Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, what will be Obsidian's excuse from now on?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm playing Fallout 2 for the first time right now, and yesterday I was greeted with this amazing scene. Chris is a divine person I say you, he looked into the future when he made F2:

8-FO2_29_4.png

Quillon

Arcane
Obsidian needs two things:
1. getting rid of Feargus
2. give Indiana breathing space

Indiana should be fine & provided for I guess but the Q is what will they do with the rest of the studio after Deadfire expansions? Since its probably not as successful as they hoped it to be, they could go for a quick 3rd installment without much improvement on production quality to not waste the upgrades they did from Pillars 1 to 2 or less likely scenarios are 3rd action PoE crowdfunding or ditch it completely :P I don't think they'll do another crowdfunding for PoE3 if it stays iso.

I don't see Feargus leaving but then again we're not seeing him doing anything publicly, interviews and such. Chris really cornered him professionally I guess. Any potential future crowdfunding would have a steep uphill to climb with Feargus at the helm.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are a bunch of Black Isle and Obsidian games with characters self-deprecatingly named Feargus. There are actually two Fearguses in Fallout 2 alone (I guess nobody noticed)

But ironically the person doing the spying right now is MCA.

Bocian

Arcane
I actually love late 90s and early 00s 3D graphics, but even I think NWN looks ugly. It just has bad art design.
Toolset and community-made enhancements can make it look really good. Worst graphical things in the game IMO are armor and weapon models, and both have outstanding replacements made by modders. The outcome can be quite appealing - or at least not as repulsive as you claim it to be.
Original campaign really gives this game a bad name, and it's a sad thing. It's strength lies in the content created by the players. And also, the game is still alive despite being 16 years old, there are very good online servers (most sadly switched to un-enhanced edition) and a few hundred-strong active community. It's a lot, all things considering.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
they could go for a quick 3rd installment without much improvement on production quality to not waste the upgrades they did from Pillars 1 to 2

Nothing will upgrade that pos engine to non-pos.
The engine is the least of their problems.
Writing and mechanics are an easier fix than writing an actual decent engine methinks.
Absolutely. I was just thinking that they could make a great RPG even with this engine, they should concentrate on improving their writing, which they manage to fuck up a lot recently.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Obsidian fans' excuse has always been lack of budget, but is that a valid excuse?

First, you can see examples of modern studios working with likely much smaller budgets that what Obsidian has had, and producing much better quality games. Piranha Bytes with Risen 1 and ELEX comes to mind, or CDRProjekt with Witcher 1.

This is always a hilarious comparison to make. A dev team in Poland is not a dev team in fucking California, when it comes to budget. It's not a comparison you can make. It's not even close. Might as well be different planets.

Thonius

Arcane
First step for obsidian in a road to success - fucking move out of California. Or make a Europe division that will actually make games instead of consuming soy latte by gallons.
There are shit ton of good devs and 2d/3d artist that come in cheap too and dont really care about no race/gender issues that floods modern games from usa.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
First step for obsidian in a road to success - fucking move out of California. Or make a Europe division that will actually make games instead of consuming soy latte by gallons.
There are shit ton of good devs and 2d/3d artist that come in cheap too and dont really care about no race/gender issues that floods modern games from usa.
:brodex:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Point is most of their work has never been good or even popular here, people are just nostalgic to them because of Black Isle.

giphy.gif
Yes, but as I and others have pointed out, that Obsidian developed Fallout: New Vegas means the company's sole worthwhile game was created using Bethesda's Gamebryo-derived engine (after it had deteriorated in Oblivion and Fallout 3 relative to its original use in Morrowind) and with a setting derived from Interplay's original two Fallout games (plus additional material from stalled projects). Obsidian's talented programmers and writers should have been creating games at other developers rather than letting their careers waste away in a company that is a shadow of Interplay and Black Isle.

Cael

Arcane
Not going to work for 2 reasons:

1. Europe is even further down the SJW tubes than California, unless you are talking Eastern Europe and Russia. They had SJW riots over Brexit and same sex marriage even before Trump was voted in.

2. It is not the devs and artists that made the decision to include those shit in the final product, but the owners and upper echelon of management that allowed it to happen. A writer can write all they want about trannies and whale sex, but if the studio owner disallows it, then it won't happen in the final product. Moving out of soy latteland only means they make soy games for cheaper, and we don't want that because we want them to go bankrupt, not turn a profit.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am Playing Fallout Nevada now and its even better at places than original fallouts were; Black Isles and early Obsidian were great guys, just great but them made their bed with SJ Warriors and them must feel the consequences. I am going to back Atom RPG instead of nostalgy for 80-ties and 90-ties when even Libruls were Cool.

:mca:

Time to forget but not forgive and move to greener pastures Comrades.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Yes, but as I and others have pointed out, that Obsidian developed Fallout: New Vegas means the company's sole worthwhile game was created using Bethesda's Gamebryo-derived engine (after it had deteriorated in Oblivion and Fallout 3 relative to its original use in Morrowind) and with a setting derived from Interplay's original two Fallout games (plus additional material from stalled projects). Obsidian's talented programmers and writers should have been creating games at other developers rather than letting their careers waste away in a company that is a shadow of Interplay and Black Isle.

No, that should be exactly their niche.

Ravness

Educated
Obsidian needs two things:
1. getting rid of Feargus
2. give Indiana breathing space
Why don't people like Feargus? I feel like Obsidian has to downscale now and focus on smaller games due to their uh... low earnings. I also don't think anyone in the industry will give Obsidian another break, didn't they already fuck it up with Paradox Interactive? They can't keep relying on Kikestarter or Fig to keep them afloat

Quillon

Arcane
Deadfire's development was a bit in conjunction with Tyranny's latest DLCs and MCA left long before that so he'd be talking about Pillars 1 which had a more troubled development than Deadfire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom