Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gruncheon

Savant
No, the citation that's needed is that Cyberpunk will necessarily be larger as well. They've explicitly said that they're taking a different approach to map design than the Witcher 3, going vertically instead of horizontally.

I'm interested to see what they come up with, can't think of any open world game that's gone big into the verticality thing. I doubt CDPR is up to it, but it'd be cool if they could bring in some of the freeform structure of the PS2 GTAs to the missions here.

Quillon

Arcane

This trailer analysis is too good

Does spanish accent usually sound like this? Thought she was japanese. Video was really good tho I nearly closed the tab at the beginning, thought it was some auto-voice shit :P

edit: shite, looked at other videos of her, another fucking white hair or the same one? fuck :D

Paul_cz

Arcane
Thanks Mike.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-why-cyberpunk-2077-had-to-be-a-first-person-/1100-6459843/

Here's Why Cyberpunk 2077 Had To Be A First-Person Game

Cyberpunk 2077 has been one of the most talked about games of E3 2018. With the reveal of a new trailer at the Microsoft Press Conference, showcasing many of the vibrant and equally grim locales in the game, the developers at CD Projekt Red have gradually painted a clearer picture of their highly anticipated RPG. We had the chance to check out a private demo, and saw just how ambitious and impressive the world of Cyberpunk 2077 is.

Based on the original Cyberpunk 2020 pen and paper RPG, its creator Mike Pondsmith has been a regular collaborator with CD Projekt Red on the new game, which he states has been an amazing experience. During E3 2018, we were able to talk with the creator about the development of the game, his work with the Witcher devs, and just how much effort goes into bringing Cyberpunk 2077 to life.

For more info on CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077, and all other games we saw during E3 2018, be sure to visit GameSpot's E3 Hub page.

Can you talk about the collaborative process of working with CD Projekt Red on fleshing out the fiction of Cyberpunk for 2077?

Mike Pondsmith: Well, to be honest, it was actually pretty simple because of part of my job. I'm there to tell people what makes the world in the books work. What makes the original pen and paper work. Things we learned about it, styles, to reinforce the ideas that are really valuable about it, for example, people commented in the various reaction videos, people have seen beyond the trailer, but they've actually seen the play.

How dense things are, and that's because Night City is basically a major character in the world and they nailed it. They nailed that whole sense that the city itself, it doesn't just sleep, it comes, it beats you up, it robs you, it takes your money. So, part of my job is to make sure people are able to see that, I'm there on call, kind of like a walking encyclopedia, when people not only need to know the facts that would be in any of the dozens and dozens of cyberpunk wikis out there, but they need to know what the 'feel' is. They need to know what was important. So, that's part of my job.

I love it because I get involved with the art teams, I get involved with the animation teams, I get involved with the vehicle teams, the weapons teams, everybody in the group, and it's a huge group now, is there to talk to and exchange ideas and it's more than just you approve it. It becomes, "Okay, so how does this work, what do you think about it." It's been very inclusive, which I really have enjoyed.

From the trailer, you can tell that the game has very colorful and vibrant look. Usually when you think of the Cyberpunk genre, it tends to have a darker aesthetic. This game in particular feels like a clear change from that.

And that was actually intentional from the beginning of the original cyberpunk. Don't get me wrong. My favorite movie is Blade Runner. I have five different versions of Blade Runner, and more Blade Runner stuff than I could shake a stick at, but sometimes you need to have it not just be wet, rainy, cold and totally oppressive, because there isn't new ground for your characters to go to. There's not new ground for people to explore.

Cyberpunk 2020 creator Mike Pondsmith.
It's funny, people occasionally realize that I set Night City in what was effectively Bay Area California years ago. That was deliberate. I wanted a place where sometimes you have oppressive fog and half light. Sometimes it was bright and sunny, sometimes it was rainy and miserable. I wanted that variability because a real world has variability. If somebody were to ask me what my favorite time in Night City is, it's basically around six or seven o'clock when the sun is almost down, the lights are coming out and you see all the neon and I'm looking at my 234 floor apartment and going, "Okay, get my stuff, let's go out."

You need to have a lot of variation to make a real world. You don't necessarily have to have that in a Blade Runner, because you're only taking basically a small slice of what's happened day to day in that world. I also think that you need to vary it and change it up a bit because otherwise, people get what they expect and when people get what they expect, they tune it out. They go, "Oh yeah, another cyberpunk thing."

From the beginning, the RPG has been designed as part cyberpunk classic, part rock and roll fable, part hell raising, ass kicking crazy. It's a lot of things. All of them are valid. It's not one thing, one genre, otherwise we could do one book and we could all go home. When I wrote the original books, that was the idea, was I wanted to show a lot of different facets. I had to. I had to, because I was saying in another interview, when I look at Blade Runner, but I look at it and go--the hero of Blade Runner is Roy Batty.

Weirdly enough, Deckert is, he's a protag, but you don't want to be Deckert, because Deckert gets kicked around and he does not ever win against the system, but at the end of it, Batty--even though he dies--he wins on his own terms. He isn't gunned down like a dog. He wins his humanity. He is basically, what I believe, an archetypical cyberpunk character, you pick what you believe and you stand for it.

Do you feel like CD Projekt Red brought a lot to the table in helping you flesh out the fiction of Cyberpunk 2020?

Oh yeah. CD's incredibly collaborative and I love it because they come and go, "Hey, we want to do this," and I'll go, "Hey, that's insane, I never thought of that before, yeah, what the heck." There are so many I can't even count, but it's really great when I go over to Warsaw and we're walking around the studio and somebody say, "We're going to be doing this," and I'm going, "Hmm. Okay, that's really pretty slick. How about if we also did that?" "Yeah, that's pretty good." We throw stuff back and forth.

I love the fact that they do dense stuff. When we first were checking them out to see whether we wanted to go with them as a licensee, we got a copy of Witcher. This is Witcher 2 and I went, "Damn, this is really good." One of my jobs at Microsoft was basically dealing with external studios, so I was pretty aware of what to look for and I went, "These guys really have their stuff together." Then, we saw Witcher 3 and it was like, "Oh my God. This is really on that master class level." It impacted us so much that my son and other members of the company came to me when CD PR was looking for somebody to do a Witcher table top, they said, "You know anybody?" I said, "We don't do fantasy," and they said, "No, we're doing this." They put together a pitch.

My son went, put together a pitch, went to CD PR during one of our meetings over cyberpunk and said, "I want to do Witcher, and this is how we'll do it." That speaks of a lot of exciting world and character that people want to interact with.

One thing that was surprising to see was that the game is a first-person experience, which is a big change from CD Projekt Red's last games. Do you feel the change to first-person was a necessary thing for Cyberpunk?

This is where I put my designer hat on, and I get to put on both my table and my video game designer hat, both. This is why it's important. The one thing is the state of the character, the interfaces they use, the drugs they take, the way they deal with their implants--it's all very, very internal to the head of the character, and if you step out of that out [into a third-person view] it becomes a busy hub that you're tracking. On another technical level, the world is massively immersive and if you're stepped back from that into a third person avatar dummy, you are not really part a part of it.

I'll give you an example. I went and walked over at one point to another character's car and as I was walking, somebody that I never actually saw in the crowd, makes a comment and they're talking about some problem they're having with their girlfriend, and it was peripheral, it was in my hearing. I didn't see the person and I really was interested in this story that was going on. I wanted to know more about this. My belief is that third person, has a lot of good places. In this particular case, I think first-person was best because it could provide more than just the immersion, it could provide the tools for you to perceive the world and make decisions that were proper within that world. If I have 360 view, I see everything and I know where the bad guys are coming from all the time, it is kind of a shooter where we're setting up the targets.

If I am immersed in it, then I'm having to take split second decisions that feel real because in real life, you don't know what those guys, 300 feet away are doing. If one pulls out a gun, you have to make a decision. You. That's important if you're going to be immersed in a world and particularly when you're dealing with a game that is so heavily role playing driven as this game is.

It's been so long since the last trailer was released. What's it like seeing the game, which is based on your original material, come to life in such a big way?

Probably seeing the actual play session that you guys have seen now in the internal sessions. Seeing that and going, "Damn, yeah, okay," and mainly because what I saw in there was all the potential. It wasn't just, "Wow that's a really cool gun, wow, that's a really good army jacket, yeah I really like V and it's a great character. It was also seeing all the potential ways you could go with that story and with those characters. That was amazing. It was sort of like saying, "Okay, they got it," I'm watching somebody else's cyberpunk game right now and they're running a pretty damn good game that I want to be playing in.

Last edited by a moderator:

KK1001

Arbiter
Doing a large, dense city is actually way more suitable for an open world game, because the scale is a lot more realistic.

It simultaneously solves the dual problems of open world: too big to have meaningful content density- making fast travel a requirement - but too small to be immersive. Night City should be around 60-70 km, about half the size of the Witcher 3's map, but with a vertical density to more than make up for this.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...le_Designing_the_quests_of_Cyberpunk_2077.php

'It can never be that simple': Designing the quests of Cyberpunk 2077

As Cyberpunk 2077 continues to be one of the most discussed games of last week's E3, it's worth taking a step back and asking "why is there so much interest in this game anyway?"

For many developers, it's partly because when they recall The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, they don't just recall a beautiful-looking game, they recall a game whose quests and story missions managed to be consistently surprising and rewarding at every turn.

For CD Projekt Red, that not only means delivering on the promises of freedom made in their E3 marketing push, it also means channeling that freedom into bespoke stories that reward (and prod) the player based on the choices they've made.

After we checked out the colorful demo last week, quest designer Patrick Mills was able to sit down with Gamasutra and discuss the process of making quests that stick with the player after they're gone.

Rules for questing
Before diving into the quests we saw in Cyberpunk, it's worth asking, what was CD Projekt Red's philosophy that helped its Witcher 3 quests stand out so much?

According to Mills, it's the idea that every quest, big and small, needs a "twist," preferably several of them. "We don't want to make a situation where someone says 'I've got a job, I need you to do the job...' then you handle the situation, then you go back to them and they say 'thank you very much. It can never be that simple."

In The Witcher 3, one frequently-discussed version of this quest rule was The Bloody Baron, a seemingly straightforward rescue mission that spiraled into a nightmare of domestic abuse and a lost pregnancy, but these examples spilled into the seemingly non-narrative contract system too. One contract that we discussed with Mills began with a simple ghost hunt, but slowly evolved into a kangaroo court trial and a finally a vision quest, none of which was dramatically signaled to the player before the story began.

To evolve on that philosophy, Mills says that CD Projekt's Goal as it began to double down on development for Cyberpunk 2077 was a desire to account for players being able to do quests in different orders "if it's logically possible." This philosophy informed the development of The Witcher 3's two expansion packs, but in Cyberpunk, Mills says the goal is to create game logic that keeps track of those varying paths, even if the realized differences aren't that noticeable.

Referring to the demo seen at E3, he points out how the player can either head straight to an appointment with a crime lord named Dex, or head for a scheduled appointment with their "ripperdoc" (a street doctor who provides cybernetic augmentations). "Those scenes pretty much play out more or less the same, but there are little bits of reaction, little bits of differences, even something as simple as that, you want to make sure they reference one another."

Inspirations and philosophy
From a production perspective, Mills says that CD Projekt Red's general goal is to ensure quest designers have ownership over all quests they're authoring. So not only are they conceiving it and pitching it, they're designing the game logic and nursing it to life alongside other designers, programmers, artists, and QA. On his own quests, Mills says he likes to start with a high-level theme or vibrant character that can help anchor the experience, and drive the aforementioned twists he has to work in.

When pushed to discuss inspiration outside the original Cyberpunk tabletop game, Mills jumps to a somewhat surprising reference --- the title of a Blonde Readhead album. "The title is 'Fake Can Be Just As Good,' and I go "okay, I like that, let's figure out how to do that."

Mills says that particular phase has been bouncing around his head since he first listened to that particular album, and it's a phrase he thinks intersects with the game he's been hired to work on. "When it comes to something like Cyberpunk, where that sort of theme is already in there, let's bring that out and let's look at it from different angles."

As always, it's worth noting that there is no "ideas person" in game design, and when Mills or any of his cohorts need to create uniquely flavored ideas, they have to go down a pipeline of programmers, artists, QA, etc. And some of those unique ideas might cause stoppages in that pipeline, or just outright cause it to explode. In Mills' experience, quest designers shouldn't necessarily avoid those moments, but at least depart with clear takeaways from what went wrong, and what can be done to improve future quests.

As Mills says, "the hope is at least, it creates a whole pipeline thing, and now that you've done it once, now you know how to do it again."

Treating game design like a maze
One interesting tidbit that emerged from our conversation with Mills is that this far along into development, (Mills has technically been working on Cyberpunk 2077 since before his time on The Witcher 3), certain foundational design moments like the choices for the player character's backstory are still up to change. And when those key changes occur, it creates ripple effects in the many logic frameworks that Mills and his colleagues have built.

To account for those changes, Mills of course says that accounting for them requires "a lot of planning, lots of good production teams," etc, but also a mentality that none of the prior work was "wasted" just because it's changed. "I sometimes compare the way we work to being in a maze," says Mills. "You know the maze has an exit, but sometimes you'll take a wrong turn in a maze."

"And it could take a long time before you realize it's a dead end, and once you reach that dead end, you have to be willing to go and walk all the way back. You can't just give up and say 'this is the end of the maze!' You have to find your way out again."

And if there's anything Mills hopes other developers learn from Cyberpunk 2077, it's that quest design as a discipline is "important," and deserves to be recognized in job roles and team structure. "Quest design is not level design. It's not story design. It's not cinematic design. It's--it's a job that combines those things and facilitates and coordinates those teams."

"This is the first place I've ever had this specific breakdown of responsibilities. It's how we make our quests, by having dedicated quest designers who are, in essence, directors of the many individual stories that a story is made up of."

For more of Mills' thoughts on what makes for good quests in video games, be sure to read how he says the CD Projekt Red QA team has helped the company's quest designers catch offensive or inappropriate moments early in the process.

Latelistener

Arcane
4fgIjQDpkdk.jpg

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I hope they have a playable demo or something at Gamescom. Going to be the first conference I go to so that would be cool.

It will probably;y not happen but still :))

Quillon

Arcane
I was excited but its passing cos game's a long way away yet. And I'm not sure if whatever they saw in the demo that left them so impressed will hold out after all the optimizations they will do.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
uhhhh why do we need cover systems in a FPS

Because a controler doesn't have enouth spare buttons to lean unless the game simplifies other things.
rainbow six siege , an fps with better combat than this game , has leaning on a controller with buttons.

Battlefield 4 and onwards, has contextual leaning on console.

Dishonored games have leaning on controller.

PUBG has it too

Sykar

Arcane
uhhhh why do we need cover systems in a FPS

Because a controler doesn't have enouth spare buttons to lean unless the game simplifies other things.
rainbow six siege , an fps with better combat than this game , has leaning on a controller with buttons.

Battlefield 4 and onwards, has contextual leaning on console.

Dishonored games have leaning on controller.

PUBG has it too

You know this how exactly?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom