Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thaumistry: In Charm's Way. A New Comedy Text Adventure Game by Bob Bates

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Bob Bates (one hour ago) said:
For those of you checking in to see if the Steam version is live yet, we ran into a last-minute glitch tonight and decided to hold the launch until we figure it out. We'll take a fresh look at it tomorrow.
--Bob

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's released on Steam:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...s-way-a-new-comedy-text-adventu/posts/2009237

LIVE ON STEAM! PLUS NEW VERSION FOR DIRECT DOWNLOAD

Hi all,

First, a personal note: Lots of Kickstarter backers have already finished the game and the reaction has been great. If you played the game and liked it, please post online and tell all your friends!

And now the news…

Thaumistry is now available for purchase on Steam by the general public:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/532980/Thaumistry_In_Charms_Way

We have also issued a Version 1.1 update that backers can download from https://www.thaumistry.com.

IF YOU’VE BEEN WAITING TO PLAY ON STEAM…

If you are a backer who has asked me for a free Steam key, then I have sent you one. Simply go to Steam and start playing.

If you are a backer who hasn’t asked me for a Steam key, then email me at info@bobbatesllc.com and I will send you one.

(Please note that the Steam Trading cards are stuck in the Valve approval process, so we have decided to launch without them, but they’ll be along shortly).

IF YOU ARE ALREADY PLAYING THE DOWNLOADED VERSION 1.0…

If you want to update to version 1.1, you can download the new version and continue playing from where you left off. Your save files will work. Starting a new game from the beginning is not necessary. This is also true for the Steam version; save files are interchangeable between the Steam and non-Steam versions of the game.

Please note, however, that going “backwards” will not work. That means that saving the game in the new 1.1 version and then trying to load that save file in the previous (1.0) version is not supported!

If you're on Linux and want to install 1.1 using the non-Steam installer rather than switching to the Steam version of the game, you need to uninstall the 1.0 version prior to installing 1.1. You can do that by running the "maintenancetool" utility, which you can find inside your Thaumistry installation directory. Your save files will be kept.

IF YOU HAVEN’T DOWNLOADED THE GAME YET…

Kickstarter backers can go to https://www.thaumistry.com, click on the “Backers” tab, and use your login credentials to download both the game and the CyberFeelies™

If you have forgotten your credentials, just click on “Forgotten” and they will be emailed to you..

Because the game is new, some anti-virus programs may flag it as a file you have to “trust.” (I’m looking at you, Norton 360).

THANK YOU!

This is very exciting!

--Bob

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Finished it too (using the hints once).
It's a bit on the easy and linear side, but it was very pleasant, a nice romp. Lots of funny answers implemented when you try stuff so I won't blame it for being short.
I really hope we can get a new game from Bob.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...s-way-a-new-comedy-text-adventu/posts/2221012

Version 1.3 is out, including TADS game file
Posted by Nikos Chantziaras

A new version of Thaumistry is out. If you still haven't finished the game, maybe now is the perfect time to get going!

Version 1.3 comes with:
  • Full-screen support. You can now play the game in full-screen mode. In order to avoid excessively long lines of text, the maximum text width is now configurable in the options.
  • Accessible text-mode version (Windows.) For visually impaired users who rely on screen readers and Braille displays, the Windows version can now be played in a text-mode window. This should provide full accessibility support for screen readers like NVDA and JAWS, or any other screen reader that supports text-mode windows.
  • Accessibility improvements on macOS. The game should now be more accessible to visually impaired macOS users using VoiceOver.
  • Numerous smaller enhancements and bug fixes.
Please be aware that unlike the previous updates, this one will break your existing saved games.

We are also releasing a TADS game file that can be played using a TADS 3 interpreter of your choice. If you are using Steam, you can find the file inside the game's installation directory, aptly named "Thaumistry.t3". If you are not using Steam, you can find it on https://www.thaumistry.com after logging in with your account credentials.

Please note that the T3 version of the game lacks all of our custom engine functionality, including the in-game map, appearance, custom configuration options and auto saves.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
75% off - okay, I'm finally convinced. I never really liked Bob Bates's Infocom games at the time, but they were quite literary and I was probably too young to appreciate it. In hindsight Arthur, for example, is conceptually extremely interesting, but I remember it being fairly dull as a game.

This one completely slipped under my radar until Maxie mentioned it in shoutbox the other day. A pleasant surprise, too, because it does in fact feel and play like a Legend Entertainment adventure (not too hard, even though certain puzzles took me a while to figure out, pretty funny in the LE silly sort of way; maybe a little on the short side). The few modern improvements there are do actually make sense (map, readability, improved parser). If Bob decides to make another one, I'm in.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What exactly does "a bit on the easy and linear side" mean?

I'm pretty spoiled after Hadean Lands, which is about as far away from easy and linear as you can get.

What exactly does "a bit on the easy and linear side" mean?
What Tramboi said (the appeal is in how funny/clever certain puzzles/solutions are rather than in their mechanical complexity).
Most of the time, you need to solve one specific puzzle to progress further; the basic setup is that you carry a spellbook around and gradually acquire new spells. Since most of these are only used once on the critical path, you normally either have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done at any given point, or at least which spell you'll most likely need to use (or both).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom