Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

madrigal

Augur
Holy moly, just beat MM8 today, fun times. Now to figure out how to play 6 and 7 without the dragon cheese...
Get the fly spell and attack monsters from range using turn based mode and flying high to dodge all enemy attacks.

I figured out I can bait attacks in fly mode and move up and down to dodge them in the Plane Between Planes in 8... :(
What more cheese do you need? It is not a hard game. You can hit enemies through walls using fire ring, if you are patient you can clear out the rooms before you even enter and you will never have to see any monsters in your might and magic game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
With Dircet X wrapper there's no glitches and it looks in-game the same as the Glide wrapper. Only downside is that the dgVoodoo logo is showing in the lower right corner.

You can disable the logo, in the dgVoodoo control panel it's in the DirectX tab, last option on the lower right (uncheck dgVoodoo Watermark).
rsz_2018-06-18_6xjj4w.jpg

Yes, that worked.
Now I use the Direct3D wrapper, 1024x768 (which I assume was the original resolution of MM7) and the "Stretched, Keep Aspect Ratio" option, and it looks perfect.
Only one problem: my party spins around.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I googled the problem and it seems to be a conflict with the mouselook feature of the GreyPatch.
It only happens when I enable Correct Aspect Ratio, or if I try very high resolutions like 1920x1080.

It looks good with default settings, except for the stretching which my inner autist doesn't like. Fortunately I'm not so autist that the stretching keeps me awake at night.

Unchecking "Capture Mouse" is supposed to fix the problem, but doesn't work for me.

EDIT: I think I hit the sweet spot with Scaling mode: Centered and resolution 1280x1024 (5:4 which is close enough and looks good enough).

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It looks quite good now.
Can't use IrfanView for screencapping, though, so had to download Fraps and use instead.

eGYnQyC.jpg

BTW, what's with the "Button" on the anvil?
Can't see that clicking on it did anything.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Ah, yes. Lloyd's Balista. That classic, iconic spell of the Might & Magic series. Always a favorite.

It's Lloyd's Beacon. And in Might & Magic X: Legacy, they changed it to "Spirit Beacon", since apparently Corak's old assistant is not part of that universe.

My bad, to my defense, i think i played some MM games in french or maybe i switched languages and i'm pretty sure in french it's "balise de lloyd", then my memory induced a terrible translation.
Lloyd's beacon / spirit beacon it is.

Still, they killed the fun making cities even bigger (as far as i remember) and putting shops in every corner while crippling the best teleport spell, not even talking about loading screens.

That's what i like about "the quest", the game doesn't even take 300 Mo space but there is no loading screen, graphics are decent, cities are huge but you get so many teleport locations (it's INT based) it's not an issue (no loading time, so you just teleport all the time)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Regarding MM6 vs MM7, one point in MM7's favour is that it's more tactical, with allies and not least how if you are quick you can storm the fort south of Harmondale and rain AOE spells on the goblin horde. Fun!

The Scavenger Hunt was not as tedious as I remembered, and I guess it's a nice tutorial for newbies, But shouldn't the tutorial really have been in MM6?

One downside of the sharper graphics in is that cave type dungeons look very sterile and not very organic.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Too bad dwarf tossing is not a skill in MM7.
It would have been useful in Stone City with the little assholes constantly blocking the way.
Yes, I know I can Yell at them, but it's not always effective.

Oh, and a piece of advice to anyone else planning to play MM7. Make sure you buy Bow skill for the entire party on the starting island, 'cause it will be your only chance for quite a while.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Too bad dwarf tossing is not a skill in MM7.
It would have been useful in Stone City with the little assholes constantly blocking the way.
Yes, I know I can Yell at them, but it's not always effective.

Oh, and a piece of advice to anyone else planning to play MM7. Make sure you buy Bow skill for the entire party on the starting island, 'cause it will be your only chance for quite a while.
What,why? You can just run to the elves and buy it,maybe even Harmmondale have it. It is cheaper on the starting island because you can bump the reputation a little bit,but not in accessible. Also i do the stone city after i have cleaned the human and elven lands,get a promotion or two done. The most important thing in this game is to get the arena battles done if you go for light side. Later on there is a quest that wants you finish 4-5 battles on knight and by the time you get the quest,those battles are mainly populated by titans and dragons. It is incredibly hard to finish it with high level party.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't meta game.
No bow skill to buy in Harmondale or Stone City.
What is meta about exploring? There is no reason to run for the stone city,the whole province is annoying on low level. Especially if you meet some diamond gargoyles,then you are fucked on all counts,there is no way that a low level party would have the MP and spells to bring one down.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm trying to not waste too much time, since it partly determines the score, so I'm exploring Barrow Downs.
The only problematic enemies so far are the Gogs, who target my sorceror with their fire bolts. The Medusae of Bracada sounds far more dangerous.

After my Monk got promoted and we found the quest item for the temple in Harmondale, my party headed back home, learnt all missing skills and spells, and now has to decide wether to head back to Barrow Downs or explore.
I think they will head for Erathia.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm trying to not waste too much time, since it partly determines the score, so I'm exploring Barrow Downs.
The only problematic enemies so far are the Gogs, who target my sorceror with their fire bolts. The Medusae of Bracada sounds far more dangerous.

After my Monk got promoted and we found the quest item for the temple in Harmondale, my party headed back home, learnt all missing skills and spells, and now has to decide wether to head back to Barrow Downs or explore.
I think they will head for Erathia.
Don't remind me of the borrows,i was always trying to visit at level 30 or something similar. Writing down which borrow i had explored was annoying,especially when you have three quests there. The medusas weren't that big of a deal if you know how to cheese them or rush them. I hated the lower level medusas because they paralysed you,it is harder to notice and cure. MM7 does have some challenging dungeons to clear.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, I was thinking of buying the skill, but I was too miserly and figured I would get the chance soon enough. I should have gone with my first instinct. After all "you know what you have, but not what you get".

But yes, you do have a point there.

Last edited:

Curratum

Started 7 again, hit a wall a little later than I did last time around. Cleaned Harmondale, killed the goblins on the map as well, cleaned a good portion of Barrow Downs overworld, got to Stone City and got a quest in Barcada. Went to Barcada, got my ass kicked by griffons. Sort of no idea where to go to next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom