Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any CRPG's with good voice acting?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
All voice acting is terrible. If I save someone from a murderous cult minutes after the cult murders their companion, and seconds before they murder them, I want to hear sheer terror in their voice. They shouldn't be able to speak without their voice being stifled by the fear. Instead, nine times out of ten, the person in question sounds jovial, and says something like, "Well, thanks old chum! Come on by my store in Townville, I'll give you a little bit of a discount!"

Do any RPG's have good voice acting?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I mean, F: NV is a great RPG with decent-to-good VA. At the very least I don't recall any particular voice being sub-par or incompetent.

Keep in mind I'm mentioning F: NV because of the density and amount of VA in the game, but there are games with less voice-acting in them that have better performances, like your classic BG2's Irenicus.

...but if we're talking about a game that features VA as a main feature and throughout its entire length of game play, then I'd say F: NV is probably the best-quality RPG that also features the best-quality VA.

EDIT: Oh, and Bloodlines ofc. So obvious a choice I almost forgot to mention it. Bloodlines is the best modern RPG with VA, hands down, NO competition for its spot. F: NV places after it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Rose of Sharon Cassidy and Veronica were particularly well voiced I thought. New Vegas has a ton of good voice acting.

I'm playing the first Pillars game right now and I like Eder's voice acting. He kind of nailed the farm boy thing. Not a super interesting character mind you, but the acting is well done. Sagani ain't bad. I'm always tempted to turn of voice acting in these kinds of games though since you have to have the writing up and I read it way faster than the voices perform. Really throws me off, and I could get through long stretches so much faster just reading. Knowing Pillars 2 has complete voice acting makes me queasy.

Alkarl

Learned
Probably Bloodlines for sheer quality. F:NV isn't terrible either, but most characters are going to stand stock still while yammering whatever at you, staring deeply into your eyes and souls.

Personally, I like the interjections and party banter of the OG Baldur's Gate. "YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE ADVENTURING FORTH" aside, as is said above, I can typically read faster than whatever is being voiced, but most of BG's best VA comes from the snide quips, death threats, comraderie, and other lines you can hear from your companions (and even enemies) over the course of the adventure.

Falksi

Arcane
Witcher 2 & Dragon Age Origins had some fucking brilliant voice acting.

Vernon Roche & Iorveth just fucking awesome characters all round, both awesomely acted. And I could sit & listen to Claudia Black all fucking day long until I'd wanked myself into a puddle of goo.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Bloodlines obviously. I also love VA in Jagged Alliance 2, so many great one-liners in that game.

Alpha Protocol was also pretty good in terms of VA, imo.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Probably Bloodlines for sheer quality. F:NV isn't terrible either, but most characters are going to stand stock still while yammering whatever at you, staring deeply into your eyes and souls.

Personally, I like the interjections and party banter of the OG Baldur's Gate. "YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE ADVENTURING FORTH" aside, as is said above, I can typically read faster than whatever is being voiced, but most of BG's best VA comes from the snide quips, death threats, comraderie, and other lines you can hear from your companions (and even enemies) over the course of the adventure.

I think we need some kind of "You must gather your party" emote icon on the forum.

deama

Prophet
Mask of the betrayer I thought had some good stuff, especially the narrator.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Witcher 2 & Dragon Age Origins had some fucking brilliant voice acting.

Vernon Roche & Iorveth just fucking awesome characters all round, both awesomely acted. And I could sit & listen to Claudia Black all fucking day long until I'd wanked myself into a puddle of goo.

Can't believe I didn't mention the Witcher games. Great voice acting and writing in the second and third games. In English, anyway.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Dragon Age Origins had some fucking brilliant voice acting.

:roll: And Allistair was a whiny twat. After Morgana, it all falls off considerably.

Replaying Fallout recently, I realized that game kind of set the bar for me as far as voice acting. Just enough. No more. After that, voice acting seems to get in the way. Voice key characters one line of dialog at a time. Not one person speaking for 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Mark Richard

Arcane
It's difficult to find consistency in a genre where the minimum length is comparable to a Harry Potter marathon, especially when voice acting is still struggling to find respect across entertainment. The 2012 Game of Thrones RPG is about as chaotic as it gets, hiring actors from the TV show with little booth experience and rounding up some office interns to play town guards. When a project makes the effort to cobble together a group of professionals with extensive voice acting experience however, something truly special can be achieved. Fallout had Keith David, Clancy Brown, David Warner, Kath Soucie, Jim Cummings, and Tony Jay (apparently Interplay just walked onto the set of Gargoyles and hired the entire cast?) and it pays off big time. No other RPG has yet even come close to matching that pedigree.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Compared to FF13's Lightning and FF15's Noctis, in comparison Tidus is a fucking man's man, gentleman AND a scholar.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Compared to FF13's Lightning and FF15's Noctis, in comparison Tidus is a fucking man's man, gentleman AND a scholar.

Well the voice actress for lightning did her best with the horrible sccript. Noctis on the other hand sounds bored and disinterested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom