Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus - now with Heretek expansion

Elex

Arbiter
It is somewhat strange that there isn't squad based tactics game centered on Eldar aspect warriors.

Yeah; I know that aspect warriors are supposed to operate in single unit type squads, but developers could circumvent that by saying that different types must work together in ritual of ju'stmad-ei'up because of reasons.
here the scroll of truth:
non imperium centric war 40k videogame don't sell well

it's already hard when a game is not about space marines.

this game look promising but they are clearly at low budget, can be a great game and be

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
non imperium centric war 40k videogame don't sell well
But wasn't that before they made a gazillon games centered around the Imperium?
It even gets more ridiculous:
2 of the 3 Armageddon factions are Imperium
Same for Sanctus Reach
2 of the 4 Gladius factions are Imperium...

At least, this is an exclusive Imperium faction we have never seen in a game :)

I don't understand what people are seeing that makes them think the games graphics are poor or low budget-- To me the graphics and animations look better than almost any turn based isometric game I have ever seen.

I don't understand what people are seeing that makes them think the games graphics are poor or low budget-- To me the graphics and animations look better than almost any turn based isometric game I have ever seen.
Which tells a lot about current state of turn-based isometric games

I guess, but to me the graphics displayed above have more than passed the level required by me in order to enjoy a game. Speaking for myself, once graphics have achieved a certain level (around the level of icewind dale, or Temple of Elemental Evil) it mostly becomes a situation of diminishing returns on investment.

Don't get me wrong, I love great graphics, and everything being equal am very happy to see designers improve the looks of a game. But in the above example the graphics thus far presented have greatly exceeded any lower limit I might demand. Honestly the game already looks great to me, I can't see what is wrong with how the game looks.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

I guess, but to me the graphics displayed above have more than passed the level required by me in order to enjoy a game. Speaking for myself, once graphics have achieved a certain level (around the level of icewind dale, or Temple of Elemental Evil) it mostly becomes a situation of diminishing returns on investment.

Don't get me wrong, I love great graphics, and everything being equal am very happy to see designers improve the looks of a game. But in the above example the graphics thus far presented have greatly exceeded any lower limit I might demand. Honestly the game already looks great to me, I can't see what is wrong with how the game looks.

Give me good challenging without cheating and bloat AI, more options of customizing units and interesting scenarios which play for longer than 5 minutes like in TBFG before the fleshy graphics with Bloom, HDR and the rest of shit Comrade. Would love to play RPG/Sim game where you start as Ensign on ship, go all the way to Captain in first part, RP a Imperial Navy light Cruiser Captain visiting planets, fighting heretics and xenos pirates and doing favors to Governors while managing your crew and ship in 2 second and only in third go to grand strategy by commanding first squadrons and then entire Battle Fleets of ships. As turn based graphics goes anything more fancy then Armageddon is waste of efforts in Commissar opinion which should be spend on core game; its not like this genre will be ever popular with Console peasants.

Compared to Templar Battleforce, the graphics are an upgrade - for the gameplay, I have my doubts.

the one thing about templar battleforce I would really like to see changed is that it takes forever to move across a room or explore corridors even when there are little or no enemies around. I wish it could speed up the movement somehow or allow real-time exploration outside of combat, because it was tedious as hell to explore one corridor, realize it was not the best way and then backtrack and try another. It felt like could take 20-30 minutes just moving across a room at times.

Elex

Arbiter

Give me good challenging without cheating and bloat AI, more options of customizing units and interesting scenarios which play for longer than 5 minutes like in TBFG before the fleshy graphics with Bloom, HDR and the rest of shit Comrade. Would love to play RPG/Sim game where you start as Ensign on ship, go all the way to Captain in first part, RP a Imperial Navy light Cruiser Captain visiting planets, fighting heretics and xenos pirates and doing favors to Governors while managing your crew and ship in 2 second and only in third go to grand strategy by commanding first squadrons and then entire Battle Fleets of ships. As turn based graphics goes anything more fancy then Armageddon is waste of efforts in Commissar opinion which should be spend on core game; its not like this genre will be ever popular with Console peasants.
the dream war 40k game is still chapter master, they made one fan made and was pretty good, yes is possible to made for a game developer company.
starting small and add new stuff gradually

Mustawd

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/warhammer-40000-mechanicus-brings-xcom-to-40k/2300-6443616/

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus delves deep into the lore of the Warhammer 40,000 franchise, melding the story with Xcom gameplay mechanics into a turn-based strategy experience that fans of either series will find familiar. The game is coming some time this year, and not much is known about it, but GameSpot did get an early look at Mechanicus. Check out the latest gameplay in the video above, wherein Dave and Tam talk about how the game is very XCOM on the surface, but filled with deep, nerdy, Warhammer lore within.

Mechanicus puts you in the role of Magos Dominus Faustinius, senior Tech Priest of The Adeptus Mechanicus army. If you're not familiar with the Warhammer 40,000 universe, the Adeptus Mechanicus are humans, augmented with machine technology, who live on Mars and serve the Imperium. In Mechanicus, Magos must lead an expedition of Tech Priests on the newly re-discovered planet Silva Tenebris, while managing resources, discovering new technologies, and planning tactical operations using Noosphere technology. Strategy is key, as is planning your turns carefully to keep your Tech Priests alive.

The story is written by Warhammer Black Library author Ben Counter, with branching narratives based on your decisions and multiple endings with different outcomes. There's lots of a customization, too, as Tech Priests' limbs can be upgraded with mechanical augments. Teams can be shaped to suit different play styles, with hundreds of different possibilities. There still aren't many details on Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus, but keep an eye on GameSpot's full coverage of the game for the latest news and updates. You know Dave is on top of it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
This might be good. Truth be told I'm convinced DOW I & II were flukes. Since those games, everything I've seen coming out has been utter shit. I have hope for Necromunda but that's it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Darkest dungeon/X-Com Hybryd it seems. Could work.
Still it bugs me that a common tech-priestss, who usually(according to fluff) die in drowes in any combat blasts their way through necron warriors, hordes of flayed ones and according to mission status, kill Necron Lord. Yeah, Tau were the butt of all jokes but Necrons were the actual losers judjung by numerous tournaments. To the point where GW reqritten their fluff from scratch but still everywhere they are describes as incredibly powerful. With gauss rifle blasting space marines easily. Here Gauss looks like IG flashlights.
But I could live with that if game will be interesting. As they add elements of text adventure in every room.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are different levels of tech-priests ranging from low level up to strong guys and a guy leading expedition/exploratory fleet would certainly be the stronger one.

And its looking alright, granted the lack of cover and guaranteed hits probably mean the player will have to tank the shots with multiple units and that will be your resource management.

lightbane

Arcane
Still it bugs me that a common tech-priestss, who usually(according to fluff) die in drowes in any combat blasts their way through necron warriors, hordes of flayed ones and according to mission status, kill Necron Lord. Yeah, Tau were the butt of all jokes but Necrons were the actual losers judjung by numerous tournaments. To the point where GW reqritten their fluff from scratch but still everywhere they are describes as incredibly powerful. With gauss rifle blasting space marines easily. Here Gauss looks like IG flashlights.

High-level techpriests (aka Magos and the like) are walking machines, literally, and thus quite strong. In the Dark Heresy pnp, Techpriests quickly become OP due how tough they become. As for Necrons, they were quite deadly in DOW1, for what's worth...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/mechanicus-is-warhammer-40000-meets-xcom-but-with-unique-ideas-of-its-own/

Mechanicus is Warhammer: 40,000 meets XCOM but with unique ideas of its own
No space marines, no cover. No worries.

Mechanicus has a couple of challenges ahead of it. One is standing out from all the other Warhammer 40,000 games—we've just had an action-RPG, soon we'll have a 4X that looks a bit like Warlock with orks, there's another turn-based game in Early Access—but developers Bulwark and publisher Kasedo Games have an idea for how to manage that. It's a pretty obvious one: their game won't have any space marines in it.

To be fair there have been other 40K games without space marine protagonists, but even then they've shown up as allies and enemies so often it's easy to see those distinctive shoulder pads and get a bit fatigued. And yet, they keep showing up. "I think people are like, 'Oh god, if we don't have space marines it's not a 40K game' or 'It's not gonna be well-received', I guess," says producer Andrew McKerrow. "But it doesn't have to have space marines [to be Warhammer 40,000] in my eyes."

Instead, Mechanicus focuses on a conflict between the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus, religious cyborgs who look like Doctor Octopus if he became the Pope, and Necrons, aliens who long ago gave up on biology to go full-blown robot. There's an interesting thematic conflict between the two, each representing a different strand of transhumanism. Players will be taking on the role of the tech-priests, characters who have shown up in supporting roles in a couple of previous videogames but never been the heroes of one.

"They are a new faction as a collectible army with the actual tabletop game," says McKerrow, referencing the 8th edition of Warhammer 40,000, which rounded them out and boosted their popularity. "Probably because of their newness it wasn't really jumped on. But for me that was a great opportunity because I'd seen that and I was like, this is the coolest army ever, why is no one taking advantage of it?"

McKerrow was responsible for pitching the idea of tech-priests as the heroes of a game. He'd read one of the official novels, Mechanicum by Graham O'Neill, and fallen in love with these underused weirdos who worship a Machine God and consider oiling engines and hitting machines so they work to be sacred acts. He's excited about being the first to nail down everything from the color of their energy weapons to the sounds they make. "No one's made the noises for the Adeptus Mechanicus, so we're making that for the first time. What an opportunity!"

The Enemy Within
The other challenge facing Mechanicus is that it's a squad-level turn-based tactics game explicitly influenced by XCOM, and that too is becoming a crowded space. Fortunately, they've got some ideas on that front, as well. "We decided not to go with cover," says McKerrow, as if it's not a big deal to drop one of the genre's central ideas. "We've all played a lot of tactical games where you're in cover and yeah, you do get that feeling of 'we're a proper squad hiding behind cover and taking the best tactical way of survival, but it's kind of taking a while?'" So Mechanicus won't give bonuses for kneeling behind a low wall—objects may still block line of sight, but if you can be seen you can be shot.

The inspiration for that came from an unexpected place: Bethesda's remake of Doom. "I played Doom and I was like wow, man, this is amazing. Why is that? I watched a lot of developer interviews and talks about that and we were like, Doom's done a really good thing, it made cover and hiding behind walls the worst thing you could do and I was like 'How did they do this?' The way they did it is they reward you for getting up close, personal."

The way he talks about it reminds me of another Warhammer 40,000 game, Relic's Space Marine from 2011. Though it superficially resembled every other third-person shooter of the era, Space Marine was all about charging forward into crowds of orks like an armored lawnmower. 40K is a setting where people have long-range weaponry but also carry chainswords and power axes, and there need to be reasons to make use of those.

"Unless it's an actual wall that's the size of me, there's no point in hiding behind things," McKerrow continues. "What I need to do is I need to charge forward with the higher-armored guys and have the long range guys that don't have armor stand back. And we reward the player with cognition points, which is a unique mechanic where for each point it allows you to move further than your normal movement or it allows you to use more powerful weapons or to make your basic attacks become critical attacks."

Cognition points reflect the learning you've gained from studying the enemy, and allow you to make smarter tactical choices. To farm them you need to stand next to the corpse of a Necron when they die, creepily studying the machines as the light goes out of their eyes.

Another way Mechanicus encourages action is that you're not punished for treating grunts as disposable. While the tech-priests are valuable as individuals, each one can bring a small retinue of throwaway troops with them, including soldiers called the skitarii and servitors who are basically lobotomized criminals transformed into combat cyborgs like the tank-treaded kataphron breacher. They still gain experience and upgrades, but they do so collectively. Improve one servitor and you improve them all, no matter how many blow up.

But wait, there's more
XCOM-likes are similar to sandwiches, in that they're better with more layers. Here there are two of them. The first is the Ark Mechanicus, the ship you captain as 'Dominus Faustinius'. It's where you return between missions and where all companions and armory and so on are. But when you leave the ship for a mission there's another layer between that and combat. You're exploring tombs on the world of Silva Tenebris in search of lost technology, and those explorations play out as dungeon maps with choose-your-own-adventure encounters in each area.

"You go room to room, collecting different resources or coming across certain events that will give you positive/negative options. Some of them may be clear, some of them may not. You come across a dead priest and you're like, 'What do we do with him?' You get to decide as the Dominus, do we take him back to the Ark Mechanicus and try and restore him, or use him as a shell, if that makes sense, where we can install other priests? Do we just leave him or do we set him on fire to make sure he never comes back to life ever again? Each one of those options gives a completely different result."

There's a ticking clock during this dungeon crawl. Each encounter, whether it leads to combat or not, fills up a bar as more Necrons stir. "Every time it fills a whole section, which'll be like five rooms or five actions, the Necrons will get a buff. When you go into another fight Necrons move faster, Necrons increase damage, Necrons may revive faster, Necron Lord is awoken. Each dungeon will have a miniboss, which is the Necron Lord. Originally the idea is he stays in his room and he's a good boy and sits there but we're looking into how we can get—when that action happens he can then move through the rooms, trying to hunt us down so then he forces a fight in his domain."

It's a structure that owes something to FTL, only with undead robots clawing out of their tombs rather than a fleet pursuing you from node to node, and it's another bit of differentiation making Mechanicus something unique. They've been working on this game for about a year and a half, and it shows in the thoroughness of the concept.

"We even made a paper tabletop version where we printed out pictures of like skitarii and used them as board pieces," McKerrow says, "so we've been concepting mechanics and things like that for ages and the core mechanics are definitely working very well, it's the extra abilities and the weapons and how our tech-priests are gonna level [that are still unfinished]."

They're "getting closer to entering beta" and aiming for release by the end of the year. In the meantime, you can check the Steam page for more info.

ColCol

Arcane
Another way Mechanicus encourages action is that you're not punished for treating grunts as disposable. While the tech-priests are valuable as individuals, each one can bring a small retinue of throwaway troops with them, including soldiers called the skitarii and servitors who are basically lobotomized criminals transformed into combat cyborgs like the tank-treaded kataphron breacher. They still gain experience and upgrades, but they do so collectively. Improve one servitor and you improve them all, no matter how many blow up.

zapotec

Liturgist
Combat reminds me of Banner Saga, no covers but lot of blocker tiles while the cognition points seems a sort of exertion points hmmm

Unwanted

Slavegal

Unwanted
UI needs a massive drop of
N5ONDG0.jpg

on top of it...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Gameplay:

e: There's no miss chance in the game. Already better than nu-COM. :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom