Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Momock

Augur
uhhhh why do we need cover systems in a FPS

Because a controler doesn't have enouth spare buttons to lean unless the game simplifies other things.
rainbow six siege , an fps with better combat than this game , has leaning on a controller with buttons.

Battlefield 4 and onwards, has contextual leaning on console.

Dishonored games have leaning on controller.

PUBG has it too
They're just shooters. I guess a RPG needs more buttons to do more important shit than leaning, that's all.

Gerrard

Arcane
Infinitron
0bThhDB.jpg
1366064-ubwcz.jpg

TES II: Daggerfall :salute:
62K square miles of emptiness and copy-paste towns. Funny how people only bitch about that when it comes to their recent games.

Quillon

Arcane
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/20/17484072/cyberpunk-2077-the-witcher-crossover

“So,” I said, “when should players of Cyberpunk 2077 expect to bump into Ciri?”

“Oh, Jesus,” said Badowski, putting his head in his hands.

“Your favorite question!” chided Iwiński with a broad, silent smile on his face.

“I hate this question,” Badowski moaned.

“We are not Kingdom Hearts,” he told me. “We are not joining universes, and I know that there are a lot of fans on the team and they would like to have Ciri in the game. But I am totally against it, still.”

“Maybe you will change your mind,” said Iwiński, putting his hand on Badowski’s shoulder, before turning to me. “There is a little hope there.”

A-fucking-men.

Badowski is my fav CDPR dev now :D

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I hope they have a playable demo or something at Gamescom. Going to be the first conference I go to so that would be cool.

It will probably;y not happen but still :))

You are now on a quest to go into that dungeon and bring booty back to the codex. Start preparing equipment.

Quillon

Arcane
if ciri was ever in cyberpunk world why didnt she just steal a bazooka and blast eredin and his puny ship with it?
Cos it ain't easy stealing a bazooka, there are cameras everywhere yo! She prolly didn't even know what a bazooka is nor where to find one nor the language weird earthers speak & Avallach was prolly smart enough not to stay in a dangerous city where riots and whatnot occurred frequently nor got in contact with the local weird life anymore than they had to. Also she was bullshitting Geralt, she's just imaginative & compulsive liar.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
And if there's anything Mills hopes other developers learn from Cyberpunk 2077, it's that quest design as a discipline is "important," and deserves to be recognized in job roles and team structure. "Quest design is not level design. It's not story design. It's not cinematic design. It's--it's a job that combines those things and facilitates and coordinates those teams."

"This is the first place I've ever had this specific breakdown of responsibilities. It's how we make our quests, by having dedicated quest designers who are, in essence, directors of the many individual stories that a story is made up of."

:obviously:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Systems specs of the PC that ran behind the closed doors demo according to CDPR's representative on Discord:

e_E4cic_U6gi_TARULWDr_Tud_F-650-80.jpg

Thoughts?

Latelistener

Arcane
Thoughts?
Pretty standard modern high-end PC.
I read they ran it at 1080p, so 1080 Ti looks a bit scary, but by the time it will come out it will be a middle-end card.
Although considering that it's CDP I wouldn't be so quick to trust them. It could be Core i9-7900X (10/20) paired with 1080 Ti in SLI.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Who cares on wihat supercomputer the demo ran? Witcher 3 was playable on pretty much every PC that had a Direct X 11 Crad if you just lower the settings enough, since they are using the same engine I am pretty sure it will be optimized again since CD Project actually cares about their customers.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Systems specs of the PC that ran behind the closed doors demo according to CDPR's representative on Discord:

e_E4cic_U6gi_TARULWDr_Tud_F-650-80.jpg

Thoughts?

My potato cannot handle that. Not that I plan on buying it for now.

Pretty standard modern high-end PC.
I read they ran it at 1080p, so 1080 Ti looks a bit scary, but by the time it will come out it will be a middle-end card.
Although considering that it's CDP I wouldn't be so quick to trust them. It could be Core i9-7900X (10/20) paired with 1080 Ti in SLI.

Who cares on wihat supercomputer the demo ran? Witcher 3 was playable on pretty much every PC that had a Direct X 11 Crad if you just lower the settings enough, since they are using the same engine I am pretty sure it will be optimized again since CD Project actually cares about their customers.
Keep in mind two things:
1. The game is far from the optimized pre-release state.
2. They were running the demo at 4K :)

Also, remember the Witcher 3 downgrade, a CP2077 downgrade is not out of the question.

All this being said, I guess I'll finally have to upgrade my trusty GTX780 :)

Quillon

Arcane
As long as it comes out for this gen of consoles, current average PCs should be able to run it also, in lower settings whatever.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I considered upgrading my CPU to something more recent aka Coffee Lake generation, but that also means replacing my ancient motherboard and new ones have DDR4 RAM which is A) still overpriced and B) not compatible with DDR3 sticks. Basically, buying a 150€ processor balloons so I'll hold off for now. This isn't coming out any time soon as it is.

By the time it is out six-dimensional string-based quantum supercomputers that run on black holes will be common so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Kotaku said:
Sometimes you go into a game demo, and it’s just absolutely not what you were expecting.

After a trailer for CD Projekt Red’s next game, Cyberpunk 2077, appeared at the end of Xbox’s E3 press conference, I agreed with the author William Gibson, who said that it looked like GTA in an 80s retro-future. Where he seemed pretty down on that whole concept, I thought it sounded brilliant. After that colorful trailer showing the life of a science-fiction city bathed in sunlight rather than enveloped in fog or drenched in rain in the middle of a perpetual night, I was expecting a kind of cyberpunk San Andreas: violent and grimy, sure, but perhaps brighter and even more humorous than your typical grimdark cyberpunk setting.

Cyberpunk 2077 is not that. The E3 demo that its developers showed behind closed doors last week leans enthusiastically into the grimmest things about its aesthetic: drugs, guns, violence, sexual exploitation, et cetera. It’s also a first-person game whose combat revolves around shooting, which immediately killed off the Witcher-but-science-fiction fantasy that I’ve been quietly nurturing since the The Witcher 3 came out in 2015. Cyberpunk as a concept is the antithesis to utopian science fiction, so I was never expecting a city with gleaming white buildings and a happy, well-adjusted populace, but I was hoping for something that explores the issues of an unequal future society in a way that felt fresh.

There was nothing whatsoever in the demo’s future that I hadn’t seen before. Gangs that kidnap and kill people to harvest and sell their augments. Mercenaries who’ll kill whomever for the credits. Crime syndicates with a stranglehold on the city. A black-market gang whose embrace of cybernetic augments takes them further and further away from “human.” The hard-boiled female protagonist who joins in, seemingly uncritically, with a cycle of violence and machismo. Naked, almost-dead women. Brothels, black markets, dodgy backdoor cybernetics doctors.

It reminded me, unfortunately, of Altered Carbon, a Netflix series that looks cool and has a great premise, but is shallow as a puddle, uninterested in delving below the surface of the cyberpunk aesthetic to actually say much beyond “rich people are bad.” (It’s also very fond of showing mutilated young women). Just once I would love to see a cyberpunk vision in which violence wasn’t the answer to everything.

Cyberpunk is popularly described as the marriage of high-tech and low-life: there are so many aspects of this that remain unexplored. In a cybernetic future, how would people embrace body modification as self-expression and self-empowerment? How could body augmentation erase or flip the gender, race, ability, wealth and other inequalities in our current society? How would people live within and fight against a corrupt corporate system, rather than embracing it? There’s so much more to say about how technology can humanise us in the face of corporations that exert their power through dehumanisation—a common theme in this genre. I’m hopeful that some of this will be explored in the actual game, but there was no sign of it in this first showing.

The Witcher 3—one of my top three games of all time—is expert at employing and subverting fantasy-genre tropes to say interesting things about its world and characters. Its world, too, is rife with corruption and hypocrisy, but it feels so unpredictable and full of possibility. E3 demos usually emphasise action over everything else, and are forced to cram a lot of material into a short period of time, but an hour of Cyberpunk 2077 didn’t show me anything about Night City that surprised me. I remember the first time I saw The Witcher 3, in a similar hour-long demo at E3 2014; within 15 minutes we were done with riding through a medieval-style town and heading to the wilderness to restore the voice of an unnervingly weird, mute, child-like swamp creature, and talk to some witches in a tapestry in a village full of suspiciously unaccompanied children. That was unexpected.

From those first moments, it was made clear that this fantasy game wouldn’t fall back on orcs and mages. I remember being impressed, when I first played it six months later, that it treated me like an adult rather than pretending at maturity by toning up the boobs and gore. I want the same from Cyberpunk; I want to meet characters who aren’t criminal leaders, emotionless mercenaries, or corporate stooges, and experience storylines that don’t revolve around shooting people up or intimidating them with violence. Consequently the demo left me a little cold.

CD Projekt is a developer that has shown great range, intelligence and talent. Cringeworthy collectible sex cards from the first Witcher game notwithstanding, it has been on an upward trajectory for its whole existence when it comes to making games with maturity, thematic depth and moral ambiguity. I am certain that there will be more to Cyberpunk 2077 than shooting, swearing and upgrading generic augments. I’m clearly not going to get that retro-futuristic, third-person open-world RPG that I was briefly imagining, but I still want to see how Cyberpunk 2077 innovates within its setting.

Quillon

Arcane
Tell that Kotaku guy/gal to stick with Wash Dawgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom