Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Cael

Arcane
The innate resistance to spend money on consumable weapons? It's prevalent in BG series and IWD1. But IWD2 goes counter to that trend and subtly reward players for spending money like water: fight and kill targets waaaaay out of their level range.

IT's basically a side effect of squatting levels and fight enemy of many levels above. By using lamp oils, magic ammo, you can do that and reap greater XP than if you level up and fight while saving money.

(note: throwing 6 lamp oil pots onto an Ice Golem Champion is very much indeedy burning money like mad)
I did a TT version of a battlefield nuclear apocalypse once. The DM was not amused, funnily enough.

Spend a month scribing Explosive Runes on to separate sheets of paper. Use all slots 3+ on it.
Bundle all the hundreds/thousands of papers into a loosely wrapped paper bundle.
Fire it at the enemy boss using a catapult or something similar. You just need to get it into the near vicinity.
Giggle like a maniac as the bundle of paper hits and explodes from the impact, scattering paper everywhere.
Use area Dispel Magic on the resulting mess of paper from a scroll.
Roll on floor laughing at the look on your DM's face.
Best use of a consumable ever.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Guise, I just fired up again Icewind Dale Compete Edition on Windows 7, but it crashes immediately. It didn't do anything like this before (on the same Windows 7 installation), and I have no problem with other IE games.

I've already tried the direct draw fix, experimented with compatibility settings, turned graphics acceleration on and off, assigned either Intel integrated graphics or Nvidia card, and all the combinations of these.

I'm out of options, any ideas?

Last edited:

the_shadow

Arcane
Guise, I just fired up again Icewind Dale Compete Edition on Windows 7, but it crashes immediately. It didn't do anything like this before (on the same Windows 7 installation), and I have no problem with other IE games.

I've already tried the direct draw fix, experimented with compatibility settings, turned graphics acceleration on and off, assigned either Intel integrated graphics or Nvidia card, and all the combinations of these.

Icewind Dale runs OK on Windows 7 for me, and I'm using the CD version. Did you get the game from GoG?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Erase the direct draw dll file inside the game folder. Worked for me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Which is why I'm against many of the +21 kits/prestige classes (some are ok). And the several others added by Beam-mutt.

poo.jpg

Just give me the base array and the ability to dual and multi; at the end of the day, it's enough. IWD wasn't balanced for this dross, anyway.

I just played around the Shadowdancer a bit in the EE. You can basically take anything by yourself. There's a short delay between each attempt at hiding in plain sight but that doesn't matter. Just back off and come back. I cleared all the goblins in Easthaven on insane with a level 1 Shadowdancer.

Great job there Beamshit. Of course, all the Bioware shit is just as retarded, starting with the fact you can reach grandmastery with any class that has at least a couple of levels in fighter.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Erase the direct draw dll file inside the game folder. Worked for me.
I forgot to mention, had tried that as well. Thanks anyways.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Icewind Dale runs OK on Windows 7 for me, and I'm using the CD version. Did you get the game from GoG?
Yes, it's the Gog version. What's weird is that I had it installed before, in this same Win 7 installation, and I had no problems with it. Go figure.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Upgrade your Windows. Works fine on W10 here :smug:
I have IWD2 on Win10 and haven't figured out how to run it properly yet (gog version) It comes with a ddraw fix already (but I also tried other fixes you'll find when googling the problem) , yet if you cast an AOE spell (entangle, web or so) the FPS tanks and the game feels like super slomo.
Anybody know how to fix that?

nobre

Cipher
IWD2 is somehow a bit different from IWD in that it more often doesn't work on newer machines/OS. Have only played IWD on W10, so couldn't help you with that.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I have IWD2 on Win10 and haven't figured out how to run it properly yet (gog version) It comes with a ddraw fix already (but I also tried other fixes you'll find when googling the problem) , yet if you cast an AOE spell (entangle, web or so) the FPS tanks and the game feels like super slomo.
While searching for info on IWD on Win7 I remember finding several times re-enabling/installing Direct Play as a solution for Win10 problems, unless you have tried that already.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Question I've asked over the years and never got an answer to: did stealth and move silently work the same in IWD2 as it did in other IE games?. Because in IWD2, I hid and then it seemed there was a timer until I left the shadows whenever there was an enemy on screen. It's been more than 8 years since I played but I think it was a single round. I remember using Dalekeeper to max my stealth, then I brought it down from the max (because of that bug in the BG series), then I even played the game to max level and focussed entirely on stealth - and the behaviour was always the same.
Then I tried it on humans becasue I thought they might have done something with (e.g. Goblins) that had infravision.

Kinda put me off playing it more than once. So am I retarded and totally missed something?. Whenever I asked this question in the past I just got a 'meh' in response. Hoping Codexian brow's arn't as sloped.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
While searching for info on IWD on Win7 I remember finding several times re-enabling/installing Direct Play as a solution for Win10 problems, unless you have tried that already.

More like you have to enable Direct Play directly under the Turn Windows Features on and off panel. Last version of Win10 i tried it was off by default.

Cael

Arcane
IWD2 is somehow a bit different from IWD in that it more often doesn't work on newer machines/OS. Have only played IWD on W10, so couldn't help you with that.
IWD2 works fine on my Win7 machine.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
More like you have to enable Direct Play directly under the Turn Windows Features on and off panel. Last version of Win10 i tried it was off by default.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Nope; you shall have to try harder to give me the retarded tag!. I just installed again - think it's been more than 10 years since I played. Rolled up a Ranger and Rogue, cheated in level 30 XP. Ranger has 26 DEX, 33 in sneak and move silently. Rogue has 18 DEX, 20 in sneak and move silently.
Turned off AI and patched to V2.1. They both fail hide after 1 round when I walk across to the first goblin. I even tried walking behind it (you may think I'm nuts but PST actually implemented line of sight - try it the next time you play - and enemy won't attack you if you're behind them).

So is this a bug? Am I missing something? Was it another balancing attempt by Sawyer?. It's annoying because now I actually wanna play the game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Brancaleone
Well, I still can't get stealth to behave as it did with every other IE game, so am assuming I'm suffering from temporary IWD2 inflicted retardation; because stealth doesn't work in this game for more than 1 round when an enemy is on screen because of a bug, or because it was intended by Sawyer.
Don't know why you quoted the other stuff though. ;)

the_shadow

Arcane

I had the same problem and it's easily fixed, but I can't remember what I did. Try getting rid of the 'translucent spell effects' in the IWD2 Configuration Utility. If that doesn't help, try disabling the environmental audio. It's got nothing to do with the game resolution.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Brancaleone Grampy_Bone
Actually I just realised I quoted the wrong post...

...However, as much as this does make me look like a drunk/retard, I still stand by the issue raised that stealth is broken.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom