Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Actually decent mobile RPGs (that aren't just ports from superior platforms)?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Are there any worth note? I know Square Enix has released a bunch of FF games, but their quality seems dubious. Are there are any other offerings that were actually built for mobile yet don't suck?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Demon's Rise is a decent enough tactical rpg, especially considering the price (2 dollars).

It's a pure amateur game so set your expectations accordingly. You pick your party from a roster of 25, do a stage where you gotta kill all enemies (map and enemy variety is pretty decent but map objectives certainly ain't) then buy items and gear up your party, rinse and repeat until you reach the end. Don't expect miracles or anything beyond the basic gameplay loop i just describe and you have a perfectly serviceable time waster for when using public transport or w/e.

Also hum..

Warhammer quest? Technically it is the pc version that's the inferior port. I never played it on mobile but from my understanding mobile version has all the goodies and dlc (ah yeh, open your wallet btw, you will be paying more then the initial asking price) whereas they stopped supporting the pc version entirely and is missing content.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
EDIT: I forgot Tales of Illyria, FFS.

Eryfkrad is right. That game is pretty good (I even reviewed it for The Codex). The second part (Beyond the Iron Wall) is even better. I have not played the third one.

Apart from those, I have only played one non-port mobile RPG that was not complete shit of freemium waste of time (or both), and it is a bit of a stretch to even call it an RPG since the combat system is 1-on-1 JRPG style and you do not do much in the game apart from combat, but I had some decent fun with it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KrimeMedia.VampiresFall&hl=en

VJ6v3YHMl1VJ9eH1t97smAgnU5God6_A3keZcjsYvsfhW1eQijrhopTqB3xHooTgoA=w720-h310

GPLnWrMcL5JAo7DbaoTYNXafy3B5cKe5RMzOAqYQRWjetVGGJrCh5SqGbnXyBZxoYw=w720-h310

GYReNUgAsemstDWTov0aTXwm1iy36oqbVcTpHTTl5DLd9_HgdObmuCnl85rJ7EU12LpQ=w720-h310

JRPNLOSfBtp_tqjVU_Z1bfUbulfRgnu7MFOsCuTyQPjDAjraV4WlM-gNQJ0mOU2gi00=w720-h310

E2wGDpo4XbrMF1zp_40cpHpPH5N-LwKks3xCN6XuXYKcdJvc1-JPyJ3OIddamaKdKg=w720-h310

---

Since then I am sticking to emulators and ports from PC. Guild of Dungeoneering is pretty fun, if very simple.

Last edited:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Exiled Kingdoms is great on hard difficulty. It's like a cross between BG and Diablo with certain other elements. You have to make some tough choices too.

Lhynn

Arcane
Been playing tactical monsters and its pretty amazing for what it is. Theres a ton of depth and its the kind of game you can pick up whenever and drop whenever.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
For years I've been looking for good RPGs on Android. Hundreds of times I've swiped through the catalogue on Google Play, and countless lists of "TOP 10 RPGs" lists I've seen.

I think people have(excuse me for my french) shit taste. Either that, or there's something inherently bad about the whole mobile experience which forces both developers and players to always produce and play the most grindy, recicled, uninspiring and unoriginal titles possible. The store is just trimming with them.

I mean, I know it's a somewhat easy way to make money, but I can't believe the business model of producing copy after copy of generic games made with generic assets is just THAT profitable. There must be hundreds of Final Fantasy Tactics clones, but how many of them are actually GOOD games?

Why is it so hard to find a game with a serious(and at least passable) story and graphics? All I want is some tactical RPG which takes itself somewhat serious, has a little customization and some semblance of freedom of choice. Not having anime graphics and not being bug infested would be good things as well.

Anyway... Those are the games I would recommend, according to the parameters specified on the thread:

Templar Battleforce: In a world filled with shit mobile games, these guys are at least trying. Yes, you can say that most of their games are reinterpretations of classics from the past and that they are paying obvious homage to IPs they like(Warhammer 40k in this case), but their games are fun and ironically manage to be more original than the absurd majority of games available for the platform. This one in particular you command a squad of "Not-Space Marines" in a series of missions with tactical combat.

Tales of Illyria: It's just fun. People have mentioned it already, and I do recommend the game. I think it could improve with more choices and a more original plot(at least the one I played), but the whole idea behind the game and its gameplay elements really fit with mobile without compromising its RPG elements.

Occidental Heroes: Now, that's what I'm talking about. Exploration, Tactica/Puzzly combat, permadeath, serious setting with an unforgiving world, lots of freedom. The creator of the game posted about it on RPG Codex once, and of course there were a few people shitting on it for no good reason. This game was still in development last time I checked, but with a little more polish it would probably be my favorite on the medium.

Reigns: Very fun, although silly. You play as a succession of rulers(every time you die you play as the next one and the timeline is updated) and deal with random events that come as cards(which you basically swipe left and right for Yes and No answers). The objective of the game is to keep Church, Peasants, Military and Nobility happy... but not too happy, or they'll take you over. Highly recommend it.

You Must Build a Boat: A mix of dungeon crawler with puzzle. It's silly as hell, but has a nice gameplay and sense of progression.

Void Pyramid:
Its also kinda silly, but in a nostalgic way, and has "vaporwave aesthetics". Simple and honest dungeon crawler with addictive music.

Out There: Some people describe it as a poor man's FTL, but it doesn't have the crew management aspect. It's a game about exploring and surviving on space where you try to manage your resources and deal with the random events that pop up.

Seedship: Interactive Fiction made quick. Lots of variables, numbers and randomizing make it so that it doesn't read as a book. Basically its a colony ship simulator where you play as the AI trying to find the right planet for the humans to settle and prosper.

Also, if you're into that sort of thing, there are a lot of Interactive Fiction games available for mobile. I also think it's the best way to play them. Check Choice of Games/Hosted Games catalog.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Six Ages, King of the Dragon Pass sequel will be released for iOS this month, and for PC next year, so I suppose it's natively a mobile game.

Lhynn

Arcane
Gurk I, II, and III are fairly good, especially the third one. Decknight is fun.

Then the other decent games are the text based CYOAs, some are fun, most are shit, especially the free ones.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I heard the Elder Scrolls mobile games were quite enjoyable.

I don't know if they're RPGs or not though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom