Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good point and click adventure games for beginners?

deama

Prophet
I was thinking about trying out the point and click genre, but not sure which ones to play. I don't think I'll enjoy stuff like monkey island, or the old point and click adventure ones cause I heard the puzzles can get really weird in them.

I have watched some point and click playthroughs on youtube, like still life 2, puzzle agent, and the black mirror.
So I was thinking it'd need to have a good story and puzzles that aren't really out there, but what do I know?

EDIT: woops, just realised I posted in the wrong thread, can a mod move it to the adventure section or is it still fine here?

rohand

Cipher
You mentioned Black Mirror and it's not a difficult game. It has atrocious (if hilarious) voice acting, but a nice story however some of the later puzzles can become annoying.

You can't go wrong with Lucas Arts adventures such as Monkey Island because LA has always been known to be much friendlier than Sierra in this department.

The Wadjet Eye published games usually have good puzzles and item usage and can be a doorway into the genre (they are new games that closely try to mimic those classics).

Perhaps masterpiece Primordia may be harder for someone who didn't have any contact with the genre before so you could start with the Blackwell series.

Ivan

Arcane
Beginner Friendly Adventures I've played and heartily recommend:

Anna's Quest
Blackwell Series
Fran Bow
The Journey Down
trilogy

Once you're ready to take the training wheels off (but not "how was I meant to think of that" hard)

Memoria
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango

deama

Prophet
Hmm, I'm thinking about Primordia, or will my standards skyrocket too much to enjoy anything else?

Ivan

Arcane
Hmm, I'm thinking about Primordia, or will my standards skyrocket too much to enjoy anything else?

I don't think so? I remember playing but it didn't have a lasting impact on me as it seems to have done for others on here. I'll have to replay it some time.

schru

Arcane
The Longest Journey. It has a nice setting and the main character is pretty enjoyable, with her fully-voiced comments on everything. The puzzles are fairly imaginative but not too difficult. The sequel wasn't good, though, and I don't know about the more recently-released third instalment.

deama

Prophet
Alright, I think I'll try monkey island first (the gog one), and we'll see if I like it or not, after that I think I'll give either primodia or longest journey a go. I actually played longest journey a long time ago (10+ years) but I don't remember anything about it other than the beginning, maybe.

rohand

Cipher
The Special Edition can be switched to classic mode with F10 I think
What's the benefit to playing the classic over the special edition? Won't it make the UI harder to use or something like that?

The new version has IMO horrid replacement sprites that don't come close in quality to the ageless pixel art of the original. The classic one has all the user friendliness you would want since as others said, you can't go wrong with LA. However, you'll still have the many verbs.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Day of the Tentacle definately, much easier than Monkey Island but you still need to get your head around the fact you're playing 3 characters that can also trade items with each other through time.

Past part was the easiest because it explains what you need for the most part and there's plenty of jokes that push you towards your objectives.
Present was a bit tricker, there are some really fucking weird bits.
Future was the hardest because it requires a LOT of trial and error.

Number 1 tip to not getting stuck in this game is to remember that it is a game about time travel, so you can use that to your advantage.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I think Monkey Island 3 is the best adventure for beginners, followed by Leisure Suit Larry 7 and Grim Fandango (new version with the mouse controls).

LSL 7 - best Larry game and probably best Sierra adventure overall, great graphics, funny, good puzzles, no death, no fuck you moments.
SQ 5 - best Space Quest, one of the best spaceship captain simulators ever, no Sierra fuck you moments, mostly good puzzles but keep walkthrough handy.
MI3 - overall best adventure game for beginners, excellent art, writing, voices, good puzzles.
Grim - best writing, VA, world design in adventure games, Tim Schafer's best game, flawed by the controls in the original version and some too wild puzzles, get the new version and keep walkthrough handy.
QFG games - great world and immersion (especially QFG1), good puzzles since it operates more on D&D logic than adventure logic. Save often.

I'd add Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars to the list. I don't remember it being too difficult, and puzzles are not as wacky or cartoony as some of MI or DOTT puzzles are.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm also slowly starting to play more adventure games and found this ones pretty good for a beginner:

Stasis and the side-story Cayne (which is free)
Broken Sword 1
The Blackwell games
Technobabylon
Paradigm

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You said you don't want an older one but the original Sam & Max is your best option I think. The puzzles are pretty easy and it's a wonderfully hilarious game. Also it's cheap on GOG.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Kings Quest III - Just make sure you type in the spell steps correctly. Everything else is a piece of cake.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Here's a varied list of point & clicks with a minimum amount of moon logic. It should be very difficult to get stuck on any of them:

Botanicula - This was the Czech developer Amanita Design's second official game, which does a complete 180 on the obtuse puzzles of its predecessor Machinarium. It's really more about letting yourself be enchanted by their distinct artstyle and visual storytelling.

Full Throttle - Lucasarts games were notoriously user-friendly, and Full Throttle may be the friendliest of the bunch.

Wolf Among Us - Telltale games strip down the puzzles and replace them with branching choices to enhance the story. Wolf Among Us is one of their most interesting ventures.

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - This totally counts as a point & click. Made by that Japanese kook known as Swery, D4 has the same touch of insanity as his other projects, but that insanity never takes the form of incomprehensible puzzles. Beware though, its an unfinished game that ends on a cliffhanger.

The Last Door - A Spanish dev with a talent for horror is responsible for this one. Its an acquired taste due to the blocky graphics intended to let your imagination do most of the scaring. The most difficult thing about the item combinations is working up the courage to use them.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I don't think I'll enjoy stuff like monkey island, or the old point and click adventure ones
I still recommend you play I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. The possible bugs and compatibility issues are almost like another puzzle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom