Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The "Bless" spell effect is really cool :) overall I really like it!

I mostly look forward to seeing that "lots of simple enemies moving in one go" bit.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I found it more hilarious how the rogue or whatever was that in the back was mostly useless whole fight. Doing ping ping for 1 to 4 damage per round. On the other hand mage and priest were controlling the field and summoning demons that did more damage than the barbarian :D

I wish this was 5e game instead, less dependant on spellcasters doing everything.

Bara

Arcane
In motion this looks a lot better than the first screen shots.

The wait for this game is gona drive me nuts.

If I could make one request, once the games done and released maybe a post release content of some kind of arena mode? I would love to delve into the combat without going through the story multiple times.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In motion this looks a lot better than the first screen shots.

The wait for this game is gona drive me nuts.

If I could make one request, once the games done and released maybe a post release content of some kind of arena mode? I would love to delve into the combat without going through the story multiple times.

Considering that our story won't be linear and as soon as the player is out of the starting area, the entire world will be open for exploration right away (with some regions having stronger enemies than other regions, but that's not linear either - like the first realm you're in has low level enemies, the second realm mid level enemies, the third realm high level enemies; rather, the strength of enemies is based on the distance from larger settlements and there may very well be a level 10 dungeon in one of the earlier areas you explore, which you will have to return to later in the game rather than tackle right away).

We have about 5 regions in the game and nothing's stopping you from completely ignoring anything that smells like a mainquest and go wherever you want from the get-go. And since our plot isn't about an immediate threat to the world that has to be stopped right now or else, going out exploring at your own pace while ignoring quests doesn't even clash with the storyline like it did in, say, Oblivion (demonic invasion is imminent! but you can take your time and pick flowers instead, nothing's going to happen lol).

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Some time-limited sidequests maybe ? Not only to resolve them but also to trigger them (being at the right place at the right time) ?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yes there will be sidequests with a time limit. I'd say about 50% of the sidequests I designed up to now have a time-limit or a time-based element to them (things like, if you manage to find the lair of the bad guys within 10 days you can rescue all the hostages, if you take longer they've been killed by the bad guys, so you get a sub-optimal resolution for the quest (killed the bad guys but didn't rescue the hostages, gain a lesser reward than if you had rescued the hostages in time)).

Not going to spoil any actual quests yet, but you'll see a huge variety in sidequests. Some will have no time limit, some a generous time limit, some a more pressing time limit, some will have minor elements that change based on how long you take (like, a guide offers to show you the way but he'll only stay in town for a week, if you don't take up his offer until then you'll have to find the way yourself), some will be quick and simple affairs, others will have multiple quest stages to them, some will be centered on stealth, some on combat, some on exploration, some on NPC interaction.

If there's one thing you can be sure about, it's that you'll find a lot more interesting and varied quests than just generic "go to X and kill Y" or "deliver X to Y" fare.
But those simpler quests will also exist, of course, because the point of variety is that it's varied.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Newfags will rage hard if they can't do everything optimally in a single run.

Oh yeah, some quests will also have different outcomes, and not all of them are optimal. You can partially screw up a quest and receive a reduced reward (like, accidentally killed one of the hostages you were supposed to save because you just couldn't resist using that area effect spell), and there are quests that may ruin your reputation with another questgiver (I'm writing a quest where a young woman whose parents have arranged a marriage for her wants to become a priestess, and you can help her fulfill her dream of joining the temple, but of course that's going to make her ineligible for marriage, and her dad's gonna be really pissed at you, and he's an influential merchant who would have had a quest for you if you hadn't gotten him pissed...), so I guess if you want that perfect 100% playthrough you have to wait for a detailed walkthrough.

Does the time you spend in combat count towards the time limits?

Yeah I know you're probably making a quip about the slow combat animations (don't worry, I'll pressure Peter into making another video where we show off our ULTRA HIGH SPEED mode), but serious answer: time limits are measured in in-game days, and timed events are also based on the passage of in-game days.

Most of the time it'll be a simple matter of "player has heard about this quest, timer starts, if 5 in-game days pass, trigger quest state X".

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Is web supposed to last forever?

According to D&D rules, web lasts 100 turns per level. Yes, that's a lot. And yes, I just checked the rulebook again.

But no worries, web can be burned away with a fireball!
But what prevents you to reduce its duration, as after all it's not 100%DD but OGL? What happens when the party is totally caught (or even partially) in web from an enemy spellcaster and thus have no solution to burn the web except by casting a fireball assuming the party-wizard isn't entangled? Entangled for too long is not fun at all.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Okay with non-linearity of zones and quests changing via time passage/order I can agree a arena like mode is unnecessary. You've got my hopes high for this one Jarl!

Lhynn

Arcane
Looks really good. The concerns about this being a caster game are real tho, will this be changed or should we just not bother with non casters?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Is web supposed to last forever?

According to D&D rules, web lasts 100 turns per level. Yes, that's a lot. And yes, I just checked the rulebook again.

But no worries, web can be burned away with a fireball!
But what prevents you to reduce its duration, as after all it's not 100%DD but OGL? What happens when the party is totally caught (or even partially) in web from an enemy spellcaster and thus have no solution to burn the web except by casting a fireball assuming the party-wizard isn't entangled? Entangled for too long is not fun at all.

Yeah we're thinking of reducing the duration of web, we're still going to playtest it a bit more. Now that I think about it, in PC game implementations of D&D web usually doesn't have that long a duration so yeah.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I found it more hilarious how the rogue or whatever was that in the back was mostly useless whole fight.
I noticed that too and the dwarf who was missing all the time and how the summoned creature was the stronkest DPS.
I mean the enemies are caught in web and stinking cloud that should be sneak attacks galore for the rogue, Are sneak dice implemented yet?
What range have you on sneak attacks with ranged weapons? Was the rogue too far away for sneak attacks? Explain thyself JarlFrank

Now that I think about it, in PC game implementations of D&D web usually doesn't have that long a duration so yeah.
1 turn (10 combat rounds) per caster lvl?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I found it more hilarious how the rogue or whatever was that in the back was mostly useless whole fight.
I noticed that too and the dwarf who was missing all the time and how the summoned creature was the stronkest DPS.
I mean the enemies are caught in web and stinking cloud that should be sneak attacks galore for the rogue, Are sneak dice implemented yet?
What range have you on sneak attacks with ranged weapons? Was the rogue too far away for sneak attacks? Explain thyself JarlFrank

The rogue sucked because he only had a terrible non-enchanted light crossbow, while the other characters had nice enchanted weapons. That's why his damage output was pitiful in comparison. Sneak attack is currently work-in-progress, it's not fully implemented yet, that's why we couldn't show off the rogue properly yet.

As for the dwarf, we just checked our setup and oops - he wore heavy armor and didn't have heavy armor proficiency, which means he got a massive to-hit malus. That explains his bad luck. :lol:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Minor issue which somehow stood out to me: the birds suddenly flying over the battlefield were kinda irritating.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
The rogue sucked because he only had a terrible non-enchanted light crossbow, while the other characters had nice enchanted weapons.
That's noticable, especially with that 3rd level lady with the fire sword who managed to be more useful.
Edit: oops, jusr re-checked the video. She is actually level 4. Still the most low-level member of the party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom