Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need another game like Alpha Protocol

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I'm playing the game right now and it's fun so far, but you can tell there's more to be done with this style of gameplay. For example, while the C&C and dialogue are pretty excellent as they are, I wish they had more connection to your skills and customization. Say, if you were talking to an enemy and you had the option to attack him, it'd be great if a high proficiency in pistols allowed you to get a quick headshot and avoid a shitty boss fight.

By the way, I know why AP plays like an autistic Splinter Cell. It's supposed to be incentive for you to use dialogue to its fullest, manipulating your way through the game. I'm not gonna bash it for that.

Anyway, what do you think? Is some new studio gonna pick up where Obsidian left off and do this style justice? If it does, what setting would you like to see the game in?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
dialogue are pretty excellent
Main characters are all supposed to be top military ranks, but talk like girls who roleplay men. They talk about their feelings while dressed the part, but can't fathom how to talk the part.

Shit tier writing. You can read Daughter of the Drow and see how a low skilled female author writes males. Exactly the same stuff. Simply incapable of transcending their world views to write believable stuff outside their comfort zone.

Horrible compared to other over the shoulder shooters with stealth and infiltration.

what do you think?
It's shit like any other obshitian title after the kotors.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe great C&C but stripping it from that and it's a total garbage. Shit level design shit gunplay shit stealth shit enemies. The progression system could've been interesting if some of the previous aspects were well executed but they are not. If there was a sequel everything should be reworked even the dialogue system so it will just be easier to come up with a new ip since there's nothing that will be missed

deama

Prophet
Doesn't age of decadence try something like this? Like at one point you can attack someone and if your crit skill is high enough you can either damage them or kill them.

Deathsquid

Learned
AP had some interesting stuff going in the dialogue scripting (wow! dialogues that don't involve static characters standing and talking to each others while you pick your options!) and some c&c but overall it was a pretty bad game both gameplay and tech-wise (my god it ran like shit at launch and even the patches didn't help), and even the writing doesn't carry it unless you seriously play it like a knock on one of the three mainline spy film franchises of the time (Bond/Bourne/Mission:Impossible IIRC).

So yeah, I dunno.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's no market for linear cinematic games anymore unless they have multiplayer attached to them. :M

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Other developers could have learned something from Alpha Protocol's non-linear structure, use of dialogue to determine changes in reputation, and effect of establishing reputation on later options. However, these strong points in its game design don't obscure the fundamental gameplay, which consists of a poorly-constructed cover-based shooter with boring linear levels. Not to mention that a game calling itself an "espionage RPG" involves surprisingly little espionage and isn't close to being an RPG.

:rpgcodex:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Doesn't age of decadence try something like this? Like at one point you can attack someone and if your crit skill is high enough you can either damage them or kill them.
Yeah, a lot of traditional RPGs have these sorts of skill checks, what I'm saying is that AP and its kind should have them too.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I tried Alpha protocol twice but could not finish it. The stealth is broken, gunplay is probably the worst I have seen in gaming to this day; even the pistols had insane spray. Movement is clunky, mele combat is a bad joke. The hacking minigame is needlessly difficult. The levels were boring corridors filled with half walls. I have been dreaming about a James Bond RPG all my life but Alpha Protocol's gameplay is so bad I could not ignore it. So yeah somebody needs to make a spy RPG but this time one that is actually playable

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I tried Alpha protocol twice but could not finish it. The stealth is broken, gunplay is probably the worst I have seen in gaming to this day; even the pistols had insane spray. Movement is clunky, mele combat is a bad joke. The hacking minigame is needlessly difficult. The levels were boring corridors filled with half walls. I have been dreaming about a James Bond RPG all my life but Alpha Protocol's gameplay is so bad I could not ignore it. So yeah somebody needs to make a spy RPG but this time one that is actually playable

You become a sneak and pistol headshot machine after just a tiny bit of experience investment in those areas, same as Deus Ex.

Dodo1610

Arcane

You become a sneak and pistol headshot machine after just a tiny bit of experience investment in those areas, same as Deus Ex.

But I want a spy RPG where every situation can be overcome with stealth, hacking and persuasion, sadly AP forces you into combat. Agents are not soldiers they only kill if they are oreded to do so.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This was a reply to your statement about the gunplay. I do agree with you on other things tho, both stealth and the enemy AI are god fucking awful and so is level design.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But I want a spy RPG where every situation can be overcome with stealth, hacking and persuasion, sadly AP forces you into combat. Agents are not soldiers they only kill if they are oreded to do so.

That seems more in the realm of an adventure game to me, or a Fallout style isometric game. Alpha Protocol is a 3D action/RPG, so I think it should be critiqued on that basis. Comparing it to something more in the realm of what it was going for... Deus Ex, Witcher 2, etc... it still has TONS of problems, but I don't think the shooting is one of them. Stealth is in the sense of being way too easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom