Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found it more hilarious how the rogue or whatever was that in the back was mostly useless whole fight.
I noticed that too and the dwarf who was missing all the time and how the summoned creature was the stronkest DPS.
I mean the enemies are caught in web and stinking cloud that should be sneak attacks galore for the rogue, Are sneak dice implemented yet?
What range have you on sneak attacks with ranged weapons? Was the rogue too far away for sneak attacks? Explain thyself JarlFrank

The rogue sucked because he only had a terrible non-enchanted light crossbow, while the other characters had nice enchanted weapons. That's why his damage output was pitiful in comparison. Sneak attack is currently work-in-progress, it's not fully implemented yet, that's why we couldn't show off the rogue properly yet.

As for the dwarf, we just checked our setup and oops - he wore heavy armor and didn't have heavy armor proficiency, which means he got a massive to-hit malus. That explains his bad luck. :lol:
For next video replace the rogue with a proper archer fighter, you know we want to see how the best fighter owns everyone.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Now that I think about it, in PC game implementations of D&D web usually doesn't have that long a duration so yeah.
1 turn (10 combat rounds) per caster lvl?
In Original Dungeons & Dragons, the web spell has a duration of 48 turns irrespective of the caster's level. This duration was maintained for the later non-advanced versions of D&D (Holmes Basic, Moldvay/Cook B/X, and Mentzer BECMI). Advanced Dungeons & Dragons reduced the duration but also made it contingent on the caster's power at 2 turns per level, which was maintained for the 2nd edition of AD&D.

Note that creatures of sufficient strength can gradually break through the web created by this spell, with the exact details varying across D&D versions.

Also a turn always indicates 10 minutes, though a combat round can be either 1 minute (original, AD&D 1st, AD&D 2nd) or 10 seconds (Holmes D&D, B/X D&D, BECMI D&D) in length.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Since they are following 3.5e D&D for this game 1 combat round is 6s and turns don't exist as a measurements of time.
Effects that last longer than 1 round per level are marked as 1 minute/10 minutes/1 hour per level.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While we're following the 3.5 OGL rules very closely, we're not averse to house-rule some things to make them less OP or more interesting.

So web duration will probably be reduced.
Gotta check how they did it in ToEE, cause I remember webs expiring during combat in that game at some point.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ToEE was pretty faithful to the 3.5 rules. Very rarely did they house rules that kind of thing. (Even worse, vanilla ToEE has no AI command to attempt Break Free from web).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Gotta check how they did it in ToEE, cause I remember webs expiring during combat in that game at some point.
The best way to implement the web spell would be to have the creatures entrapped within webs eventually free themselves, given an amount of time that would vary by creature (or by strength for NPCs), rather than for the entire web to disappear quickly. :M

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Chances are great for the monk class:
When the Monk class becomes part of the game is definitely just a matter of the costs to produce the required animations. As soon we can afford to create a proper set of martial art attacks, the Monk will be realized. But re-using other classes' animations would hurt the overall value of the Monk too much since we try to put equal effort and energy into every single class.

Actually, we already created concept arts for the Monk:

:bounce:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As a seasoned monk player, I can get behind their reasoning.

Mustawd

Someone needs to explain to that artist how rimlight works....

Mustawd

Someone needs to explain to that artist how rimlight works....
What is rimlight?

It’s when you light an object from the side, creating a rim of light on the edge. It helps with contrast and making details pop. But it also means the direction of the rim is where the light source is coming from.

In that pic he has a rim on both sides, which is weird to me, but whatever. However, there doesn’t seem to be two light sources hitting him, so it just looks odd as fuck.

Also, his left ankle seems to be broken or dislocated. Poor guy.

rim_light_by_gimaldinov-dbb8wsi.png

Mustawd

Well, if we go there, look at the shadow. That's the most offensive of all.

Yah, it’s horrid. Fails to ground the character altogether.

Art is hard tho. The image just triggered me.

EDIT: Seems like he just used a gradient in photoshop on the shadow.

:facepalm:

Shadows...how do they work?

059672a90447c096242299d61d48e5f1.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
EDIT: Seems like he just used a gradient in photoshop on the shadow.

:facepalm:

Not only that. It's just a duplicated layer of the guy.
And look how the shadows falls. The leg that's on the ground... the shadow for that starts above the letter in "Beyond". The entire shadow layer is completely off.

Andnjord

Arcane
Holy Cain's Meatballs! How in the blazes have I managed to miss this before.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

But we all know this has to fail, right? For if it was to be released and be actually good the Codex would cease to exist. Why? Because this game would make the Codex....happy.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy Cain's Meatballs! How in the blazes have I managed to miss this before.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

But we all know this has to fail, right? For if it was to be released and be actually good the Codex would cease to exist. Why? Because this game would make the Codex....happy.
Read up on the history of the game. It’s part of the lore.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Backgrounds look very good! Is it 2d or 3d? If 2d drawn or render? I can't tell but the perspective isn't optimal(isometric ftw!).

Other than that i think the theme is too generic, i saw some monsters that i can't say what they are(dog-man?) and this shaolin monk class(i thought it's of the european variant with a hood :D), was innovative in 1998.

I could just as well play Original Sin 2 at present and get back to this in 20 years when they stopped making games like that.

Yeah it's harsh but got to be honest.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Backgrounds look very good! Is it 2d or 3d? If 2d drawn or render? I can't tell but the perspective isn't optimal(isometric ftw!).

Other than that i think the theme is too generic, i saw some monsters that i can't say what they are(dog-man?) and this shaolin monk class(i thought it's of the european variant with a hood :D), was innovative in 1998.

I could just as well play Original Sin 2 at present and get back to this in 20 years when they stopped making games like that.

Yeah it's harsh but got to be honest.

Backgrounds are 2D with rendered objects.

Also, the game has different character and combat systems to D:OS2, a different world, different story, different overworld-gameplay, etc etc so there are plenty of reasons to play it despite other isometric RPGs existing ;)

And this really is a weak argument when it comes to RPGs, since they live from their setting, story, encounter design, dungeon design etc. Fallout 2 uses the exact same engine as Fallout 1 with only few changes, and Arcanum is very similar to the two Fallouts too, yet nobody would ever claim they're not worth playing for that reason.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Fair enough i saw the combat videos later. There is potential here and it's not a one-man project, right? So you'll need atleast medium-sized sales and most people don't have time to play multiple games but i guess that comes down to marketing not game design only.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
JarlFrank do you know how the inventory system is going to be? Will it be like in PoE where you get everything in a stash or like in IE games?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
JarlFrank do you know how the inventory system is going to be? Will it be like in PoE where you get everything in a stash or like in IE games?

Every character has his own inventory, but when your chars are standing closely together you can display it in a single window to make item swapping between characters easier.
But characters need to be close enough to each other for swapping items, which is important for a handful of puzzles. No item swapping between chars from one end of the map to the other.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Same as Fire Emblem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom