Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I wonder sometimes if indies game producers have sometimes a sort of unwritten rule they follow: We must not use textures in our games.

Almost as if AAA studios employed tens or hundreds of people to make assets, because it's a ton of work and takes a long time.
IDK, being realistic about what two people can do and using all the tricks you can to your advantage is somehow bad probably.

I have completely no feel for where this game is going, it is as though it is floating here and there. But I love the new art style.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought about the change. Maybe they are trying to find a visual style that will work for both Copper Dreams and the SitS expac.
mystery.png

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think it's brave but also a good idea to change the art style if it means the game will play well. It would be worse if they persisted with the previous art and pushed out a substandard game which was causing more problems for them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think it's brave but also a good idea to change the art style if it means the game will play well. It would be worse if they persisted with the previous art and pushed out a substandard game which was causing more problems for them.
I agree. Their first game definitely suffered because of low res pixel art.
The menus, text and UI were all a real pain to use.

My concern at the moment with the new style is how readable and identifiable things will be.
Its probably just a case of lack of highlights i suppose.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Like others have said, I'd really like to see more, preferably a video, but man, did I like the old style way more :(

Master

Arbiter
I still say new style should be an augmented "i never asked for this" vision, only availabe if you go that route. Since they already have all these styles why not. They should also add thermal vision and infrared.

grimace

Arcane
Reminder

Auteurism is a theory originally of filmmaking that holds that a film reflects the director's personal creative vision. It arose in France during the late 1940s as an outgrowth of the cinematic theories of André Bazin and Alexandre Astruc—dubbed "auteur theory" by American film critic Andrew Sarris. Auteurism has since been applied to producers of popular music, as well as directors of video games.

and

Auteur Theory is a way of looking at films that state that the director is the “author” of a film. The Auteur theory argues that a film is a reflection of the director’s artistic vision; so, a movie directed by a given filmmaker will have recognizable, recurring themes and visual queues that inform the audience who the director is (think a Hitchcock or Tarantino film) and shows a consistent artistic identity throughout that director’s filmography.

The creator of the game is the "author" and sole creative director of the game.

Everyone can be a critic and write a review. Not everyone can craft a masterful interactive experience, a virtual world, a computer role playing game.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Just checked an older update (June 2017) where the game resembles... Borderlands?
Will just have to wait and see what this game ends of being, visually.
As long as the RPG/Horror/Cyberpunk/TB elements are kept,we should be fine.

684a82a6a7f023164028d56eaadc1d75_original.png

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I'm glad I did that preload a while back! :) Gotta be prepared for the drop.

(sorry, that's mean. I'm just hyped and worried at the same time)

Thonius

Arcane
Slap on cell shader - new art! (borderlands one did it too)

Anyhow I dig it. They need to add noise and shit to add details, otherwise it looks too plain and simple.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Any game that does even a half-way decent job of capturing the aesthetics of Incal or just about any other of Jean Giraud's acid-fantasy or surreal sci-fi is incline in my book.

Will the game be any better for it? Who the fuck knows, but I'll bet it sells a bit more just by being different enough to be eye-catching and popping off of the "page" on Steam or GOG. Hopefully it all comes together.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

Nice, the human arms are shaped rather strangely though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom