Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

kris

Arcane

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Eh, I really been off their forums long. I would never expect this back when I was a regular member. i am guessing saying something negative about that is insta-perma-ban.

Yeaaaah, I think it's high time Paradox moves away its court from Sweden cause it has been ravaged by Decadence plague for far too long.

Honestly, can't wait for secret Sunni and Shia cults to reveil themselves. At least for them Decadence is penalty haram so they try to avoid it.

MPbZgcg.jpg

pEDvAZ4.jpg

EbOE9Jq.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It feel kind of off putting that you can just lego yourself a religion. Also having only two doctrines seems idiotic at best. This seems like a true decline,i want to cut infidels not to choose between having many wifes or being a peaceful bloodthirsty prophet. Also i noticed that a lot of those shit seems contradictory. Oh why the fuck those ignorant dipshits see Buddhism as peaceful religion?! In first place it is not a religion and they were pretty savage back in the days. A lot people have died fighting for different sects of Buddhism. Oh well,expecting an sjw swede to know anything outside of its echo chamber is my fault.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That just takes the challenge away from the Zorro challenge of having you be your heir's father, grandfather, AND great-grandfather.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Greetings.

index.php

Well, well, well, looks like this is where the fat chin meme comes to die.

Today I will be talking about one of the free several patch additions coming alongside Holy Fury, namely character shape.
With our next expansion, rather than being a random genetic component, this visual effect will be turned into a dynamic feature.
The game now will keep track of your character’s lifestyle and either increase or reduce his weight accordingly. Going above a certain threshold will result in your character gaining the Fat trait, alongside the appropriate visual, while going below a certain threshold will result in your character gaining the Malnourished trait, alongside a new emaciated look.

index.php

While there are certain events that can result in immediate gain or loss of weight, characters will progress from one state to the other primarily depending on their conditions and lifestyle. Traits, Focus, Society membership and health can all affect a character’s state. Some factors, such as being Gluttonous, will increase a character’s weight, others, such as belonging to a Monastic Order, will reduce it, and others still, such as leading an army during wartime, will keep it balanced.

New events have been added to give flavor to this new mechanic, allowing players the opportunity to change their habits or offer advice to their friends and relatives’ lifestyle. Some old events have also been updated to use new effects and make the mechanic feel fully integrated to the rest of the game.

And that should be about it.

uODUg6z.jpg

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I agree with the things you want except for the Carolingian pre-feudal government. The Charlemagne start was a cluster fuck of a mistake and should never have been implemented. I just don't think it's worth trying to salvage.

Vaarna_Aarne

Imperial does let you have vicedukes too.

And IMO if there's anything that should take priority, it wouldn't be the feudal mode of character/government relations but reworking how units and combat work from the ground up. The levy system is a gigantic pain in the ass which ultimately porridges down the units to such a degree it's mostly about the numbers, while retinues are subject to frankly absurd meta based around specific unit ratios to trigger super tactics. Even just making the units work like in EU (heck, even if there would be only a single type of unit and not two; the current number of units is an example of bad complexity because most of the time they just exist for the sake of existing) would be preferable, but the second important detail would be ditching the "fight in same province" approach because it just doesn't work at all and switching to a HoI style attack bordering province system to at least have some basic tactical element instead of almost purely a matter of army numbers in relation to mountains or river and commander skill difference.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Cool, you can get fat or skinny. Great. Now how about ending these constantly occurring situations where clergymen manage to get elected as kings or emperors, creating unassailable Kaiser-Cardinal theocracies (I don't think anyone can revolt against them except peasants)? Any of you guys getting this? The game is still fun after all these years but so many retarded things have been introduced over time (unintentionally, I assume) that fixing it all would take a massive patch all by itself.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
DD Duels and events
Greetings!

Dev Diary #100, and we have a bunch of fun things to talk about!

DUELS
As we have mentioned before, duels have been reworked during this development cycle, along with some other systems that tie into it. First off, Personal Combat Ratings now more commonly range between something like 1-100, and traits and other modifiers have been rebalanced to accommodate for this system overhaul. Naturally, being sick or bedridden can drop that number down far below zero, and if you have been Severely Injured, you should probably rest up before you accept a new fight. There are also degrees of injury when you fight, so you don’t always end up losing limbs left and right… Instead, you might be allowed to walk away with a temporary modifier, such as a Swollen Ankle, or a Black Eye.

index.php

Our hope is that dueling another character will be something you remember. Of course, the result of a duel is determined by your Personal Combat Rating, but other factors, such as your current mood (is your character Stressed or Depressed?), or your personal relationship to your target (is this your rival, or someone you’re attracted to?) are also part of the evaluation. Players who enjoy intrigue will also find that it is not only pure Martial characters who can be successful in one-on-one combat. Be aware, however, that such attacks can be safeguarded against, depending on the Intrigue of your target, or if they have a sympathetic Spymaster who is more competent a schemer than you.

When it comes to the text, we have, in addition to triggered descriptions, used a lot of dynamically generated sentences. This in order to, among other things, highlight the terrain you’re fighting in, or making sure that, as you strike your enemy down, your equipped weapon can be referred to by name (and that it uses the correct type of attack when you do - eg: blunt weapons do not generally “cut/slice/slash” at the enemy).

Once these new and fanciful duels began to make it into the game, we quickly realized that we wanted them to occur in battles too. Bringing me to our next point: battle events.

index.php

BATTLE EVENTS
All the original vanilla events that fire from being in a battle (from the on_combat_pulse) have been replaced. Leading troops should be fun. And it should be varied, and not always end up with a hit on the head, leaving you Incapable for 40 years while your clueless regent runs amok at court. That does not mean we have removed risk from the equation, but one major change is that you should now have some choice in how you tackle events on the battlefield. If you want, you can accept certain injury, but quite often, if you’re feeling bold, you will be able to charge after the enemy commander, for a battlefield duel. Which events you end up getting is also going to vary, depending on how much soldier material you’re made of. Not all enemies are going to be climbing up the nearest tree when they see you, and if you don’t own any artifacts, you can’t throw them away to distract your greedy enemy… And only a cat owner can find their kitten curled up, hiding in their saddlebags.

index.php

As a liege, you will as usual be alerted to certain events on the battlefield, except you will now get a little bit more insight into how the character met their end:

index.php

SCARS AND TATTOOS
All of these events will be accompanied by several new portrait-related upgrades.

First of all, the Scarred trait and its visuals have been completely overhauled: the original Scarred trait is now only the first in a three-tiered system. Whenever a character is injured during a duel or battle, a hidden scar-variable will increase, which, past a certain threshold will allow them to proceed from Scarred, to Grievously Scarred and, finally, to Horrifically Scarred, with each trait granting different perks and different visuals.

Additionally, rather than having the portrait effect result in one scar, picked from a pool of three, we made it so that when a character receives their first scar, it is tied to one out of ten different scar types, determined by a random hidden trait, and it is along this hidden path that the scarring progresses. Each kind has its own evolution when moving to the next stage of scarring, making sure to significantly reduce the chance of two scarred characters sporting the same visual effect on their portrait.

index.php

Aside from this new system, in order to make portraits even more varied and dynamic, several new temporary (and permanent) visual effects have been added, including visuals for minor injuries, like a Black Eye or Concussion, but also Harelip (the trait), and freckles (from a hidden inheritable trait available to certain graphical cultures only). Some characters might even come with blood splatter on them, signalling a recent duel or battlefield event.

index.php

Finally, some Warrior Lodge Powers and religions now grant access to warpaint and tattoo effects. The main difference between the two in gameplay terms is that warpaint is temporary, while tattoos are permanent. While they come in different shapes and color, they are mainly tied to the religion (or Warrior Lodge) of the character.

index.php

To be clear: most of the new battle events are in in the free patch (along with battlefield duels), as old events have been removed. There is a batch of new ones that tie into the new Warrior Lodge society type and are thus Holy Fury exclusive, but the Personal Combat Rating rebalance (along with updates to old events that make use of any type of duel) is going to be available without the DLC. The decision to Duel a character when you right-click them will remain accessible via the Way of Life DLC, or through being a Warrior Lodge member, using Holy Fury.

All in all, we hope you will send your ruler into battle more often and that you will have more memorable encounters with your enemies when you do so. Here are some of our favorites:
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Thank you for reading. :)
i have to say that among all Paradox games Crusader Kings II delivers most useful content for its DLC and actually improves gameplay, instead of fucking it up, like EUIV

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
EU4 is a borefest that is impossible to fix without complete overhaul of the most basic concepts of the game. EU4 and Stellaris are probably the last games of its kind. CK2 showed that character-based gameplay is the way to go.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EU4 and Stellaris are probably the last games of its kind. CK2 The Sims: Medieval Edition & Groom Your Patriarch DLC showed that character-based gameplay is the way to go.
FTFY.

I mean, come on... what's the deal with this?
I want to play a nation, enact policies, raise armies, beat other nations with religion/economy/warfare/whatever I like, paint the map, rake in sweet cash.
What I don't want to deal with is the infertility of my ruler, the fear of mice of my offspring, the incestuous tendencies of my twenty-nine uncles, the teenage angst of my advisors, a portal to hell that I push stones into to close it (WTF?!) and having to "gib cash every X years" to keep everyone's mum happy. Oh, and also kill every single child except one in order not to have my country get cut in half - and then reload if that one child dies to a chicken crossing the road.
I want to rule a nation, not babysit its drama queens.

I'd gladly return to CK2 if there was a mod removing all that character babysitting - I'm not against having many characters around to determine success or failure, I'm against having to deal with their uninteresting life events.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

The most important thing to take away from that DD is that now there's even more kitty murder in CK2. This is an outrage!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom