Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Black

Arcane
I don't know if it's good that Vice endorses you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Vice recommended or not, last time I played Deus Ex I used GMDX and loved it. Lots of common sense updates without making the game feel radically changed. That was a couple updates ago but still...

Ash

Arcane
Speaking of, it's interesting that no one has published an analytical graphical comparison between the two. There was one brief vid by a Deus Ex fan but that was of v8.0. It was v9.0 where I knuckled down most with the Enhanced Artistic Direction. But I suppose it doesn't really matter, as one aims to faithfully enhance the look, the other takes its own direction.

It could have been a worse; it could have been Kotaku or Buzzfeed (eventuality both will cover GMDX, in time).

Kotaku did some time ago, v7.0 or so. And yeah, it wasn't great.

Ash

Arcane
So have you ever done a comparison video wise between your vids and the competition?

No. Would be terribly biased for a start. e.g I'd pick the best shots. I was just pondering after reading quiteadecentusername's post. I wrongly expected youtube gamers/game journos/fans to draw comparisons like this. The two are compared in fan discourse time and time again, but nobody ever really put it to video/screenshot collage. It would very likely be bound to be biased either way, I guess.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Thought I'd tease two interesting sets of new features that are nearly finished. The first is the new addiction system, and the second is an overhaul of weapon-related perks to remove any duplicates and further distinguish weapon types.

All new addiction system for drugs:
There are three types of addiction: nicotine, alcohol, and zyme. Using a substance adds to an addiction meter, and passing a threshold (50%) makes you addicted to that substance. Use of each substance applies a temporary buff, but also produces withdrawal effects if you become addicted, temporarily curable by consuming more of the substance (but this makes you more addicted). The addiction meter goes down gradually as you progress through the game but NOT with time, so there's no point waiting it out. The Toxicologist perk will also allow you to detox yourself a bit with each medkit to the torso (or use of a medbot? Haven't decided), good for if you want to use drugs a lot. The effects are as follows:
  • Cigarettes
    • Use Buff: Aim stabilizes more quickly (+100%)
    • Withdrawal Debuff: Increased stamina usage when running (+100%), reduced stamina regeneration (-50%)
    • Addiction Increment Per Use: 20%
    • Duration: 1 min (refreshes)
  • Alcohol
    • Use Buff: Increased torso max health by +5 (allows temporary overhealing before fights, stacks 5 times)
    • Withdrawal Debuff: Accuracy penalty (-15%)
    • Addiction Increment Per Use: 5%
    • Duration: 2 min (stacks up to 10 min)
  • Zyme
    • Use Buff: Increased stamina regeneration (+100%), combat speed (+50%), combat strength (+50%), and no stamina penalty for melee strikes
    • Withdrawal Debuff: Reduced max torso health (-10)
    • Addiction Increment Per use: 60% (become addicted immediately!)
    • Duration: 1 min (stacks up to 2 min)
NOTE: need to add UI elements for buffs/debuffs, addiction meters in Health -> Status, rework drunk/drugged effects, and do Toxicologist perk (maybe medbot instead?)

You'll notice a rock-paper-scissors design to the drug buffs/debuffs -- alcohol improves your max health but can hurt your aim if you get addicted; this can be alleviated with cigarettes, but getting addicted to those will hurt your stamina usage; this can be circumvented with zyme but immediate addiction to such will hurt your max health; this can be remedied with alcohol, and so on. This should hopefully keep things dynamic, and give some incentive to go for a narco playstyle (especially on Hardcore). The basic system and the effects are in, but some supporting elements still need to be finished. I've removed the view rotation associated with alcohol, but would like more elaborate effects to replace it if possible. I also hope to make bar NPCs angry if you steal booze and food right in front of them, so the bartender option isn't nearly pointless (can still be circumvented with the new Sleight of Hand perk).

Now onto the weapon perks overhaul:
  • Pistols
    • SIDEARM (Requires Trained, 150 SP): An agent's stability while aiming does not reset when swapping to a pistol
    • ONE-HANDED (Requires Advanced, 100 SP): An agent learns to be ambidextrous while handling pistols, with accuracy penalties only applying to the highest health arm
    • HUMAN COMBUSTION (Requires Master, 250 SP): An agent modifies flare darts with a napalm combustion tube which ignites upon deep penetration of materials
  • Rifles
    • STEADY (Requires Trained, 200 SP): An agent's aim stabilization is accelerated by 25%.
    • STOPPING POWER (Requires Advanced, 150 SP): An agent can stop an enemy in their tracks with a shotgun blast, gaining bonus damage (+25%) when every pellet hits a single target
    • MARKSMAN (Requires Master, 200 SP): An agent aims down a rifle’s scope 30% faster, handles rifle recoil efficiently, and sway when looking through a rifle's scope is reduced marginally
  • Heavy
    • CONTROLLED BURN (Requires Trained, 200 SP): An agent is trained with the use of the flamethrower, ensuring that the igniting fuel is not blocked by targets
    • BLAST ENERGY (Requires Advanced, 250 SP): An agent tunes the plasma rifle to reduce the amount that damage decays within the same blast radius by 50%
    • H.E ROCKET (Requires Master, 400 SP): The blast radius of an agent's GEP rockets is increased two-fold

The Sidearm perk is a great choice for anyone who wants to invest into a backup pistol. I wanted something special for shotguns, hence the stopping power perk which essentially just helps you confirm kills on full shotgun blasts (you don't need as many pellets to hit someone's head this way). There's now a specialized Heavy perk for each weapon in the class. Here's a comparison of the plasma explosion damage ratios (this was harder to figure out than you might imagine):

SjTCL37.png

Finally, here's a video displaying the new Controlled Burn perk in all its glory. Holy crap it's so fun you guys, you have no idea.

I'm running out of fun stuff to implement, and have to buckle down and finish the boring stuff soon (supporting UI, minor map changes, bugfixing, updating descriptions), so expect fewer cool updates as I get closer to release. I'm still aiming for late July/early August to have my addon out. The basic 9.0.4 patch will be at least another month. Thanks for waiting!

RoSoDude

Arcane
Only a small design change, but quite a lot of work -- I just finished hardcoding the hacking skill checks for every computer terminal in GMDX. I won't be listing them in the changelist even though I did write them all down, because I want there to be some element of surprise to avoid encouraging metagaming. Some design notes:
  • Skill requirements are designed to offer rewards for hacking investment at various points in the game, as well as to gate more potent solutions to hard challenges
  • Some skill requirements are also put high to emphasize alternate solutions (esp. passwords), others to add world-building and flavor (tech wizards have better antivirus!)
  • Each mission should have a mix of low and high hacking skill requirements in support of path balance and to assure that all levels of hacking feel worthwhile throughout
  • Higher skill requirements on critical path terminals go hand in hand with slightly increased frequency of nuke virus and stop worm softwares (but not so much that Master isn't worth it)
  • Any computer with no utility or readable content will have a security level no higher than trained so as not to act as fool's gold (however, there should also be emails readable on some Trained PCs so as not to mislead the Trained hacker that there are no emails to be read!)
The vast majority of hacking skill requirements were randomized before (aside from a few key terminals and a few high skill requirements for some truly valuable terminals). This is actually not a bad solution compared to others which are similarly easy to implement (such as having only Trained level terminals in the 1st act, Advanced in the 2nd act, and Master in the 3rd), as it ensures that all levels of skill investment are rewarded throughout the course of the game and that the player can't plan an a priori character build which obtains maximum benefit from hacking at the least cost. That more of them were randomized was also better than if it had been only a few, since it reduced the overall variance felt by the player (that is, it's less likely that the average skill requirement in a playthrough would be too high or too low). But hardcoding them all gives the designer (now, me) more control over path balance and reduces the variance to zero, which I regard as a win. Time will tell if I did a good job balancing them, however.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
The vast majority? I set by hand the requirement of every plot/progression-specific comp, many optional high reward comps or that generally should be set by hand for various reasons (e.g all sec comps on the first level are set by hand; none should be master), and intended for personal computers to almost never require any skill beyond vanilla trained (very low odds, and if I recall never master level either, only trained or advanced).
Between very low odds and low requirements for personal computers, and approx 33% of sec and ATMs set by hand, I'd say around half of computers I had full or reasonable control over. And as you know this mix of by hand and rand I think is very good, but I also approve of setting them all by hand for optimal design control, to the minor detriment of dynamism and replayability boosts.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
It was only a slight exaggeration -- I just counted, and roughly 25% of security terminals were hardcoded before (much higher percentage of ATMs). My sense of this was a bit off only because the vast majority of personal computers were randomized but only with a 10% chance to be Advanced level, which is practically like most of them being hardcoded to Trained. And granted, all the terminals that were hardcoded are good choices, though I've made some tweaks. Will be looking over the list a few times before I go live, too.

RoSoDude

Arcane
HansDampf I haven't since before I started working on my addon, which was January of this year. Don't know when my last full playthrough was before that. Hoping to do one before my addon releases (still on track for late July/early August) to allow for any last-minute adjustments, but we'll see if I have the time. Concerned that I've become myopic about balance? Hope not, but I have been extrapolating from prescribed test scenarios, as you do. Who knows, maybe my addon will be an unadulterated mess, that's what you guys are here to tell me :)

RoSoDude

Arcane
Just remembered that I should probably post this: Veronika (the developer behind the project to port Deus Ex to Unreal Engine 2) made a fix for the HDR feature in the D3D10 renderer, and gave me permission to upload it as an addon.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/veronikas-hdr-brightness-fix

Veronika's HDR brightness fix

This hdr.fx file disables the brightness auto-adjustment effect that occurred when using the HDR lighting feature in the D3D10 renderer (ClassicLighting = False).
The brightness would dynamically darken in the presence of bright lights, but would take up to 30 seconds to readjust, apparently for attempted realism.
This created real problems during gameplay whenever bright flashes or many light sources were viewed at once, e.g. from explosions.
The preview image shows the lasting effect of looking at several flares before and after the fix. The game would become unreasonably dark before, but renders without issue after the fix.

Unborked_Brightness.png

Two more addons were also uploaded recently. One is a revert of the HDTP Dragon's Tooth to the vanilla model and animations, and the other is a custom tweak of GMDX with some difficulty and balance adjustments. As for my own work, I'm almost ready to post another update, and am still on schedule for a release within the month. Just finishing up some system tweaks, supporting UI, and polishing. Only 12,000 micro-issues remaining.

Last edited:
Trying GMDX right now. Normal difficulty, because I'm a fucking casual. So far it's great fun. My new favourite thing is banging on the wall with crowbar, then hiding. When the enemy comes to check the noise, smack him on the head with a baton.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Okay, final stretches here. I got a lot done the last two weeks, and have finished 80% of what's on my final to-do list despite allowing it to quadruple in size over the same period.

Confirmed Changes for 9.0.4 (highlights):
  • No more hidden influence of weapon max range on accuracy -- your reticule will communicate a consistent level of accuracy for all weapons
  • Rework to the wearables system for convenience and to fix an exploit. Using, recharging, and discarding a wearable will always operate on the top one in the stack. When you pick up a new Ballistic Armor/Hazmat Suit/Thermoptic Camo/Tech Goggles/Rebreather, its charge is added to the top item, and any overflow over 100% is given to a new wearable on top, up to the 1/2/3/4 wearables as governed by the Evironmental Training skill. Activating a body armor will automatically deactivate any currently active armors, with no more annoying messages telling you to do it yourself. Also, biocell recharge rates for wearables have been updated (rebreather recharge nerfed to 10% per biocell) and now properly display on the inventory screen
  • Made the "Perks" button on the Skills/Perks screen dynamically swap between "Perks" and "Info" so you can toggle between the two while viewing multiple skills
  • Rangefinder added to the binoculars
  • Rework of secondary items to feature Tech Goggles, Binoculars, Flares, and (if you have the Combat Medic's Bag perk) Medkits and Biocells
  • Miscellaneous fixes to weapon and AI behavior
  • "Halve Ammo Capacity" menu option (unlocked after beating the game once) fixed
  • Damage taken by the player now rounds properly, rather than just truncating during conversion to an int
    • e.g. 9 damage from an assault rifle would always round down to 6/4/4/3 with active Ballistic Protection, but now rounds properly to 6/5/4/3
  • Box of WP rockets in Sam Carter's cabinet in the second UNATCO visit moved back so the cabinet can be opened
  • Fixed a bug where laser dots would remain on map transition
  • Inventory overlap exploit fixed
  • Stealth Pistol ROF no longer messes up if you have it modded for full auto and switch ammo types
  • Damage done to the four "corner" wedges on the head will no longer count as torso damage for some unfathomable reason (GMDX fixed the multiplier, but still counted as torso damage like vanilla)
  • Made the door to Flight Control #2 in the Hong Kong MJ12 Helibase frobbable in case the player gets locked outside it (sometimes the AI close the door and just stare at you through it?)
  • Reduced two sources of randomization (position + velocity) from crate item spawning to hopefully cut down on the issue of items spawning outside of walls?
  • Fixed the reload time on the minicrossbow doubling if you switched ammo types
  • Refactored code related to standing accuracy bonuses, headshot multipliers, and stun duration
  • Equalized credit distributions in a few ATMs (Underworld Bar visit 2, Paris Metro)
  • Lootable enemy ammo counts are now randomized on first map load, rather than on loot
  • GMDX difficulty modifiers are now enforced on first map load only
  • The counts of ammo pickups found in the world are now displayed for the player
  • Using a biocell now reports the actual amount of energy gained if the player is at or near full charge
  • Left click interact now equips weapons from in the world as it did in previous versions of GMDX
  • Attempted a fix for the GEP Gun not making the inventory transfer in the MJ12 Prison level
  • Fixed binocular/GEP gun zoom issues
  • Fixed the robot alliance settings on the security computers in the Naval Shipyard only working one time each
RoSoDude's GMDX Addon Changes (highlights):
  • Full overhaul of hitscan range mechanics to make range modification more meaningful
  • New laser mod behavior with simulated aim waver and recoil to make continued skill/mod investment worthwhile while still offering a clear and logical benefit to its use
  • The Athletics skill now improves the player's reach when mantling
  • The Stealth skill now makes the player hide 0/15/30/45% better in darkness when sneaking, in addition to sneaking and slow-walking faster (its perk-like benefits to actual perks later, see below)
  • The Demolitions skill now allows you to carry 5/7/10/15 grenades of any particular type
  • Minor skill rebalancing, including cost adjustments, changing Medicine scaling from 30/60/75/90 to 30/45/65/90, and adjusting the Lockpicking and Electronics skills' scaling on different difficulties (vanilla 10/25/40/75% on Easy; 10/15/25/50% on Realistic, Medium, and Hard; 5/10/20/45% on Hardcore)
  • Run Silent now offers half of Speed Enhancement's groundspeed bonus (5/10/15/20%), not while jumping. Should be more competitive with its complementary aug as well as with crouchwalking with the Stealth skill
  • The Passive Ballistic Protection augmentation no longer drains energy when taking damage, but instead offers up to 20/25/30/35% protection proportional to the user's current bioenergy level
  • New Ammo Capacity augmentation to replace Energy Transference. Buffs all maximum ammo capacities by 20/30/40/50%. Weapon skills now also buff ammo capacities by 0/10/25/50%. To compensate, all base ammo capacities have been roughly halved.
  • Tranquilizer darts now break on contact on Hardcore mode to prevent farming via AI abuse
  • The crossbow now loads one dart at a time, while the Assault Shotgun loads a clip at a time
  • Can now press the frob key (default RMB) to set the Spy Drone in place and resume control of JC. Press the Drone aug key again to resume control of the drone.
  • Throwing Knives now require the Inventive perk to be assigned as a secondary weapon (discussions are already underway about reverting this, ha)
  • Stamina no longer regenerates while crouched and standing still to make stamina management matter more to stealth players
  • Perk overhauls:
    • Sleight of Hand, new Trained Lockpicking perk, allows an agent to pick locks and commit acts of theft without arousing suspicion from onlookers
    • Trained and Advanced Athletics perk merged into Trained perk "Perserverance", costs 100 SP (no blurring when drowning, damage to legs does not hinder movement speed)
    • Adrenaline, Advanced Athletics perk, now gives 30% stamina return on melee eliminations
    • Master Stealth perk merged into Master Athletics perk (still called Endurance, still costs 300 SP).
    • Security Loophole, new Advanced Stealth perk, now grants +50% camera detection time and laser grids no longer activate on contact with the legs (camera detection time was misreported as +45% for Advanced Stealth, was actually +52.73%)
    • Diversionary Tactic, new Master Stealth perk, allows the player to distract transgenics with corpses (will include improved sound distraction against humans later)
    • Repairman, new Trained Environmental Training perk, now makes biocells 1.5x as effective when repairing/recharging equipment (replaces Steady-Footed perk)
    • Turret Domination, new Master Hacking perk, replaces Neat Hack. You'll need this perk to alter turret targeting parameters, whether you're hacking or used the login (but you can now always disable turrets if whether hacked in or logged in)
    • Doorsman, Trained Lockpicking perk, is now required to see door damage thresholds in addition to reducing them by 5
    • Modder, Trained Hacking perk, makes the STOP worm effect permanent rather than just lasting 50% longer
  • SecurityBot4 (the MJ12 one that cloaks) now rapid-fires plasma bolts instead of bullets and rockets
  • Can now repair/recharge equipment with the repairbot. Repairbots and medbots are now limited to 3 uses on Medium/Hard, and 2 uses on Realistic/Hardcore.
  • Sabot rounds are now truly slug rounds, and do 18 damage at base. They, along with AP ammo, now do 0.5x damage to soft targets (was 0.7x), 2.0x damage to robots, 1.5 damage to MJ12 Commandos, and 1.0x damage to helmets
  • Helmet behavior refined, with more protection from the sides/back as well as improved sound feedback, including 6 new ricochet sounds. Headshot behavior refined in general
  • Auto turrets can now have a maximum of 100 rounds, with improved targeting behavior (no longer shoot at inanimate objects)
  • The player's ammo is now taken away at the start of the MJ12 prison escape on the Hardcore difficulty, and placed inside a new (vanilla but unused in singleplayer) ammo crate in the armory which can be frobbed to retrieve it. More ammo has been scattered throughout the level to compensate
  • Taser dart pickup count changed from 2->3 in line with all other dart types (it's already rare enough in the world), and now deal 0 damage so they can only stun, not KO
  • Reloading resets the player's standing accuracy bonus on Hardcore mode
  • Death sound radius increased from 14ft to 21ft (was roughly 31ft vanilla) to punish overly dominant lethal stealth tactics
  • Liberty Island laser mod reinstated on Hardcore
  • Added an Assault Shotgun to the locked armory in the MJ12 Sewers to allow perceptive players to choose between shotguns earlier (not "wasting" mods on a Sawed-Off by accident)
  • Pistol and Stealth Pistol range/accuracy stats swapped and stealth pistol ROF buffed to emphasize the Pistol as a pocket sniper and the Stealth Pistol as a CQC tool
  • Added granularity to the Heavy weapon movement speed penalty, can be partially or fully reduced by the Heavy weapons skill, the Micofibral Muscle aug, or a combination thereof (only need Advanced skill + Tech Two for full removal, or maxed either)
  • All new addiction system for drugs (cigarettes/alcohol/zyme). Using grants a temporary buff, but adds to an addiction meter. Passing a threshold makes you addicted, incurring withdrawal symptoms when the drug is not in effect. Addiction wears off as you progress through the game.
    • Cigarettes temporarily make your aim close in faster, but hurt your stamina in withdrawal. Moderately addictive.
    • Alcohol increases your torso max health, but reduces your base accuracy in withdrawal. Slightly addictive.
    • Zyme increases combat speed/strength and stamina regen, but reduces torso max health in withdrawal. Extremely addictive.
  • Reworked weapon perks to make weapon types more distinct:
    • Pistol perks
      • SIDEARM: Maintain standing accuracy bonus when swapping to a pistol
      • ONE-HANDED: Accuracy is calculated with the highest health arm
      • HUMAN COMBUSTION: Flare darts light people on fire (was Advanced perk)
    • Rifle perks
      • FOCUSED: Standing accuracy bonus accelerated by 25%
      • STOPPING POWER: Hitting all of your shotgun pellets on an enemy grants an extra 25% damage
      • MARKSMAN: Scope in 30% faster, reduced recoil and scope sway
    • Heavy perks
      • CONTROLLED BURN: Flamethrower napalm passes through enemies rather than stopping on contact
      • BLAST ENERGY: Plasma rifle splash damage increased within the radius
      • H.E. ROCKET: Increased GEP splash radius
  • Throwing Knife damage nerfed from 18->16, headshot multiplier increased from x8->x9, base accuracy reduced from 75->70%, now only buffed by Combat Strength and not Combat Speed. Always retrieve only one knife from any enemy hit, rather than 70% chance to retrieve each one.
  • Hardcoded the hacking skill requirements for all terminals to tightly control rewards for differential skill investment
  • Removed the Aug Override Canister and swapped the aug canister in Simon's safe in the Naval Shipyard for another Ballistic Protection so you can install both types (Active overrides Passive)
  • Added 4x increased energy drain to standing in lasers with Radar Transparency and a small drain for carrying heavy objects with Microfibral Muscle
  • Power Recirculator and Synthetic Heart are now fully passive, and any aug installed after the latter still gets the +1 bonus
  • Removed extraneous projectiles (e.g. fireballs, throwing knives) from the list of objects that ADS blocks
  • Reworked stun duration so it now scales on 1/2 of weapon damage (e.g. riot prod stuns for 8s at Untrained, taser darts for 5s at Untrained). Taser darts still deal no actual damage, but listed as 10 for this purpose
  • Removed augmented throwing of inventory items with the Microfibral Muscle aug, since I apparently hate fun
  • Increased Sniper Rifle inventory size from 3x1 to 4x1 (vanilla) to reflect its potency and enforce more stringent equipment choices
  • Scrambler grenades now deactivate the player's augmentation system for a number of seconds equal to scrambler damage taken
  • Changed the Radar Transparency effects to a solid animated texture overlay
  • Halve Ammo Capacity option is now forced on in Hardcore+
  • Added working fan speed control to the new Area 51 ventilation room, including reduced gravity

GMDX 9.0.4 Confirmed Changelist:
https://pastebin.com/Q2iKsfqp
Full RSD Addon Changelist:
https://pastebin.com/CrRy97fh

See the WIP Status tab detailing current drug addiction status and effects:
where you'll also find the current health listed as 101% because I didn't remember to fix it, yay
IcraOKr.png

...whew. Only a week or so to go. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
All right, I'm releasing a beta today. I thought about just releasing it as-is, but I frankly ran out of time to really polish it up and properly test it (I gave it one Hardcore run and did some last-minute changes, but I already remembered a few issues as I was uploading the installer...).

Changelists (the beta for the addon is what you're getting today):

Confirmed Changes for 9.0.4 (highlights):
  • No more hidden influence of weapon max range on accuracy -- your reticule will communicate a consistent level of accuracy for all weapons
  • Rework to the wearables system for convenience and to fix an exploit. Using, recharging, and discarding a wearable will always operate on the top one in the stack. When you pick up a new Ballistic Armor/Hazmat Suit/Thermoptic Camo/Tech Goggles/Rebreather, its charge is added to the top item, and any overflow over 100% is given to a new wearable on top, up to the 1/2/3/4 wearables as governed by the Evironmental Training skill. Activating a body armor will automatically deactivate any currently active armors, with no more annoying messages telling you to do it yourself. Also, biocell recharge rates for wearables have been updated (rebreather recharge nerfed to 10% per biocell) and now properly display on the inventory screen
  • Made the "Perks" button on the Skills/Perks screen dynamically swap between "Perks" and "Info" so you can toggle between the two while viewing multiple skills
  • Rangefinder added to the binoculars
  • Rework of secondary items to feature Tech Goggles, Binoculars, Flares, and (if you have the Combat Medic's Bag perk) Medkits and Biocells
  • Miscellaneous fixes to weapon and AI behavior
  • "Halve Ammo Capacity" menu option (unlocked after beating the game once) fixed
  • Damage taken by the player now rounds properly, rather than just truncating during conversion to an int
    • e.g. 9 damage from an assault rifle would always round down to 6/4/4/3 with active Ballistic Protection, but now rounds properly to 6/5/4/3
  • Box of WP rockets in Sam Carter's cabinet in the second UNATCO visit moved back so the cabinet can be opened
  • Fixed a bug where laser dots would remain on map transition
  • Inventory overlap exploit fixed
  • Stealth Pistol ROF no longer messes up if you have it modded for full auto and switch ammo types
  • Damage done to the four "corner" wedges on the head will no longer count as torso damage for some unfathomable reason (GMDX fixed the multiplier, but still counted as torso damage like vanilla)
  • Made the door to Flight Control #2 in the Hong Kong MJ12 Helibase frobbable in case the player gets locked outside it (sometimes the AI close the door and just stare at you through it?)
  • Reduced two sources of randomization (position + velocity) from crate item spawning to hopefully cut down on the issue of items spawning outside of walls?
  • Fixed the reload time on the minicrossbow doubling if you switched ammo types
  • Refactored code related to standing accuracy bonuses, headshot multipliers, and stun duration
  • Equalized credit distributions in a few ATMs (Underworld Bar visit 2, Paris Metro)
  • Lootable enemy ammo counts are now randomized on first map load, rather than on loot
  • The counts of ammo pickups found in the world are now displayed for the player
  • Using a biocell now reports the actual amount of energy gained if the player is at or near full charge
  • Left click interact now equips weapons from in the world as it did in previous versions of GMDX
  • Attempted a fix for the GEP Gun not making the inventory transfer in the MJ12 Prison level
  • Fixed binocular/GEP gun zoom issues
  • Fixed the robot alliance settings on the security computers in the Naval Shipyard only working one time each
  • Added some seemingly missing code related to new GMDX HUD features which should maybe cut down on crashes during game loads?
  • Limited camera hack strength for Hard and below/Realistic/Hardcore to 10/15/20% to encourage multitool use (some were as high as 80% from vanilla values, change intended in GMDX but removed)
  • Limited turret hack strength for Hard and below/Realistic and above to 25/50% to encourage multitool use
  • Reworked GMDX difficulty scaling so it still goes into effect every time the game is loaded, except for some parameters which are altered on first map load only
  • Fixed Run Silent giving DIMINISHING fall protection as you upgrade it (was 26.25/22.5/18.75/15 reduction, now 18.75/22.5/26.25/30, compare with 31.5/33/34.5/36 from Speed Enhancement)
RoSoDude's GMDX Addon Changes (highlights):
  • Full overhaul of hitscan range mechanics to make range modification more meaningful
  • New laser mod behavior with simulated aim waver and recoil to make continued skill/mod investment worthwhile while still offering a clear and logical benefit to its use
  • The Athletics skill now improves the player's reach when mantling
  • The Stealth skill now makes the player hide 0/15/30/45% better in darkness when sneaking, in addition to sneaking and slow-walking faster (moved its perk-like benefits to actual perks, see below)
  • The Demolitions skill now allows you to carry 5/7/10/15 grenades of any particular type
  • Minor skill rebalancing, including cost adjustments, changing Medicine scaling from 30/60/75/90 to 30/45/65/90, and adjusting the Lockpicking and Electronics skills' scaling on different difficulties (vanilla 10/25/40/75% on Easy; 10/15/25/50% on Realistic, Medium, and Hard; 5/10/20/50% on Hardcore)
  • Run Silent now offers half of Speed Enhancement's groundspeed bonus (5/10/15/20%), not while jumping. Should be more competitive with its complementary aug as well as with crouchwalking with the Stealth skill
  • The Passive Ballistic Protection augmentation no longer drains energy when taking damage, but instead offers up to 35% protection proportional to 100/80/60/40% of the user's current bioenergy level
  • New Ammo Capacity augmentation to replace Energy Transference. Buffs all maximum ammo capacities by 20/30/40/50%. Weapon skills now also buff ammo capacities by 0/10/25/50%. To compensate, all base ammo capacities have been roughly halved.
  • Tranquilizer darts now break on contact on Hardcore mode to prevent farming via AI abuse
  • The crossbow now loads one dart at a time, while the Assault Shotgun loads a clip at a time
  • Can now press the frob key (default RMB) to set the Spy Drone in place and resume control of JC. Press the Drone aug key again to resume control of the drone.
  • Stamina no longer regenerates while crouched and standing still to make stamina management matter more to stealth players
  • Perk overhauls:
    • Sleight of Hand, new Trained Lockpicking perk, allows an agent to pick locks and commit acts of theft without arousing suspicion from onlookers
    • Trained and Advanced Athletics perk merged into Trained perk "Perserverance", costs 100 SP (no blurring when drowning, damage to legs does not hinder movement speed)
    • Adrenaline, Advanced Athletics perk, now gives 30% stamina return on melee eliminations
    • Master Stealth perk merged into Master Athletics perk (still called Endurance, still costs 300 SP).
    • Security Loophole, new Advanced Stealth perk, now grants +50% camera detection time and laser grids no longer activate on contact with the legs (camera detection time was misreported as +45% for Advanced Stealth, was actually +52.73%)
    • Diversionary Tactic, new Master Stealth perk, allows the player to distract transgenics with corpses (will include improved sound distraction against humans later)
    • Repairman, new Trained Environmental Training perk, now makes biocells 1.5x as effective when repairing/recharging equipment (replaces Steady-Footed perk)
    • Turret Domination, new Master Hacking perk, replaces Neat Hack. You'll need this perk to alter turret targeting parameters, whether you're hacking or used the login (but you can now always disable turrets if whether hacked in or logged in)
    • Doorsman, Trained Lockpicking perk, is now required to see door damage thresholds in addition to reducing them by 5
    • Modder, Trained Hacking perk, makes the STOP worm effect permanent rather than just lasting 50% longer
  • SecurityBot4 (the MJ12 one that cloaks) now rapid-fires plasma bolts instead of bullets and rockets
  • Can now repair/recharge equipment with the repairbot. Repairbots and medbots are now limited to 3 uses on Medium/Hard, and 2 uses on Realistic/Hardcore.
  • Sabot rounds are now truly slug rounds, and do 18 damage at base. They, along with AP ammo, now do 0.5x damage to soft targets (was 0.7x), 2.0x damage to robots, 1.5 damage to MJ12 Commandos, and 1.0x damage to helmets
  • Helmet behavior refined, with more protection from the sides/back as well as improved sound feedback, including 6 new ricochet sounds. Headshot behavior refined in general
  • Auto turrets can now have a maximum of 100 rounds, with improved targeting behavior (no longer shoot at inanimate objects)
  • The player's ammo is now taken away at the start of the MJ12 prison escape on the Hardcore difficulty, and placed inside a new (vanilla but unused in singleplayer) ammo crate in the armory which can be frobbed to retrieve it. More ammo has been scattered throughout the level to compensate
  • Taser dart pickup count changed from 1->3 in line with all other dart types (it's already rare enough in the world), and now deal 0 damage so they can only stun, not KO
  • Reloading resets the player's standing accuracy bonus on Hardcore mode
  • Death sound radius increased from 14ft to 21ft (was roughly 31ft vanilla) to punish overly dominant lethal stealth tactics
  • Liberty Island laser mod reinstated on Hardcore
  • Added an Assault Shotgun to the locked armory in the MJ12 Sewers to allow perceptive players to choose between shotguns earlier (not "wasting" mods on a Sawed-Off by accident)
  • Pistol and Stealth Pistol range/accuracy stats swapped and stealth pistol ROF buffed to emphasize the Pistol as a pocket sniper and the Stealth Pistol as a CQC tool
  • Added granularity to the Heavy weapon movement speed penalty, can be partially or fully reduced by the Heavy weapons skill, the Micofibral Muscle aug, or a combination thereof (only need Advanced skill + Tech Two for full removal, or maxed either)
  • All new addiction system for drugs (cigarettes/alcohol/zyme). Using grants a temporary buff, but adds to an addiction meter. Passing a threshold makes you addicted, incurring withdrawal symptoms when the drug is not in effect. Addiction wears off as you progress through the game.
    • Cigarettes temporarily make your aim close in faster, but hurt your stamina in withdrawal. Moderately addictive.
    • Alcohol increases your torso max health, but reduces your base accuracy in withdrawal. Slightly addictive.
    • Zyme increases combat speed/strength and stamina regen, but reduces torso max health in withdrawal. Extremely addictive.
  • Reworked weapon perks to make weapon types more distinct:
    • Pistol perks
      • SIDEARM: Maintain standing accuracy bonus when swapping to a pistol
      • ONE-HANDED: Accuracy is calculated with the highest health arm
      • HUMAN COMBUSTION: Flare darts light people on fire (was Advanced perk)
    • Rifle perks
      • FOCUSED: Standing accuracy bonus accelerated by 25%
      • STOPPING POWER: Hitting all of your shotgun pellets on an enemy grants an extra 25% damage
      • MARKSMAN: Scope in 30% faster, reduced recoil and scope sway
    • Heavy perks
      • CONTROLLED BURN: Flamethrower napalm passes through enemies rather than stopping on contact
      • BLAST ENERGY: Plasma rifle splash damage increased within the radius
      • H.E. ROCKET: Increased GEP splash radius
  • Throwing Knife damage nerfed from 18->16, headshot multiplier increased from x8->x9, base accuracy reduced from 75->70%, now only buffed by Combat Strength and not Combat Speed. Always retrieve only one knife from any enemy hit, rather than 70% chance to retrieve each one.
  • Hardcoded the hacking skill requirements for all terminals to tightly control rewards for differential skill investment
  • Removed the Aug Override Canister and swapped the aug canister in Simon's safe in the Naval Shipyard for another Ballistic Protection so you can install both types (Active overrides Passive)
  • Added 4x increased energy drain to standing in lasers with Radar Transparency and a small drain for carrying heavy objects with Microfibral Muscle
  • Power Recirculator and Synthetic Heart are now fully passive, and any aug installed after the latter still gets the +1 bonus
  • Removed extraneous projectiles (e.g. fireballs, throwing knives) from the list of objects that ADS blocks
  • Reworked stun duration so it now scales on 1/2 of weapon damage (e.g. riot prod stuns for 8s at Untrained, taser darts for 5s at Untrained). Taser darts still deal no actual damage, but listed as 10 for this purpose
  • Removed augmented throwing of inventory items with the Microfibral Muscle aug, since I apparently hate fun
  • Increased Sniper Rifle inventory size from 3x1 to 4x1 (vanilla) to reflect its potency and enforce more stringent equipment choices
  • Scrambler grenades now deactivate the player's augmentation system for a number of seconds equal to scrambler damage taken
  • Changed the Radar Transparency effects to a solid animated texture overlay
  • Halve Ammo Capacity option is now forced on in Hardcore+
  • Added working fan speed control to the new Area 51 ventilation room, including reduced gravity
  • Added a special option to the security terminal in the Naval Shipyard ventilation area to turn off the fan from inside the facility
  • Maximum burn time with the flamethrower reduced from 40s -> 10s so it's at all relevant to gameplay
  • Reduced Military Bot rocket blast radius from 24 -> 15ft and damage from 240 -> 100 (still direct hit instakill with no Energy Shield)
  • Added a few save points for Hardcore mode to later levels (Paris -> Area 51)
  • Modified Hardcore hunger meter to decay more gradually as you progress through the game
  • Changed some MJ12 Elites back to MJ12 Troops from Vandenberg onward (especially snipers and squads with MIBs) to smooth out the difficulty curve and enable more variety in nonlethal tactics
  • Buffed rubber bullet damage and fixed skill/targeting aug/mods not affecting damage and projectile speed
  • Slightly increased sonar range for Tech Goggles and Vision augs
  • Minor map edits (e.g. resource distribution)

GMDX 9.0.4 Confirmed Changelist:
https://pastebin.com/pj5ZS51h
Full RSD Addon Changelist:
https://pastebin.com/tah8KhhG

Here's the installer. It's the same variety as GMDX v9 (a million thanks to Ash), should just go straight into your Steam or GOG directories. Thanks to my executive tester Lithium Flower for actually testing the installer. My addon is NOT compatible with prior GMDX saves.
https://mega.nz/#!Ob4VwSKD!n9K-oCB6yRnnWzjrb1CSXZxZca2B-Wu9yxOA2qCzz-M

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Only the English translation is updated. Any other language is currently using outdated 9.0.3 localizations
  • The Perks/Info button has a bug -- if you upgrade a skill while on the perks screen, you have to press the button twice again before you can purchase the newly available perk
  • The console is still available on Hardcore mode; we'll call this a feature for the beta in case you run into any game-ruining bugs
  • Hardcore is not available by default, which it really should be for an addon
  • Cigarettes should have 10 maximum copies, not 20
  • Max stack counts for grenades are probably bugged
  • Can't pick up wearables from corpses when you're at max stack count but not full charge
  • Listed Rubber Bullet damage in the inventory is wrong
  • There's a button in the Naval Shipyard elevator which currently does nothing
  • There's a locked and keypadded door in Hell's Kitchen which can close behind you with no button
  • Windows Defender might yell at you for trying to install it. You'll have to temporarily disable it on Windows 10
  • In game descriptions aren't updated since I messed up and copied the new localization file into the wrong place. Copy this file over [Install]\Deus Ex\System\DeusEx.int to get the updated descriptions
  • Energy Transference was not swapped for Ammo Capacity in the Versalife UC Aug canister as intended. Use the cheat command "augadd AugAmmoCap" to install it
Please give feedback here in this thread, here by PM, or visit the GMDX Discord: https://discord.gg/WQeB4T
I'm especially curious to hear about any bugs, balance issues, or clunky design. Is the addiction system dumb? Are my hardcoded hacking skill requirements awful? Do I make your game crash? Let me know. This is my first software release of any real scale, and it's been a bit rushed over the last few days, so I'm sure there's plenty that needs work.

EDIT: Be sure to install the hotfix provided here

Last edited:
wow good job

I literally had to console this man in discord as he was getting ready to upload this thing or compiling or whatever he was doing.

"Lithium-senpai," he asked pitifully, "w-what if the C-codexers dislike m-my addon?"

"But I like your addon," I answered him, my voice as hard as the content of my breeches, "and that is the only thing that matters."

There were no tears that night.

Only lithium dreams.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
  • Scrambler grenades now deactivate the player's augmentation system for a number of seconds equal to scrambler damage taken <-- why not make it the same for enemies ?

Another
1TVWQNP.png

I honestly don't feel like I want to play your addon. Although I'm surprised to see that you didn't nerf the regeneration aug.

Ash

Arcane
Eh even the small number of changes that I don't like are reasonable, well...most of them. A big chunk are :obviously:

Bear in mind everything or nearly everything in the intended patch will also be in his addon, and that's all obvious incline that doesn't need any explanation to be understood.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Another
1TVWQNP.png

I honestly don't feel like I want to play your addon. Although I'm surprised to see that you didn't nerf the regeneration aug.

:dealwithit:
Yes, a major point of the addon is to rebalance some things. In some cases this means the removal/nerfing of things I view as cheesy, with preference towards Hardcore mode (though some things are kept exclusive to it).

However, it's not all anti-fun balancism. There are new features and buffs as well. New secondary items, the ability to recharge equipment with repairbots, drug items made useful, new perks (especially unique weapon perks!), some augs are buffed, some special ammo types are buffed and made more frequent...

As for why scrambler grenades don't affect enemies, ehh, that feature is incomplete anyway. Currently there are very few circumstances where you will be hit by scrambler grenades (other than as splash damage when using them on bots). The question is how EMP grenades and scrambler grenades should be distinct if both can be used on augmented enemies. I haven't put much thought into yet, will be something for the final release hopefully.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Turns out I copied the new localization file into the wrong place and it didn't make its way into the installer. This means all of the new descriptions for skills/perks/augs and such were unchanged from 9.0.3. Copy this file over [Install]\Deus Ex\System\DeusEx.int to get the updated descriptions.

Thanks to a Discord user for pointing this out, and my """Executive Tester""" Lithium Flower for testing the hotfix and hosting the file for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom