Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: Nevada Mod - final English version released

Black Angel

Arcane
Started it up and the performance is atrocious, like 3 fps. I tried different resolutions, directdraw mode, dx9 mode, DirectDraw_Compatibility_Tool but nothing seems to help. I recall Fallout 2 functioned normally on this laptop (Thinkpad X230, i5 3320m, 8 GB RAM, intergrated HD4000 graphics, Win7 x64). Please advise.
You installed the mod correctly, right? As in, you install it outside of Fallout 2's directory and into its own folder, and also followed the steps described by the translation readme (just click 'Yes' and leave everything at default). If you've done it all correctly, have you tried launching the normal .exe and the HD .exe?

As for the best possible resolution at which the game would run best, I'd suggest following agris's recommendation as described here.
I agree with what @epeli said, except instead of setting the game to 2x scaler, set it to 960x540. That will keep the font from looking fucked up because its a perfect 1:4 pixel mapping onto 1920x1080. You won't split the rendering of the low resolution font and graphics onto anisotropic subpixels, which is what makes low resolution games scaled to high look both blurry and sharp at the same time.

To be clear, in draw.ini set graphics mode to 4 or 5 (5 and playing with borderless gaming is superior for multi monitor users IMO, mouse is still trapped in window until you alt-tab), the resolution to your desktop's native 1920x1080, and GPUBlt=1. That's it for ddraw.

In f2_res.ini, set graphics_mode=0 which passes along game window resolution control to ddraw. Put scale_2x=0, and set the screen resolution to 960 and 540 (600 for :obviously: 16:10 owners). For fullscreen colors, set it to 8, and all the other graphics options are the same. Windowed does not need to be set to 1 in the subsequent options if you're using dx9 windowed mode, ddraw will handle that.
Not only the game run at its best (for me), but also it looks exactly as it was intended when Fallout 1/2 was released at the time. This tweak by agris is literally the only thing I've been doing, whether it's for Fallout 2, Fallout 1.5, and even Nevada. Hope it helps.

soulburner

Cipher
Yeah, I did everything right. I checked recommendation you quoted and it seems the game is running fine in borderless window mode - thanks!

Black Angel

Arcane
Yeah, I did everything right. I checked recommendation you quoted and it seems the game is running fine in borderless window mode - thanks!
Glad it worked. Note that the editing is not final, so there might still be rough Runglish here and there, particularly toward the mid-endgame areas. Initially, I wanted to report some of the bad grammar, but it seems the team had it covered, so I didn't bother anymore. Instead, if you're encountering some bugs and crashes, just report here or to the thread at NMA. With the new translation patch, I'm encountering some CTD at a mid-endgame area that wasn't there before in the previous translation patch, so I suspect there could be some I haven't encountered around the starting areas.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm looking forward to playing this. It's both unfortunate and good that I'm too busy to play right now, so hopefully when I get around to it the translation will be as sharp as it can be.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I started playing and lost over ten hours of my life: a good sign! I think I like Resurrections worldbuilding better so far, but Nevada has the more engaging (and crazier) storyline. I'm curious how it will end.

But I have a question: I try to find out who stole the Brahmin in Black Rock, but I don't get any clues about it's wherabouts. One of the locals mentions a guy called "Bolt", but I can't find a person like this. The little son at the gatter for the Brahmin allso mentions, that he drank water and then slept, so I guess this is important too?

What do I have to do to finish this quest?

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Black Angel

What area are you crashing at? The game keeps crashing for me just after entering the Slave Town map of Las Vegas, when for most of the game it didn't. Then I downloaded the fix to the Area 51 crash and the Slave Town crash temporarily resolved too, but now its back to crashing. Any ideas?

Black Angel

Arcane
Black Angel

What area are you crashing at? The game keeps crashing for me just after entering the Slave Town map of Las Vegas, when for most of the game it didn't. Then I downloaded the fix to the Area 51 crash and the Slave Town crash temporarily resolved too, but now its back to crashing. Any ideas?
There is exactly where I'm getting a crash problem. It was right after installing the new v2.91 translation patch. Doesn't matter how I got to Slaver's Town, loading a save that happens to be there, or entering the area through the worldmap, or entering it manually by going through Caravan's Parking Area -> Hard Rock Cafe -> Slaver's Town, my game ALWAYS crash.

The guys at NMA doesn't seem to be able to replicate the problem, and when they do they were able to circumvent the problem by copying ncr3.sav from other save folder to the save folder that's experiencing crash. No luck for me when tried doing that, I was suggested to re-install my Nevada mod and re-apply the 2.91 translation patch, doesn't work either.

However, it's so happen that this PC just recently undergone a new OS installation (from Win 7 to Win 8). But since the Nevada mod was saved in the Local Disk (D:), and my uncle who performed the OS installation is an experienced computer technician, most of the stuff in the Local Disk (D:), including Nevada, pretty much stayed intact. The only thing I needed to do was to reinstall the DirectX files like the .dll files, and that's it. I played through the game normally without any problem, and was able to move around Slaver's Town and had to save right there. Before starting to play again, I applied the 2.91 patch and it was there the crashing problem in the Slaver's Town became apparent to me.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So far it's amazing. Have a problem at the Uranium Mine though - is it bugged? I'm shaking the pole with cans attached like there's no tomorrow, but no worms show up.

Cael

Arcane
Upgrading Windows is usually a mistake. If whichever version you have is working fine, leave it alone!

Black Angel

Arcane
So far it's amazing. Have a problem at the Uranium Mine though - is it bugged? I'm shaking the pole with cans attached like there's no tomorrow, but no worms show up.
Right after shaking the pole, immediately run around the open ground. Doesn't matter how far you run away from the pole, they should appear. Be wary, though, they're REAL though.

Upgrading Windows is usually a mistake. If whichever version you have is working fine, leave it alone!
At the moment it could be that the problem's cause was because my PC was changing OS. The other guy, though, need to know if there's any changes to his PC recently.

Cael

Arcane
At the moment it could be that the problem's cause was because my PC was changing OS. The other guy, though, need to know if there's any changes to his PC recently.
That is just generic advice. It is not aimed at you.

In my experience, if you get a Windows version to work with your set up and can play the games you have, just leave it alone. Never upgrade it, especially not to a later version. You are just inviting pain and suffering. You only get a new version of Windows when you buy a new computer (mainly because the old version probably won't even exist any more in the new computers market).

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
And another couple od questions:

- I'm searching now for missing parts for the radiotower in Cheyenne territory. I looked everywhere, but don't know where to ask next. I couldn't find anything in Area 51 so far.
- Speaking of Area 51: what else is there to look besides knowing about the observing of Vault 8 and the Aliens? Can I just blow up the place, after looking up the information about Vault 8? Where do I find the parts for the generator in the baracks of Area 51? Can I just blow up the doors with granates?

MapMan

Arcane
This mod is great so far. I really dig it.

I do have a quest question though:
Is there an alternative to the black rock population joining vault city?

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
- I'm searching now for missing parts for the radiotower in Cheyenne territory. I looked everywhere, but don't know where to ask next. I couldn't find anything in Area 51 so far.
- Speaking of Area 51: what else is there to look besides knowing about the observing of Vault 8 and the Aliens? Can I just blow up the place, after looking up the information about Vault 8? Where do I find the parts for the generator in the baracks of Area 51? Can I just blow up the doors with granates?
I'll answer to the best of my knowledge:
I don't think you need any parts for the Cheyenne tower? If I'm remembering right, you just need a high enough Repair/Science, as appropriate. I could be wrong about this.

I think you can, but I also don't think it's necessary to blow up Area 51. I could *definitely* be wrong about this.

Fixing the generator only requires Junk. I was confused about this for a long time, too.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how do you poison the raider's water in lovelock? i brought scorpion tail, the rotten meat, nightshade berries none of it works when poisoning the water

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Black Angel

There is exactly where I'm getting a crash problem. It was right after installing the new v2.91 translation patch. Doesn't matter how I got to Slaver's Town, loading a save that happens to be there, or entering the area through the worldmap, or entering it manually by going through Caravan's Parking Area -> Hard Rock Cafe -> Slaver's Town, my game ALWAYS crash.

The guys at NMA doesn't seem to be able to replicate the problem, and when they do they were able to circumvent the problem by copying ncr3.sav from other save folder to the save folder that's experiencing crash. No luck for me when tried doing that, I was suggested to re-install my Nevada mod and re-apply the 2.91 translation patch, doesn't work either.

However, it's so happen that this PC just recently undergone a new OS installation (from Win 7 to Win 8). But since the Nevada mod was saved in the Local Disk (D:), and my uncle who performed the OS installation is an experienced computer technician, most of the stuff in the Local Disk (D:), including Nevada, pretty much stayed intact. The only thing I needed to do was to reinstall the DirectX files like the .dll files, and that's it. I played through the game normally without any problem, and was able to move around Slaver's Town and had to save right there. Before starting to play again, I applied the 2.91 patch and it was there the crashing problem in the Slaver's Town became apparent to me.
windows 8.1 is even worse than 10. why the fuck would you install it instead of 7?

Modron

Arcane
how do you poison the raider's water in lovelock? i brought scorpion tail, the rotten meat, nightshade berries none of it works when poisoning the water
I believe you need three of the horsekiller poison or whatever it was called the thing you can make at campfires with enough survival IIRC.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Lovelock chaman will make them for you with enough speech, as long as you provide the ingredients, if I recall correctly.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lovelock chaman will make them for you with enough speech, as long as you provide the ingredients, if I recall correctly.
i think i fucked up his dialogue earlier,when i didnt hsve enouhh speech, and now everytime i talked to him, he is either doing his daily ritual, or teh dialogue say he is depressed and i should leave hin alone

Black Angel

Arcane
Nope. Been using Windows 7 for years now.
Okay, so not OS changes. But it seems Dionis is also experience similar problem after OS changes, but only on vanilla Russian Nevada mod. Don't worry, the guys are trying to look into it. Anyway, have you tried re-installing the Nevada mod and re-apply the v2.91 patch? Obviously, make a backup copy of your saves before re-installing.

windows 8.1 is even worse than 10. why the fuck would you install it instead of 7?
My uncle were visiting and staying for few days, and he happens to be a computer technician, but he only had Win 8 installation disc with him, that's the only thing he could do to save this PC, aside from cleaning the hardware, putting extra harddisk space into it, and also adds another 2 GB RAM, and he even managed to format the harddisk without even touching the Local Disk where Nevada were located, so I don't have to hassle myself with re-installing the mod + replaying the game all the way from the beginning. I only had to re-install DirectX to restore some missing .dll files, and that's it. Fallout 2 (Nevada mod in this case) runs so much better, compared to before OS re-installation. And I've also mentioned that the problem never occured before when I was still playing with v2.9 patch, and it only occured after I applied v2.91 patch. The fact that my PC underwent OS changes is to be considered in looking for the cause of crash problem, and as Icewater confirmed, OS changes most probably didn't cause the crash problem in the first place.

I do have a quest question though:
Is there an alternative to the black rock population joining vault city?
I'll assume you meant Gerlach, since there's no way for Black Rock to join Vault City. There is. Based on what you tell Sergeant Stark in VC, you can also choose to make Sergeant decides that Gerlach needs to be wiped out, and he'll task you to do it.

i think i fucked up his dialogue earlier,when i didnt hsve enouhh speech, and now everytime i talked to him, he is either doing his daily ritual, or teh dialogue say he is depressed and i should leave hin alone
Worry not. Just bring some nightshade berries to Jedediah in Black Rock, and he will tell you the recipe.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Anyone knows where Mark Gates is? I should really start taking notes. Getting back to the game after a good night's sleep is hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom