Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for name of 2 old niche games.

Perkel

Arcane
I swear there was dex thread in which you can ask for those games names you don't remember and i am 90% sure i even asked about those two but i can't find this thread or my memory is fucked.
Either way:

GAME1:

4x game in vein of Master of Orion, probably from germans. 2D, you could build on sufrace of planet similar to stellaris, it was more economy focused as you could produce various stuff like titanium etc from which you made ships and so on.

GAME2:

Deathmatch/teamdeathmatch with tanks. Destructible terrain, various weapon pickups and most funny weapon was nuke that played music when you fired it. 3D game with TPP conrols.

All help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There've been several versions of Game 2, the only name I can remember is Scorched Earth.

Perkel

Arcane
There've been several versions of Game 2, the only name I can remember is Scorched Earth.

This game is 3D TPP. Not like worms.

Game 1: Fragile Allegiance or Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain?

FA nope.

PAX imperia:Eminent Domain is VERY CLOSE SHOT.
It is very similar but my game it think was turn based.
I think you also moved via black holes. Planet view was static not as a animated movie.
Map is very close to mentioned by me game almost identical though i think planet didn't move.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, game 1 sound like Deadlock 1. I think Deadlock 2: Shrine of War has the surface cities animated slightly, so it's the 1 not 2.

Although not moving by black hole. If that is actual mechanic in game it's totally not DL series.

Perkel

Arcane
Nope not Deadlock. View of city on planet isn't isometric. It is more like HOMM.
There are various biomes and this decides what resources you can produce.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I swear there was dex thread in which you can ask for those games names you don't remember and i am 90% sure i even asked about those two but i can't find this thread or my memory is fucked.

*cough*

(INB4 inevitable inbound Infinitron merger)

Perkel

Arcane
Did Game 1 have a fixed storyline you moved through? A la the original Dune? I'm thinking of Alien Legacy then or Maelstrom.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/alien-legacy-21h

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/541/Maelstrom.html

Game 2 sounds like it might have been an Armored Fist game.

http://www.novalogic.com/games.asp?GameKey=AF3

None of these. That tank game isn't serious. That doesn't mean tanks are cartoony or something but this isn't simulation of modern combat. It is much more comparable to Q3 deathmatch.

You need to provide every detail you remember.
You didn't even say if it was turn based, or real time.

I am pretty sure space game was turn based. Didn't find that important since almost all 4x games of that era are turn based.

In case of time we are talking about something from 98-2003 i believe. Defitnetely on windows 98 or xp.

lightbane

Arcane
None of these. That tank game isn't serious. That doesn't mean tanks are cartoony or something but this isn't simulation of modern combat. It is much more comparable to Q3 deathmatch.

Battletanx?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Could still be an Armored Fist game. They are much more arcadey than a real sim. "Devastate hordes of advanced AI infantry with your turret mounted M2 50 Caliber machine-gun or simply run em\' over with your 70 tons of rolling steel!" is kind of how they try to sell this one. Basically a shooter like Desert Strike but in 3d and with a tank. Dunno if it has MP though. After the first Iraq war there was also a 3d tank game. Very arcadey in which you drove through a set level, blowing shit up. I think it was around the rise of the first Voodoo graphic cards. Looked great at the time, very simple gameplay tho. Can't really remember what it was.

Tried my best, but can't really think of any 4x games as well. I'd say go and check some abandonware sites. Stuff like Spaceward Ho! and such was around since before MoO and could be it. Space Empires comes to mind as well. There are lots of 4x niche games from the late 80's and 90's. Most are forgotten for a reason tho.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Did Game 1 have a fixed storyline you moved through? A la the original Dune? I'm thinking of Alien Legacy then or Maelstrom.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/alien-legacy-21h

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/541/Maelstrom.html

Game 2 sounds like it might have been an Armored Fist game.

http://www.novalogic.com/games.asp?GameKey=AF3

You need to provide every detail you remember.
You didn't even say if it was turn based, or real time.

I am pretty sure space game was turn based. Didn't find that important since almost all 4x games of that era are turn based.

In case of time we are talking about something from 98-2003 i believe. Defitnetely on windows 98 or xp.
So was combat real time, and were mines in?

Perkel

Arcane
Could still be an Armored Fist game. They are much more arcadey than a real sim. "Devastate hordes of advanced AI infantry

no enemy AI or campaign. Just deathmatch with bots or multi.

Tried my best, but can't really think of any 4x games as well. I'd say go and check some abandonware sites. Stuff like Spaceward Ho! and such was around since before MoO and could be it. Space Empires comes to mind as well. There are lots of 4x niche games from the late 80's and 90's. Most are forgotten for a reason tho.

Definitely after MoO. As i said something around 00

Battletanx?

It was on grassy stage and whole world was destructible, if you for example fired up nuke huge crater would show up.

As for those pick up weapons:

- drill mounted on side of tank
- minigun also on side of tank
- nuke with melody

Perkel

Arcane
Ok guys if found both ! I seriously started to research that shit and managed to found it after like 5 hours.
BOTH GAMES were made free by developers

First game is called:
Star Knights
http://starknights.com/
I played demo but devs made it online game (but you can play with AI no problem)
Oh man i know what i will be playing now.

screenLandscapePlainBig.jpg

screenShipyard2Big.jpg

screenCombat2Big.jpg

Second game:

Tread Marks
http://www.longbowgames.com/treadmarks/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom