech is a game with a fraction of the attention Cyberpunk 2077 will soon garner.

That’s precisely the reason it’d be socially important for Cyberpunk 2077 to give players more options. The more often games embrace pronoun variety, the less it seems like an outrageous political stance, emboldening gaming culture’s worst actors. It becomes normal.

“Personally, as a gender-fluid pansexual,” wrote one user on reddit, as part of an eventually locked thread discussing this very issue, “this is a hugely important topic and selling point for me. I do hope they think about incorporating this into the game not just for realism but in order to prove they are a truly progressive company who want to move with the times.”

Wesp5

Arcane
An easy way to handle the gender issues would be moving them into the backgrounds that they already announced. Like you are male on the outside, but were born a female, etc...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-pre-alpha

Cyberpunk 2077 is (probably) in pre-alpha - but that doesn't mean it's ages away

cyberpunk%20cop.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077 is "earlier" than alpha, according to CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński. Asked by Polish media site Bankier whether the game's E3 demo was in alpha, Kiciński says (via the vagaries of Google Translate): "No, earlier." He adds that the E3 demo was "the most polished part of the game we have now."

There's a Reddit thread which has concluded from this that the game is in pre-alpha, which isn't necessarily so - 'earlier than alpha' and 'pre-alpha' are not the same thing, though this may be a nuance that's been lost in Google's translation from the Polish.

If the game is indeed in pre-alpha, it isn't necessarily discouraging - exact definitions of pre-alpha, alpha, and beta phases vary widely. Yes, early access games or those that evolve in line with player feedback can stay in public alpha and beta for ages - look at DayZ, or H1Z1 - but for old-school triple-A devs like CD Projekt Red, pre-alpha can be relatively advanced in development.

As one Redditor points out, 'pre-alpha' is a phase of post-production. This means the core chunks of the game that would be built in main production - the story, the setting, pretty much all the key systems and features - are likely finished, and CDPR are working on ancillary features, side quests, and lots of lots of testing and polishing.

This is all somewhat speculative, and even if it's accurate Cyberpunk will probably be so big that this phase will take a while. But still, Kiciński tells Bankier that 350 people are working on Cyberpunk full time, and CDPR have started hiring multiplayer devs despite confirming that the game will not have multiplayer at launch, indicating they're already looking at post-launch support.

Honestly, there's a way to view this news that's pretty encouraging, and it all adds to my argument for why Cyberpunk 2077 will release in 2019 - check it out if you fancy having your hopes shamelessly raised. For a little cold water, here's Matt's take on the E3 demo:

Despite Matt's scepticism I'm still betting on holiday 2019, or maybe spring 2020 - which would admittedly be pretty thematic, since the original edition of the tabletop game was Cyberpunk 2020.

For less speculative information on the likeliest Cyberpunk 2077 release date, here's everything we know for sure on the subject, along with all the latest news of its setting, possible multiplayer, and more.

Last edited:

Taskityo

Educated

With how far they went in localizing The Witcher games in other countries, this actually seems like a step back for Projekt. The NoClip mini-doc on that is pretty good. That author seems to be talking about Hollywood-ish tropes, and frankly Hollywood produces enough film 'decline' that I'd rather not see it reproduced in Cyberpunk where Projekt normally just gets how language is used. Judging from that impression its like a kid (Projekt) researching 'ese' and 'hombre' from a google search.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom