Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It's not gating because you could do it at any time. You would just never be overlevelled.

Quillon

Arcane
Having to repeatedly backtrack to a major hub to check if some invisible trigger changed the world state and spawned bunch of new quests is fucking retarded.

Not if they don't make invisible triggers random and tie them to main story milestones/acts; that would make new quests appear, existing quests disappear/change or resolved in some way on their own(prolly in a worse way since player did not help).

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I know what you are saying, but that is gating in a way, just not the artificial one. I'm trying to tell you that your terminology is insufficiently specific.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Soft gates are still gates though sure there's a difference between "you can never ever pass this gate unless you have the specific key" and "well you can try to pass this gate, but you'll probably die within five seconds inside." :M

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
you might want to double check things before calling folks illiterates
We-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg

"There is a [...] number of ways [...]"

Subject-verb agreement.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Every grammar book will tell you that a "[quantifier] of [things]" structure takes the plural verb.

In fact, from your own damn link:

subverbanumberof.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Both forms are acceptable and put the emphasis slightly differently. This is one of those things people who argue on the Internet masturbate to and it's really boring.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Every grammar book will tell you that a "[quantifier] of [things]" structure takes the plural verb.

In fact, from your own damn link:

subverbanumberof.jpg
The example given in the link is correct. But it's you who can't notice the difference between:
"A number of people grow"
and
"There are a number of ways".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A Grammar of Contemporary English by lord Randolph Quirk said:
Instead there are a number of possibilities of denoting future time.

In addition to process and continuation, there are a number of other concomitant meanings or overtones that go with the progressive aspect.

There are a number of count nouns that take the zero article in abstract.

There are a number of noun phrases that can be minimizers only in negative clauses

Do I need to go on, or do you want to argue with Quirk?

AwesomeButton

Patron
A Grammar of Contemporary English by lord Randolph Quirk said:
Instead there are a number of possibilities of denoting future time.

In addition to process and continuation, there are a number of other concomitant meanings or overtones that go with the progressive aspect.

There are a number of count nouns that take the zero article in abstract.

There are a number of noun phrases that can be minimizers only in negative clauses

Do I need to go on, or do you want to argue with Quirk?
Why post four examples of the same thing? You don't understand the reason why that sentence should be with "is", instead you're parroting examples which you don't understand.
These are all different cases of collective noun use than the one I said should be in singular.
I'll give you until tomorrow to find what the difference is, then I'll tell you.

If you find by tomorrow why should "There is a finite number of ways" be with "is", you will win... my admiration I guess. Now let me watch the fucking game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Since I'm also watching the fucking game, I'm gonna hit you with the grammar book again later when I find the actual chapter on this, cuz I know it's there. But spoiler: you are wrong and also a cretin.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
actually as retarded as it may seem in grammer-induced raeg i completely missed the "finite" in that sentence

so i guess i'm wrong and also a cretin

good job you win

this time

edit: however without the "finite" in there (which you happen to skip in a number of posts (hóhóhó)) that would still be "are"

2house2fly

Magister
Wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a somewhat common thing to read on forums like this, but that's not the same as being common among players. In any case, majority or minority behind me, I'm against the idea of restricting access to content and quests until you're a higher level or whatever solely to avoid people doing everything in a city at once and then complaining there's nothing to do there anymore.
I stayed in Neketaka exploring and doing quests until I'd done everything that didn't require me to get back on my boat, and I agree. I still came back to Neketaka to shop and turn in bounties and shop, and if after all that there's no more reason to return to the city... so what?

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As you know, I have spent the last few days creating items of extreme relevance to Deadfire ...

8fBZMLI.jpg

TT1 Unique Items updated to version 1.3

Available items:

Daggers
- Skaen's Kiss
- Nightshade
- Cutthroat

Hunter Bows
- Corpse Breeder
- Cloud Singer

Trinkets
- The Codex
- Dead Parrot

Helms
- Helm of Ultimate Balance

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:whatho:
A bunch of Slav shitposters arguing about English grammar,that is a new low for the codex i take it. If it was a debate about latin or old greek linguistics,that would have been prestigious. But lowly english,shame on you guys.

norolim

Arcane
You should also remember to start sentences with a capital letter and end with a full stop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom