Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlock 2: The Exiled

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished an exiled game on impossible : this game mode is much easier than W1 : Armageddon, because W1 : Armageddon had you constantly on your toes, and it could be hard to expand with bad dremer spawn in your empire. The random agressions are much easier to deal with now. I found the end bosses pretty underwhelming : There were lots of Shadow Dragons nearby, that could have wrecked my party, but they did not look very interested in helping the endgame bosses, whose DPS were easy to resist. 1 Tiers 2 or T3 unit was enough to garrison each world (with a Meta Teleportation thrown in between when they could not handle it).
I like most of the changes they did (although I wish the AI had learnt to buff units, use water walking, and things like that...), and the exiled mode is more varied than the Armageddon mode. I only wish it weren't that easy.

mastroego

Arcane
Heard it before and that's why it's on my wishlist.
Same price as the last two "sales" though (about 20-25 with the dlcs)
To buy somewhat blind - and aiming at a mod - it's a bit high.

(I like mods generally but I'm wary of them. Occasionally they can be incredible - see Long War 1 - but often even the praised ones look and sound amateurish to me, and I have to uninstall as I can't bear the feeling too long).

mastroego

Arcane
Guise there are videos on Youtube, you can check it out first.
Ok cvv you almost have me convinced, I'll probably get it this time.
Just a couple more questions if you'll indulge me.

Do you think the mod content is absolutely seamless? I've checked a couple of youtube videos, the good thing is that I don't spot obvious mod content from there, but I might have chanced in all the official content so far. I am a bit skeptic that a single modder can create a massive mod AND add the required artwork to go with it (models and all) AND make it seamless.

Also, do you think it's a comparable experience to MoM (in terms of fun I mean obviously)?
Thanks for any comment!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do you think the mod content is absolutely seamless? I've checked a couple of youtube videos, the good thing is that I don't spot obvious mod content from there, but I might have chanced in all the official content so far.

This guy is pretty insane, no idea how he's doing it but it's completely seamless. I suspect he's actually a former dev member. Plus he's still at it and answers all questions and responds to suggestions in the Steam Workshop forum.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it's insane that there isn't a complete edition, that you actually have to buy all dlcs separate

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it's insane that there isn't a complete edition, that you actually have to buy all dlcs separate

Insane?

ollesafeee.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
how meta is WL2 with Renaissance? can a WL2 newbie (played some WL) sit down, load a L map and have fun, or do you need to know every minuscule detail to enjoy it?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
how meta is WL2 with Renaissance? can a WL2 newbie (played some WL) sit down, load a L map and have fun, or do you need to know every minuscule detail to enjoy it?

The gameplay is identical to WL. The only thing you have to learn by practice and experience is the relative worth of units, perks and resources, just like in every other 4X.

Do you think the mod content is absolutely seamless? I've checked a couple of youtube videos, the good thing is that I don't spot obvious mod content from there, but I might have chanced in all the official content so far.

This guy is pretty insane, no idea how he's doing it but it's completely seamless. I suspect he's actually a former dev member. Plus he's still at it and answers all questions and responds to suggestions in the Steam Workshop forum.
Doing 'just a mod' instead of a DLC or an expansion, so you can freely use 'borrowed' art assets. Quite crafty. :cool:

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Ive given Renaissance mod a few tries and never got into it. Im not saying it isnt good, but something about the game just irks me. What about it actually makes to so good (ive heard you go on about it a lot, cvv )

edit: looool this fucking games option screen is even busted. i literally cant turn on vsync or anti aliasing

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can't say what irks you, a lot of why we like games is subjective. There are a lot of quality, highly respected games I can't stand, Total War or Paradox grand strats come to mind.

Don Peste

Arcane
Are there any good alternatives to the Renaissance mod? I don't feel like buying aaall the DLCs.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Can't say what irks you, a lot of why we like games is subjective. There are a lot of quality, highly respected games I can't stand, Total War or Paradox grand strats come to mind.

I actually agree with the dislike of both of those examples. I just dont find anything in (modded) Warlock 2 to be very fun, despite it pressing all the right buttons. Streamlined, low micro, a focus on positioning, many units/races/abilities, strategic spell use etc.

It may just be due to the horrendous AI, which really doesnt seem any better with the mod (which is to be expected since he cant mod the AI itself, apart from helping it in areas where its innately decent)

Maybe i should just play on a harder difficulty, and treat it as an asymmetrical challenge.

mastroego

Arcane
I'm finally trying to delve deeper into this game + Renaissance mod.
As it's been said, the mod content is absolutely seamless, I can't spot the additions in any way.

I can see why people say this game + mod is worth it.
There's almost everything one could expect from a fantasy 4x.
Still there's something about it (the UI? The presentation? The style? I can't really place it) that prevents me to fully become "enthusiast" about it.

At the moment I'm struggling with the start of the game.
I'll be forced to tune the settings (fortunately they ARE adjustable) to try and make it so a DECENT start is possible.
Right now this usually happens: the first base is placed next to impassable terrain, or close to the edge of the map, or somehow in a position where possible expansion is very limited.
If I get to start in place with actual room for expansion, I try to start settling immediately but the AI encircles me in a moment. I can get to 3 cities maybe and I'm done.
Very frustrating.
I need to understand how to handle this since it's a pity not to be able to enjoy what the game seems to offer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom