Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Master

Arbiter
Both styles look better than Disco Elysium thats for sure. Why not use both - first one is like grim reality and the second is what you see when youre jacked up on drugs/have agmented vision.

Jinn

Arcane
My first thought when I saw this on twitter was "I wonder if Joe and Hannah are worried about how the codex will react to this?"

While I enjoyed the initial style, I'm happy with this shift too. Whatever those two decide they need to do to ensure their dream comes to fruition, I support.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Can only re-state what I said earlier: this game is nigh impossible to follow, in that it changes art/direction so often it's hard to picture what to 'expect'. Even previous updates had radically different styles with each new screenshot.

If this is really the look they are going for...well, let's wait for next updates to clarify further.

In the end, I chose to (slacker) back this because the sci-fi/horror/RPG premise sounds super cool (wait, that hasn't changed right...RIGHT!?!":!?).

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, and I have backed this and would do it it again, probably. Just confused.

What I don't like is the horror aspect.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Why does grass grow there from a concrete sidewalk and why does everyone wear pink and violet?

Reminds me alot of Hard Boiled (comic that inspired Leonard Boyarsky while making Fallout)

fvo2gkrwzqpn.jpg

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't dislike it; I am concerned about what more entitled/less forgiving backers will think of it. You obviously don't go into business for yourself like this to make things people have already seen, though.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here on the codex some people will rant, but there, outside, the average gamer is going to like much more the new style and colour. Business wise, I think they have made the best choice by a long shot. If the game ends up working well is another discussion, but now they are on a better position to sell more.

And personally I quite like it the new style. It also opens much more possibilities to the world design than the old 4 different greys palette.

Reminds me also a bit to transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan_pg3.jpg

I hope they end with a success in their hands, they deserve it

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I want to see more of it before passing judgement. I wonder if it can do "dark", "gloomy" and "scary", because that's what I thought the tone of the game was primarily.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Whalenought_Joe please do not throw away the really cool atmospheric oldschool 3D look that you had going before this, the new style doesn't look half as good.

Oldschool 3D look was the first style presented in the Kickstarter pitch (looked like high res MGS or Vagrant Story), the one before this was basically the same like this one but without all the colours.
I prefer original style the most, but this latest is definitely an improvement compared to all others. I do think it might not fit the promised dark tone, but comic books they took the inspiration from weren't really deficit on that front either.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, the graphics weren't especially important to me then and they aren't now either, but I'm concerned that this back and forth is getting costly.

I agreed with you at first, but TBH I think they're using the same models over and over and just changing/experimenting with the texturing/colouring/lighting method.

oldstory

Novice
I'm curious if this game shown on E3 inspired them to change style:

It looks really good while animated in Sable. I hope it will look good in Copper Dreams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom