Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Realms Beyond Combat Alpha Gameplay Video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ceres Games; Realms Beyond

Back in April, we got our first brief glimpse of footage from the upcoming Chaos Chronicles successor Realms Beyond. Today Ceres Games have published the first full-length gameplay video, a 26-minute long demonstration of the game's "combat alpha". The video shows a player party fighting against a band of orcs and a cave troll, a scenario we got a sneak preview of in a pair of screenshots published last month. The orcs are much sturdier than the goblins from the first video, making for a very long battle even after they're immobilized by a Web and Stinking Cloud early on.

If YouTube starts the video in low, blurry quality, please change the resolution manually to 1080p60 or 720p60.

Please be aware, due to the nature of alpha versions, the user interface (especially placeholder icons) and a other elements such as sounds, camera, FXs and animations are still work in progress and therefore not final.

If you wonder about the Wizard’s overcrowded spellbook: We made every spell available (according to his 9th level) for testing purposes. Under real circumstances, he wouldn’t had so many spells already unlocked.

We appreciate hearing your feedback and suggestions for improvements related to the combat system.

Also, based on your feedback to previously published screenshots, we reworked the ground terrain textures and the level itself to improve the readability of the scene.

Even with the help of a powerful summoned demon, the video cuts off before the troll is taken down. The game seems promising from a visual and technical perspective, but they're definitely going to have to work on the pacing.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Confirmed features:
- you can romance dragons
- multiple genders
- portraits based on developers and their friends and family, that is why they look retarded

#codexleaks

But can the dragons have both a double dick and a working cloaca? It's a hard pass for me otherwise.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I hope we can speed up combat animation. That first green ball spell was damn slow.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I told Peter to show off the speedup function because the animations are slow and people will want to speed them up during long combats, so I completely expected people to complain about this when he didn't include it in the video. Jarl was right again :M

We're likely going to do another combat video to show off the sped-up animations, and maybe the battle crowds (trash mobs moving as one instead of individually) too.

So expect another video to arrive soon-ish.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I told Peter to show off the speedup function because the animations are slow and people will want to speed them up during long combats, so I completely expected people to complain about this when he didn't include it in the video. Jarl was right again :M

We're likely going to do another combat video to show off the sped-up animations, and maybe the battle crowds (trash mobs moving as one instead of individually) too.

So expect another video to arrive soon-ish.
Give Kobolds and Goblins the ability from Pathfinder where they become swarmlings and each two that surround and attack same target give everyone else in that group a +1 bonus. So if 6 goblins surround and attack same target they all get a +3 bonus to attack. Makes them much more challenging to mid level parties.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The kobolds and goblins would already gain a flanking bonus for surrounding you.
That is not enough, give them more so mid level parties can actually be scared of swarms of goblins and kobolds. We faced these in PnP and it was way more fun than standard swarms. Suddenly your 20 to 23 AC that you got at those levels is not enough to let you kill them all easily.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The kobolds and goblins would already gain a flanking bonus for surrounding you.
That is not enough, give them more so mid level parties can actually be scared of swarms of goblins and kobolds. We faced these in PnP and it was way more fun than standard swarms. Suddenly your 20 to 23 AC that you got at those levels is not enough to let you kill them all easily.

And so low level parties can get completely ganked by mobs?

It's fine as it is now, and besides, we're not yet at the stage of finetuning the balance.

ArchAngel

Arcane

And so low level parties can get completely ganked by mobs?

It's fine as it is now, and besides, we're not yet at the stage of finetuning the balance.
Low level groups don't get swarmed by 50 to 100 goblins. The problem is that even those numbers are not really a challenge to mid level parties if you don't turn them into swarmlings.

ArchAngel

Arcane
We're not going to throw trash mobs of 100 goblins at you.
Of course you are not because mid game parties just trash them and it takes long and it is boring because it is not a challenge. Implement swarm bonuses for them and see mid level parties take them seriously, use real tactics and fear for their life. Those fights are still long but now they are different than 4 Troll fights and interesting.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So weird to see this after I fought basically the exact same battle with the exact same assets in Demons Age, but all I could do was auto-attack and cast like two spells...

Parallel projection
yes.png
It looks so appealing to play.

However, the game needs separate handling of general animation speed and missile speed. It was painful to watch stuff fly at their targets. Some of the animations are shit. And the colours could be a bit more vibrant. This looks way too washed out.

Also, this is stupid:

iGlIZpV.png

KpWBBuG.png

I hate to see it in almost any game with a hexagonal grid (exceptions notwithstanding).

Given the unit-to-tile-size ratios here, a character should be able to walk between/through friendlies to the nearest unoccupied tile on the other side. Maybe with some sort of penalty, depending on the situation. This could be too convoluted to implement with a square-grid but with a hexagonal grid, there is no excuse not to.

Even walking between/through hostiles should be an option with stat checks. Eg. player's dodge / evade, agility / dexterity vs. enemies' and whether they are already engaged to another target, equipment (heavy vs. light) and health, with a risk to trigger an attack of opportunity.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not sure what the penalty for a hex would be, but AP cost is usually 1.5x for that maneuver in a square/grid-based tbs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom