Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Amerilias

Educated
Who knows...
He was joking that his hands were shaking because he is all organic.
I will find a source later and post link.

ok.It was mentioned in GiantBomb interview . He's 100% organic and don't have any synthetic parts in his body. He told V about it during procedure ,he has "special multi task gauntlet" mounted on arm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi9IHT38k_M

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What's the point to play cyberpunk if you don't want any agumentations?.... There are people that insists on this.
Slicing up your flesh to replace it with mechanical parts is degenerate
:deathclaw:
Aren't you some kind of progressive sjw messiah?! Don't you want to loose that soy dependant body and become a true defender of nature and minorities?

Big Wrangle

I doubt real-life augmentations will somehow cause psychosis, but I don't see myself applying them unless it's necessary.

sullynathan

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I doubt real-life augmentations will somehow cause psychosis, but I don't see myself applying them unless it's necessary.
Well,it could a lot of people have phycological problems when they loose a limb. Some even feel the missing limb,it is an interesting thing to read about.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What's the point to play cyberpunk if you don't want any agumentations?.... There are people that insists on this.
Slicing up your flesh to replace it with mechanical parts is degenerate
:deathclaw:
Aren't you some kind of progressive sjw messiah?! Don't you want to loose that soy dependant body and become a true defender of nature and minorities?
You are not Ash
Yes i am not,what does this mean? I don't understand you mate!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Not sure if that was intended at me, but just in case, my point wasn't that you can play CP without augs, but that on Tabletop it is possible to recover from cyberpsychosis and part of that recovery is the removal of all/most augs. Compare and contrast to ye old regular addicts.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Except that in this universe agumentations are part of everyday life like having a cellphone today...All people agument theyrself in some manner.. Even only for a brain chip because most of the time is also a necessity also griffed cyberware can make the difference on how others interact with you... This is why have a character with no agumentation at all not even basic ones will always keep you under the line because in the end you will be slower both in thinking and in moving.

The power of THE HUMAN SPIRIT can defeat all that though

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
When Bethesda is making an actual post apo game

IpQN50K.png

lol human taxi drivers in 2077? Elon Musk said by mid 2020s Tesla cars won't even have a driving wheel installed. Gonna be all auto pilot.

That's not going to happen, a car company is never going to put all the liability on themselves for crashes. I think of self driving cars and it just makes me wonder: who do you sue? Seems like answer, especially if you've taken away the steering wheel, could be a whole conga line of people and companies that'll most likely just want to leave it alone.

That ResetEra thread is beautiful, so much stupid in one place. First two pages put a smile on my face, but that's all I could stand to read too. It's like Landover Baptist levels of parody, only everyone is serious, maybe, I can't even tell anymore.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because of the added challenge, surving in a world where people replaced their humanity with technology is inredibly interesting.

And again is a world where even the most normal working person can simply outpeform you on work because it has implants that enhance his awareness,reflex,strenght and so on.
Survive with a human with not even basic implants is... A suicide. It is not a setting like Deus Ex where you still have people that are pro humanity and protest versus the agumentations.. That doesn happen in cyberpunk agumentations are normal you have stores all around that don't only sell you implants but are capable to install them on you directly on the store.

But isnt that an interesting question in science fiction setting?

Replacing your body with technology and its implications, how much do you change until you cease to be human, can a person with only human brain really be human, is a cost of losing your body for sake of economic security a price too big, have we destroyed humanity for sake of making life easier, those are just some of the questions that this topic offers.

I would argue that this questions are actually even more interesting in a setting where implants are such a accepted beneficial norm that a kid could buy one at the local kiosk and questioning this kind of life would make you look as crazy person.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Deus Ex: Human Revolution did an excellent job addressing a lot of those plot points. If human modification becomes the standard, then what options do you have to compete without one? If a game like Cyberpunk doesn't address that then I think it's missing a lot of opportunities. Not saying it should be the focus of the plot like in Deus Ex, nowhere near, but there should be some of that in there.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I watched Johny Mnemonic for the first time yesterday.

It had everything - Neo before he was Neo complete with horrible acting, Takeshi Kitano with a dead kid, Dolph Lundgren starring as people massacring Jesus, amazingly WTF 90s idea of what internet is gonna look like in 2021, Ice-T as a boss of a hacker collective of Lo-Tek hobos fighting in the INFOWARS (shit you not), cybernetic dolphin, music by composer of Terminator...

amazeballs

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
But isnt that an interesting question in science fiction setting?

Replacing your body with technology and its implications, how much do you change until you cease to be human, can a person with only human brain really be human, is a cost of losing your body for sake of economic security a price too big, have we destroyed humanity for sake of making life easier, those are just some of the questions that this topic offers.

I would argue that this questions are actually even more interesting in a setting where implants are such a accepted beneficial norm that a kid could buy one at the local kiosk and questioning this kind of life would make you look as crazy person.

Does Cyberpunk 2077 let you play as an un-augmented normie who sits in a dark room by himself and plays old crpgs? Because that's what I'll be doing if I live to 103.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Well you are V the mercenary, so you will kill for cash. Hard to say how much the game let's you do beside mercenary activities.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/22/cy...mance-controversial-decision-go-first-person/

Cyberpunk 2077: CD Projekt talks dismembering with katanas, deep RPG systems, romance, and the controversial decision to go first-person

The gunsmoke still lingers from CD Projekt RED’s worldwide unveiling of Cyberpunk 2077. There was a thrilling reveal at E3, a cinematic scene-setter that featured augmented humans, the seedy introduction to Night City, and a dude getting a good old fashioned shoeing.

What followed was a full briefing for press, publishers and high-profile game developers (we saw David Cage and members of the BioShock team in one presentation, as well as Hideo Kojima and Warren Spector) that was not revealed to the public.

It really was a behind-closed-doors presentation on a scale we rarely see now, with CD Projekt refusing to release the 50 minutes of gameplay footage to the masses. That may create suspicion in a world where everything leaks, but the developer has a right to show its own work when it’s truly happy with it.

Honestly, we came away wild-eyed and buzzing. It was easily one of the best demos I’ve personally seen at E3 in years – the scale of it, the willingness to show live gameplay and the amount of time dedicated to so many of the game’s systems was a perfect snapshot of this ambitious project.

“It’s a detail-oriented world, where who you are, how you dress, what kind of cyberwear you have really matters. In order to maintain that feeling of an interconnected world switching to a first-person perspective was really important”

I sat through the very first presentation at E3, and afterwards was ushered into a room to carry on the conversation, a little in awe at what I’d seen, trying to process some of the surprises. The first was one that received predictable kickback from the game community, too eager to judge something it hasn’t yet seen.

“Personally I think the switch to first person is a great choice, especially for the world of Cyberpunk,” says Maciej Pietras, lead cinematic animator. “It’s a detail-oriented world, where who you are, how you dress, what kind of cyberwear you have really matters. In order to maintain that feeling of an interconnected world switching to a first-person perspective was really important to how we’re going to use the immersive narrative.”

It makes sense. Cyberpunk 2077 is rich, colourful and vibrant – nothing is hiding in the shadows – a far shot from the grimey, rain and neon of something like Blade Runner or Deus Ex.

It’s not just the first-person perspective that grabs the player, but a smooth blending together of cinematic scenes and gameplay, something Pietras, who has worked at CD Projekt for four years, has personally overseen.

“The way we actually approach this, we’re calling it the directive scene system,” he explains. “From my perspective, we’re trying to blend cinematics and gameplay. The way it works is that since we’re creating a first-person perspective open-world RPG we want to keep the player as immersed in the game as possible. We’re using the directive scene system as a way of pulling you into this world and keeping you in the scenes.”

cyberpunk_2077_e3_10-1152x648.jpg

You don’t have to sit through what you’d normally consider a cutscene, listening to a character spout pre-scripted dialogue until the last full stop. You can interrupt by poking the barrel of a gun in someone’s face if you’re more about actions than words.

“You can actually pull out a gun there. It’s a super-challenging thing for us, but it’s also really, really cool. It gives this visceral feeling of being there, that this matters and you pay the consequences of your actions,” says Pietras.

Part of that fear of turning Cyberpunk first-person is that it will lose its role-playing elements. People don’t want to lose what makes The Witcher 3 and the Cyberpunk pen and paper RPG so popular. But if first-person is usually associated with ‘shooter’, the development team are looking to blend is with RPG. Hit someone with a shotgun and they’ll take damage to multiple body parts. Blood spatters on the wall, but numbers rise off the body too.

“This is still an RPG, right? It has to be a stats driven gameplay system,” says Pietras. “You want to reflect those damage options and how they’re connected to your stats and your skills and attributes in general. You can then adjust your weapon type to the situation.”

cyberpunk-2077-taxi-1152x648.jpg

Players can single out particular limbs, whether chopping at arms with a katana of blasting out knees with a shotgun. This isn’t spray and pray – you approach an enemy tactically and switch up your weapons based on their defence or skillset.

“When it comes to combat we have three different types of weapons. Each are for a different approach to the gameplay,” says Pietras. “What I can tell you about hand-to-hand combat is that we will have it; where you can use the katana or other weapons. It’s a cool thing because we have a dismembering system. It’s visceral, it’s brutal.”

Technical tricks aside, you can’t take an open world seriously without the creation of a believable society within it, one that mixes daily mundane activities with the shoot-em-up thrills of a video game.

Cyberpunk 2077 takes place in Night City, an open-world split into six districts. The rich tourists play in Westbrook, the socialites populate the suburbs of Heywood. In contrast, Pacifica is overrun with gangs, while Santo Domingo is a forever evolving tech industrial zone.

cyberpunk-2077-revive-1152x648.jpg

“I have to say that the city, the place where this game is happening, reflects the adult nature of the game. There is no hiding from it. This is the world, it’s brutal”

“The social structures are all inside the different districts of the city. There’s six districts and they’re all very different. They have different architecture, and obviously different people,” says Pietras.

“You will interact with people on all social levels. You’ll be handling different missions and meeting people from all forms of social life. But also we’re not forcing you to follow any path. You’re a cyberpunk, but you have to find your own way in this world. Since we’re creating this emerging interactive scene system it helps with making it clear that the choice is yours.”

CD Projekt shows that society in all its glory, and features a cast of characters with believable traits; selfish, nasty, funny, idiotic, ugly. These characters go about screwing each other over, screwing each other, and yelling much worse than “screw you” at one another.

“I have to say that the city, the place where this game is happening, reflects the adult nature of the game,” says Pietras of the language, nudity and violence of Cyberpunk 2077.

“Night City is a visceral place where dark things are happening. There is no hiding from it. This is the world, it’s brutal. We have to show it, we have to be true to the genre.”

Like CD Projekt’s Witcher games there is an emphasis on creating believable NPCs to interact with, a way to tell story naturally and create emotions through interaction.

“Without going into story spoilers you can expect that we will have followers with which you can have super-deep relationships. It’s like The Witcher, these NPCs have stories. It’s easy to compare it to the Red Baron [questline in The Witcher 3], but it really shows what really connects people is that even though we have this cyberware and this futuristic world, what connects people is close relationships and emotions like love and friendship,” he says.

cyberpunk_2077_e3_2018-3-1152x651.jpg

So yes, you will be able to fuck a number of companions and NPCs, but it’s not just about the cheap thrill.

“There are many of those,” says Pietras of romance options, “from one-night stands to long engaging relationships.”

With such acclaimed heritage, it’s difficult not to compare Cyberpunk with The Witcher in many ways. But where it’s hoping to feel different is in the sheer size of the game. And that doesn’t just mean the amount of hours you’ll spend playing Cyberpunk 2077.

“Obviously we’re creating an open-world RPG. Those games made by us – they’re long. This game will be long, how long I cannot specify, but I’m pretty sure you’ll be satisfied,” says Pietras.

“But when it comes to the scale – how big is the game? A new aspect which we didn’t explore in The Witcher was the verticality of a place. In the demo you can see these huge Mega Buildings and what’s awesome is it’s almost like its own separate ecosystem. It’s a system of its own. It’s basically a group shops, vendors, people living – it’s almost self-sustaining. At CD Projekt we really push for you to be able to touch the hand-crafted environments.”

makes me wonder: who do you sue?

giphy.gif

I watched Johny Mnemonic for the first time yesterday.

It had everything - Neo before he was Neo complete with horrible acting, Takeshi Kitano with a dead kid, Dolph Lundgren starring as people massacring Jesus, amazingly WTF 90s idea of what internet is gonna look like in 2021, Ice-T as a boss of a hacker collective of Lo-Tek hobos fighting in the INFOWARS (shit you not), cybernetic dolphin, music by composer of Terminator...

amazeballs

8565905254_22958598c4_b.jpg

:love:

Falksi

Arcane

"What makes it next gen?"
"Well...errr...it looks dead big with lots in it!" :lol:

To me it looks like a PG version of cyberpunk, where everything's colourful & bright, layed over another "open world" Call of Duty.

It's bland, normal, run of the mill. Shadowrun Return's title screen has more excitement than anything I've seen so far.

Shadowrun-Returns-Deluxe-Free-01-Header-740x416.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom