Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So I'm currently trying to grind for an early falchion from the skeletons near the bridge at the undead settlement. My first time I killed them I got the falchion my first time through so I assumed the drop rate wasn't too bad and it would just be a few runs. Here I am on another character who started farming them at 4k souls, earning about 1k souls per farming run, and now has 60k souls. On what I assume was my 52nd run through the sewers, I went through all the skeletons and the one of them finally dropped a weapon, a scimitar. I wouldn't be so bothered by it if not for 2 runs later they dropped another fucking scimitar with no falchion still. I've picked up 9 souls of a deserted corpse and 11 large souls of a deserted corpse from the rats, and from the skeletons I've gotten 8 human pine resins and 2 stupid scimitars. Now I'm too far in to call it quits so I'm just going to keep going until I get that damn sword.

EDIT: FUCKING FINALLY. God I've been at this literally all day. My final total was 67k souls. Holy crap I don't think I'm ever going for this thing early again.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Playing remastered and then DS3 I just realized there's no humanities/dark souls in DS3 for you to consume. Then I also realized the hole Londor pilgrim does in your chest (dark sigil?) Is actually a way to infuse humanities/dark souls into you. And if you read it's description carefully, it's like an opposite curse sign, in that instead of burning humanity it actually absorb it to your body.

Weird shit huh.

Perkel

Arcane
Can someone explain to me the butthurt over bonfires being too close to eachother when there's nothing to fight in between them? I don't get it.

Lazy design. But lazy design is better than retarded one from DS2 and bonfires every 5 seconds.
Either way bonfires was mistake since DS1. They should be only received when you beat boss like in Demon's, whole point of shortcuts and enemy location design mostly goes out of window if you can just spam run button to next bonfire.

Jezal_k23

I think bonfires can work in the sort of clever design that Cathedral of the Deep has, for example, but otherwise I agree they've been too frequent in Souls games for a while now.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, Cathedral of the Deep is really one of the best levels in the series, up there with Blightown and Yharnam for me. How is Tower of Latria in this respect? I see it's amazing from an atmosphere POV, but is it design-wise as good?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Tower of latria is great because is a prison that has the physical structure of a prison, and then it start to become more twisted and insane later. With a very interesting and original bossfight, a boss which is another player emboding the boss through invading your world. But sadly it doesn't work anymore because the servers are down forever.

8ae23e49b1942f49e7de806922be1136.jpg

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I thought it does work because you get an AI to appear if you're offline.
Well the boss being an invading player with the xanthous crown is gone. An AI boss will still spawn if nothing can be summoned, but it's completely braindead. It just chases you without backing up or anything. Just runs straight at you the whole time trying to attack in melee.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Regardless I think it was a poorly designed boss from the start, because rather than having a fun and interesting boss hand designed by the developers, they went the lazy asshole route and had the players do their job for them so you just fight some random faggot who has nothing but the same attack animations that you the player are capable of. That's incredibly boring to me, I play these games for gigantic monsters to fight, not to fish for backstabs at low latency, that doesn't feel like a boss fight at all, it feels like a random invasion that happens on my way to a boss fight.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I've gotten to irithyll dungeon now and I have to say got the netcode is shit still. I've had maybe 1-2 invasions in several dozen hours over a few characters where my attacks are going where they are supposed to be going and not hitting a guy 50 feet away. It's absurdly annoying and it feels like blind luck on whether my attacks are going to hit them or not. I can't even tell is any of these people are cheating or not because the sound effects go off if it hits the model, but if the netcode says they aren't there then no damage is taken.

Ivan

Arcane
fight some random faggot who has nothing but the same attack animations that you the player are capable of

But... PVP is fun...

in DeS? it was back then when there were no alternatives, but now that glitchy teleporting backstabfest is really bad even when compared to DS1, let alone DS2

Huh, I never had a bad experience with DS2 Scholar pvp. DS1 was nightmare, DS3 was average

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That's been the experience for like, the entire series. Endless laggy shitfests with like 1 in 4 people actually having a decent enough connection for a real fight. And maybe 1 in 10 of those actually want a fight, instead of hiding, cheating, or gang banging you. Pretty sure the only reason pvp ever became a thing in the first place is for the youtube memes. When it's good it's good, but's it's still not great, and it's not worth the effort.

praetor

Arcane
fight some random faggot who has nothing but the same attack animations that you the player are capable of

But... PVP is fun...

in DeS? it was back then when there were no alternatives, but now that glitchy teleporting backstabfest is really bad even when compared to DS1, let alone DS2

Huh, I never had a bad experience with DS2 Scholar pvp. DS1 was nightmare, DS3 was average

i'm saying DS2 pvp is good :) DeS pvp is awful even compared to DS1, compared with the best in the series (DS2) it's not even funny. DS3 (better netcode not withstanding) is roughly on par with DS1, just as awful but in completely different ways

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Hilariously enough, if I remember correctly, DeS was the only game in the series with dedicated servers from Sony so it was the only one that didn't have the shadow boxing problem. The least refined game in the series was the only one whose pvp connection was the most accurate. I guess Namco is probably more to blame than From on that account.

praetor

Arcane
Hilariously enough, if I remember correctly, DeS was the only game in the series with dedicated servers from Sony so it was the only one that didn't have the shadow boxing problem. The least refined game in the series was the only one whose pvp connection was the most accurate. I guess Namco is probably more to blame than From on that account.

you remember incorrectly. it was still p2p (only matchmaking and iirc phantoms happen serverside, like DS2, DS3 and BB) and had by far the worst netcode of the bunch. lag was abysmal and there are plenty of videos on yt of lagstabs across half the map if by chance you don't remember the horror of that netcode

Arnust

Savant
And not even the greatest of servers can save you from shitty netcode. Hell, Bloodborne surely has the same thing and it's a common contestant to 2nd worst PvP.

80Maxwell08

Arcane

you remember incorrectly. it was still p2p (only matchmaking and iirc phantoms happen serverside, like DS2, DS3 and BB) and had by far the worst netcode of the bunch. lag was abysmal and there are plenty of videos on yt of lagstabs across half the map if by chance you don't remember the horror of that netcode
I tried looking it up but basically every search result right now is about the fan made private servers people are using. I only remember getting invaded once in DeS and it was some double katana mid maxer so I doubt netcode would have saved my dumb ass when I originally played. As for bloodborne, again I only got invaded once in the nightmare frontier and again it was a mid maxer who had way more experience than me. I remember being summoned as a phantom in DeS a few times but that was at launch so I hjust don't remember accurately enough how well the netcode worked.

Arnust

Savant
I've just been of the stance that selling other players as the content is a mark of laziness and/or inability to create an actual game.
You still need to make all the mechanical context and it can be WAY harder to account for more brains than one to tinker the best experience possible, though. Otherwise, fighting game developers are bar non the laziest fucks.

deuxhero

Arcane
Demon's Souls had an easy item duplication glitch that was never fixed. Infinite grass destroys PVP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom