Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Free Stars: Children of Infinity - upcoming Star Control 2 sequel from Fred Ford's Pistol Shrimp Games

Cael

Arcane
I believe they do own the rights to the original games. The way Wardell is portraying the issue on Twitter now is dishonest IMO.
And yet you call me retarded for pointing out exactly that. You are one biased sack of shit, Shillarytron.

mastroego

Arcane
Shady crowd-funding with sob-stories for legal expenses in a litigation about money between millionaires has to be a novelty.
If one needed more proof that Stardock was right all along, this has to be it.

Alex

Arcane
From reading all this, I am inclined to believe in Wardell more than I am inclined to believe the guys from Toys for Bob. But at the same time, I do think this drama isn't really helping. It is hard to know who is in the right without having all the facts (such as the contracts they signed, and we probably would have trouble interpreting those even if we had them). Which makes me think that airing everything about the case might not be a good idea. No matter how well the correct party (if any) state its case, most people who aren't committed to either side won't come out convinced of what happened. And that being so, the case will only result in dragging the good name of those involved through the mud.

In Bard Wardell's case, I think this is even worse, since the rights he obtained are really only good in drawing attention from the fans of the series. The same fans that are more liable to side with those who createeddesigned the game than those who bought the rights to it. Perhaps, even being (if he is) in the right, Stardock would have been better off simply separating the game from the IP and selling their game as an spiritual sequel.

By the way, what is the status of the old games? Did the rights of those really go to Toys for Bob, or are they still arguing? If they are arguing, what is the point of contention exactly?

Deathsquid

Learned
Leftard style circle jerk. Politics of envy. Projection. And more. There isn't a box the idiots didn't tick in their "we are the underdogs" whining. Fuck Wardell and his fanbois. I hope they lose everything.
Wow friend you are really winning hearts here. It's like in your hatred of EVIL INTERNET BULLIES you suddenly became an even bigger internet bully that's wishing ill to average people that have fuck-all to do with a battle of three autistic millionaires. You should really try the SJW camp, I hear they like to anti-bully people out of their livelihoods.

Also, regarding "leftie this and leftie that", did you maybe forget that time when the SJW brigades came to Wardell for comments for an ex-employee's statements of MISOGYNY, and he sent them to fuck themselves and all the righties cheered? What's your stance on that? Did you cheer at this event? How does it compare to actions of inXile and Obsidian? Which is more leftie, and why?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where can I contribute to the Stardock Legal Offense Fund?
dollars.png

Drakron

Arcane
Trademark yes but not the content, its kinda the hilarious situation of say owning the rights to Tom Clancy name but not the rights to the characters Tom Clancy craeted.

So in one hand they can create what is a Star Control game but cannot use the name and on the other, Stardock can make a Star Control game but in name alone without any of the things that makes it Star Control.

Deathsquid

Learned
Trademark yes but not the content, its kinda the hilarious situation of say owning the rights to Tom Clancy name but not the rights to the characters Tom Clancy craeted.

So in one hand they can create what is a Star Control game but cannot use the name and on the other, Stardock can make a Star Control game but in name alone without any of the things that makes it Star Control.
And the funniest part? Instead of creating idiotic drama, both sides could've made their own games by now. Stardock could have another spreadsheet simulator and the TfB guys could have made a possibly fun game and named it, I dunno, ASTRAL DOMINION or something.

But noooo, instead we'll only have the spreadsheet simulator and nerd martyrs.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, more Star Control would be great, but Reiche & Ford should really be working on The Unholy War 2.

392282-the-unholy-war-playstation-screenshot-killcycle-dropping-bombs.png

The Unholy War shared 98% of its DNA with Star Control, except in three dimensions and with individuals instead of ships. (The "Killcycle" pictured is not a spaceship but a hoverbike.) Imagine if they'd made an exploration/RPG type follow-up to this fascinating world like they did from Star Control 1→2. They could forget this idiot lawsuit and get back to simply making good games.

Deathsquid

Learned
You know, more Star Control would be great, but Reiche & Ford should really be working on The Unholy War 2.

392282-the-unholy-war-playstation-screenshot-killcycle-dropping-bombs.png

The Unholy War shared 98% of its DNA with Star Control, except in three dimensions and with individuals instead of ships. (The "Killcycle" pictured is not a spaceship but a hoverbike.) Imagine if they'd made an exploration/RPG type follow-up to this fascinating world like they did from Star Control 1→2. They could forget this idiot lawsuit and get back to simply making good games.
That sounds really interesting. Those PS1 era graphics though, ouch. UrQuan Masters in their 2D glory look so much better.

Zombra

Patron
That sounds really interesting.
Yep. Though it is certainly dated now, Unholy War in its day was just as good as Starcon 1, or Archon. And the units were just as crazy as the different Starcon aliens. The theme was "magic vs. technology", with a coalition of high tech aliens invading a dark fantasy planet (with all original races). You had lizardman sword mages vs. heavy missile tanks, unicorn rhinos vs. buzzsaw robots, fire witches vs. tower-building scientists. A story/exploration game in that world would be HELLA AMAZING. Really sad they never did anything more with it.

Maybe I will buy the rights to the series for 10¢ somewhere and trick them into battling for the right to make an awesome sequel and have it be this huge problem.

Last edited:
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ritchie and Ford are dumbfucks for trying this gofundme. The dudes need a public relations firm, not a law firm. They could have used their reputation to steer the drama, but instead have come across like greedy bastards. Wardell at least seems to care about getting a game out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was looking at Twitter the other day and realized that Frogboy is putting the Arilou in Star Control: Origins.

That is more than a minor reference. I don't think he's allowed to do that. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up being renamed.

EDIT: This makes no sense to me - "Stardock owns all the trademarks. So Star Control games can have the Star Control aliens."

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, he seems to think that if they change the art then it won't be copyright infringement.

Roscoe Scaggs

Novice
Man fuck all of this, I still have my SC dics from 25 years ago and just downloaded UQM on every PC I have, in case this ends up with that gone. I'll play a great game while these retards fight it out. Fuck Brad for playing twitter copyright lawyer and fuck Paul and Fred for jumping on the crowd-funding bandwagon ass-backwards. Even Fargo wouldn't pull this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom